• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

House down the street for sale!

Started by FTL_Ian, February 28, 2008, 08:16 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

I'm staying in a really roomy brand new townhouse. My landlord's heating bill was outrageous for a couple of months in the middle of winter. I recommend you go no bigger than you need. Also, look into heating alternatives like wood and pellet stoves.

maulotaur

Quote from: dalebert on May 22, 2008, 07:56 AM NHFT
I'm staying in a really roomy brand new townhouse. My landlord's heating bill was outrageous for a couple of months in the middle of winter. I recommend you go no bigger than you need. Also, look into heating alternatives like wood and pellet stoves.

Yeah, I am a little curious about the "harsh winters" there.  We rarely ever see any snow where I am from, but I certainly would not miss the long humid hot either.  I wonder if more consideration is given to the insulation of the building, or if most people just use more energy & alternate means of producing heat during the cold season.  Anyway, if I can't make the move before the cold starts, I guess I should wait until the next year. 

-Paul in VA

dalebert

Quote from: maulotaur on May 22, 2008, 01:29 PM NHFT
Yeah, I am a little curious about the "harsh winters" there.

Keep in mind, this place is enormous. You will have higher than "normal" heating costs for a few months out of the year, but I think it's more than made up for by all the other savings you'll experience here, and even that can be managed with a few smart decisions. Like don't move into a townhouse that's > 2300 sq ft not counting a huge basement and with no alternative heating all by yourself with no one to split utility costs!

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: maulotaur on May 22, 2008, 01:29 PM NHFT
Quote from: dalebert on May 22, 2008, 07:56 AM NHFT

Yeah, I am a little curious about the "harsh winters" there.  We rarely ever see any snow where I am from, but I certainly would not miss the long humid hot either.  I wonder if more consideration is given to the insulation of the building, or if most people just use more energy & alternate means of producing heat during the cold season.  Anyway, if I can't make the move before the cold starts, I guess I should wait until the next year. 

-Paul in VA

During the energy crunch in the 1970's most houses in New England had their walls and roofs retrofitted in regards to insulation.  Fiberglass, cellulose and foam insulation was introduced through holes in the outside walls.  Insulation was blown in, or, insulation blankets were laid in attics above the living areas.
Since then most houses have been studded with 2 X 6 studs rather than 2 X 4 studs creating a thicker wall that holds more insulation.

maulotaur

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on May 23, 2008, 06:35 AM NHFT
During the energy crunch in the 1970's most houses in New England had their walls and roofs retrofitted in regards to insulation.  Fiberglass, cellulose and foam insulation was introduced through holes in the outside walls.  Insulation was blown in, or, insulation blankets were laid in attics above the living areas.  Since then most houses have been studded with 2 X 6 studs rather than 2 X 4 studs creating a thicker wall that holds more insulation.Since then most houses have been studded with 2 X 6 studs rather than 2 X 4 studs creating a thicker wall that holds more insulation.

Well, I don't think I was around for that energy crunch or would not have cared  ;D, but that seems like a good thing to ask about a home that could be overlooked by someone who is not experienced with the climate there.  So I am assuming that the newer homes built after that time were continued to be fitted in this way.  And speaking of building, I wonder how far out you have to go to find space for building a new smaller home.  I might consider doing this if it did not have to be terribly far out.  Otherwise, I could like to find a place that needs some fixing up and rent out part of it (what I did where I am now).

-Paul in VA

FTL_Ian