• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Parking Tickets and the “Consent of the Governed”

Started by FTL_Ian, March 01, 2008, 02:55 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

srqrebel

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on March 05, 2008, 07:00 AM NHFT
Quote from: srqrebel on March 01, 2008, 05:33 PM NHFT
Just curious... if you did not consent to their terms, which I am sure you were fully aware of, then why did you park in one of their parking spaces?  There are other, non-metered options available in downtown Keene.

It isn't theirs, but, it isn't his either.  The problem here is that it doesn't belong to anyone.

I would have to agree with J'raxis:

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on March 01, 2008, 07:24 PM NHFT
Anyone who paid taxes or fees to had their money stolen by the city.

But I see your point, Lloyd.  It is quite impossible to determine actual ownership at this point, so for all intents and purposes it doesn't belong to anyone.

I had been parking regularly at the cheaper parking spaces off the main drag, and feeding the meter.  At one point I even paid a batch of unpaid parking tickets I had accumulated.  My reasoning was that the metered spaces were convenient, and if they were privately owned, I would have no issue with dropping some change for the service.  Since I know the policy when I park there, and choose to park there anyway, I am implicitly consenting to their policy -- so I considered it my duty to pay the penalty for not keeping my end of the agreement by keeping the meter fed.

I had never given much thought to the validity of the city's claim to ownership, before Ian's refusal to pay.  After giving thought to the issue of ownership, I am no longer comfortable parking in "their" parking spaces, much less paying them for the "service".

Russell Kanning

Quote from: srqrebel on March 05, 2008, 09:16 AM NHFTSince I know the policy when I park there, and choose to park there anyway, I am implicitly consenting to their policy -- so I considered it my duty to pay the penalty for not keeping my end of the agreement by keeping the meter fed.
are you mad man? ;)
if the king says that all of the roads are owned by him and you have to pay tolls .... do you not have the ability to walk anywhere?
if I say that all the ground surrounding your truck is mine when you wake up .... do you have to ask my permission or pay if I set up a meter if you want to move it a few feet?

do you only give in to the claims of those who use violence to enforce their "rights"?

David

Russell is right. 
The root of everything the gov't does is with force.  Even when the 'honestly' buy land instead of use eminent domain, it is with money taken after threat of fines, forfeiture of property, and threat of jail is made. 

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: David on March 05, 2008, 10:23 AM NHFT
Russell is right. 
The root of everything the gov't does is with force.

Yep, along with the presumption that the gang of thugs is legitimate, that presumption fostered by generations raised by the government.

TackleTheWorld

srqrebel

Russell and Lauren, did you even read my entire post?

They are not using my virtue against me anymore.

Russell Kanning

FTL_Ian

Quote from: srqrebel on March 05, 2008, 09:16 AM NHFT
I had never given much thought to the validity of the city's claim to ownership, before Ian's refusal to pay.  After giving thought to the issue of ownership, I am no longer comfortable parking in "their" parking spaces, much less paying them for the "service".

This is the confusing part.  Does that mean you will not park in any metered spaces anymore?

Russell Kanning

or more importantly ... why is it wrong for Ian to park there and not pay?
does he have any less claim to it than others?

srqrebel

Quote from: FTL_Ian on March 05, 2008, 11:25 AM NHFT
This is the confusing part.  Does that mean you will not park in any metered spaces anymore?

Not unless I have to... which is highly unlikely.

I'll walk a decent distance to avoid doing so.

I'd rather avoid the meters altogether if I can.  When you don't feed the meter, and you don't pay the ticket, they eventually tow your vehicle and keep it until you pay up.  I would rather just avoid the metered parking spaces altogether, than to later face the choice between paying their $25 late ticket or donating my truck to them.

srqrebel

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 05, 2008, 11:28 AM NHFT

Did someone claim it was wrong for Ian to park there and not pay?

I know I didn't, so I will let you answer your own question, Russell.

I fully support him in his decision, and hope he does not eventually face forfeiture of his vehicle or else have to back down.

(I bolded and underlined the "not" for the benefit of those who like to respond without paying close attention to what was said in the first place.)

Russell Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 05, 2008, 11:28 AM NHFT
I think he should go back, park there, squat and declare it Ianland

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 05, 2008, 10:13 AM NHFT
Quote from: srqrebel on March 05, 2008, 09:16 AM NHFTSince I know the policy when I park there, and choose to park there anyway, I am implicitly consenting to their policy -- so I considered it my duty to pay the penalty for not keeping my end of the agreement by keeping the meter fed.
are you mad man? ;)
if the king says that all of the roads are owned by him and you have to pay tolls .... do you not have the ability to walk anywhere?
if I say that all the ground surrounding your truck is mine when you wake up .... do you have to ask my permission or pay if I set up a meter if you want to move it a few feet?

do you only give in to the claims of those who use violence to enforce their "rights"?

Question: If I go park in your yard... how will you make me leave without force?
I realize I initiated the aggression by parking on land I did not have claim to... but it would still take force to repel the aggression.

KBCraig

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on March 06, 2008, 09:11 AM NHFT
Question: If I go park in your yard... how will you make me leave without force?
I realize I initiated the aggression by parking on land I did not have claim to... but it would still take force to repel the aggression.

I'm sure Russell could find a creative way to persuade you to move your car, without using any force against you in return.

He might park other vehicles around yours. He might dig a deep moat, or pile big rocks, around your car, making it impossible to move. He might give you a courtesy warning that he's going to be felling trees for the Hobbit Hole, and while he would never intentionally damage your car, he's not all that confident of his chainsaw skills...