• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Parking Tickets and the “Consent of the Governed”

Started by FTL_Ian, March 01, 2008, 02:55 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

SethCohn

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on March 08, 2008, 12:39 AM NHFT
Another thing I plan to try to avoid is the highway tolls. If you need to map a trip out, Google's avoid highways checkbox comes in handy: For example, here's how to go from Manchester to Concord and avoid the I-93 toll.

With a estimated time difference of 13 minutes (23 highway versus 36 minutes), and yet no real mileage difference: the nontoll roads are slower to drive on.  If you value your time as worth slightly less than $5 an hour, that's the breakeven point. If your time is worth more than $5 an hour, the toll at $1 is still worth paying. (We'll ignore the EZpass discount, since nobody should be using EZPass anyway, evil system that it is...)

Gas Mileage might be an issue as well, though I'm not sure in which direction (slower roads or faster roads, which uses more gas?)

I've done this route many times in the last few years, as well as taking Route 3 through Hooksett and Pembroke, when I feel like avoiding the toll, and driving more 'locally' but honestly, it probably cost me money in the long run.

J’raxis 270145

Russell Kanning

I don't mind using the toll road at all .... but back to Ian and his not paying parking tickets .... :)

SethCohn

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 09, 2008, 07:10 AM NHFT
I don't mind using the toll road at all .... but back to Ian and his not paying parking tickets .... :)

Actually, I think it relates quite well:

Nothing is FORCING you to park at a metered spot, aka a spot with a toll.  If you choose to do so, you are agreeing to the terms of service. Your options are to park in a 'free' spot elsewhere and walk closer, or park at a meter, and you pay for the time saving convenience.

Really, the big argument is "What gives local government the right to set up meters on public parking spots?"
I think Ian would agree a privately owned metered parking spot would be fine with him... it's the governmental control that he objects to...

Russell Kanning

absolutely ... it would make more sense if the companies on main street owned the spots ... they might not even charge ..... there is a reason why walmart is taking over the world

srqrebel

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 09, 2008, 10:24 AM NHFT
absolutely ... it would make more sense if the companies on main street owned the spots ... they might not even charge ..... there is a reason why walmart is taking over the world

Totally

FTL_Ian

I only agree to terms of service if they are from private people or businesses.  I don't agree to them when it's the gangsters.

srqrebel

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 09, 2008, 07:10 AM NHFT
I don't mind using the toll road at all ....

:o Did Russell just say he doesn't mind feeding the beast?

Such sacrilege!

:D

srqrebel

Quote from: FTL_Ian on March 09, 2008, 11:09 AM NHFT
I only agree to terms of service if they are from private people or businesses.  I don't agree to them when it's the gangsters.

That is the part that I failed to consider, until I saw you taking this stand against it :)

Russell Kanning

they make offers .... "you can't refuse" :(

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 09, 2008, 11:39 AM NHFT

Neither parking spaces nor tolls fall under that category.

Russell Kanning

sure they do ... they act like the own the entire town .... and will let you use it only if you do what they say .... under threat of punishment

Russell Kanning

Quote from: srqrebel on March 09, 2008, 11:50 AM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 09, 2008, 11:39 AM NHFT

Huh?
"The Godfather" reference
since they are gangsters ... they don't make normal agreements ... they use threats of violence

srqrebel

Ah, makes sense.

You gotta excuse this "entertainmentally challenged" ex-Amish dude ;D