• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

National Libertarian Women's Conference???

Started by jejstover, July 05, 2005, 09:36 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

jejstover

Here's a thought ... a National Libertarian Women's Conference. It would take a good deal of planning, but it might be a very productive way to bring Libertarian Ladies (both organizations and individuals) together with libertarian-leaning women and grow the Party membership AND the movement.

Sound do-able to anyone?

Jan

btw, I had originally mentioned this idea under "Mothers for Liberty" -? but I'm hoping the topic might spur enough conversation/posts to deserve its own thread. I've posted the idea on several other message boards/yahoo groups and am beginning to receive some positive feedback.

Dreepa

jejstover

Sounds like a plan...? :)

Actually the logistics of such an event would most likely determine the location.? But in theory at least, where better to have a National Libertarian Women's Conference than NH with its Free Staters, Homeschoolers and the perfect slogan "Liberty in Our Lifetime" ?

Jan

jejstover

Here's a couple of ideas that women have been sharing with me and I thought would be good to post:

Why not take it a step further and have a National Libertarian Women's Caucaus? That group can then have a Conference every year, starting in 2007 :) It would be more inclusive than a Mother's for Liberty group, since not all of us are mothers :) It could also be used to counter mainstream feminist dogma, which needs to be done sooner or later. Preferably sooner.
----------------------

I like the idea of a National Libertarian Women's Caucus, something that should certainly be discussed at the first National Libertarian Women's Conference. As with any caucus, the focus would be on such things as selection of candidates, legislative action, etc.... and I do think many women would be interested in this aspect of politics, don't you?! It's something that might naturally spring from the gathering of Libertarian women.

Like you suggest, the Conference would be * all inclusive*? offering a good opportunity for groups such as Mothers for Liberty, Mothers Against the Draft, the Association of Libertarian Feminists, Liberty Ladies and the Liberty Belles (among others) to meet for the first time, forging coalitions that would be very valuable. (and fun)

--------------------------

Regarding the planning of such a Conference, here's a suggestion from one of our Mothers for Liberty members:
... We should have some kind of a planning meeting at the national convention (Portland, June 2006), while a lot of us are in one place.? Of course work could begin before this via teleconference, email, etc ... but a face to face meeting would be ideal.

Sounds good to me. How 'bout anyone else??

Jan

ravelkinbow

How about having something at the next porcfest??  A small start to lead to something bigger.

jejstover

Hey Jenn,

Thanks for the suggestion.? Just wondering how many folks attended Porcfest this year, any idea?? And is the event growing in numbers annually?

Jan

Kat Kanning

350 according to the keeper of the lists.  It was much bigger than last year, so yes, it's growing.

jejstover

Hey Kat,

Thanks for the stats ... any idea what percentage of the attendees were women?

Jan

Pat K

Not enough for sure.

It might have something to do with the mens social skills, I know mine suck.

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: jejstover on August 05, 2005, 04:42 PM NHFT
Hey Kat,

Thanks for the stats ... any idea what percentage of the attendees were women?

Jan
10-20% I'd reckon.? PatK and the other males were very charming.? I didn't catch any picking their noses in public or muttering to themselves while assembling explosives.

Pat K

Margot Keyes

I think having something at the next Porc Fest is a great idea and we will be having a larger and more complete Liberty Ladies table  next year. Also, the Porc Fest Coordinator in 2006 will be a woman, Kate Rick, and many of us organizers are women. Though we are still a minority, we are making our presence known. Why not come to some of the LL meetings-get-togethers and discuss your ideas? Monthly on the 16th (so the days vary), next destination TBD.
Check out libertyladies.org.

Margot

jejstover

Quote from: Margot Keyes on August 21, 2005, 11:25 AM NHFT
Why not come to some of the LL meetings-get-togethers and discuss your ideas? Monthly on the 16th (so the days vary), next destination TBD.
Check out libertyladies.org

Margot,

Thanks for the invitation and sorry for my long over due response.  I currently live in Illinois, so while I can't join you for an actual meeting I'm grateful for the opportunity to discuss such ideas here with Liberty Ladies from NH and across the U.S.

While I still love the idea of a National Libertarian Women's Conference, I'm now leaning more towards a regional approach at first - with smaller conferences, building to a National. (This may be my exhaustion talking as I just survived chairing our LPI Convention  - or it may be that I'm a little wiser from the whole experience?!?)

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Jan

jejstover

Quote from: jejstover on July 05, 2005, 09:36 PM NHFT
Here's a thought ... a National Libertarian Women's Conference. It would take a good deal of planning, but it might be a very productive way to bring Libertarian Ladies (both organizations and individuals) together with libertarian-leaning women and grow the Party membership AND the movement.

National Libertarian Women's Conference Update:

Several of us have been talking about a more regional approach at first ... starting with smaller Libertarian Women's Conferences held throughout the country. Maybe tri-state conferences would be appropriate. For example, I currently live in Illinois and can imagine a successful conference which would include women from Illinois as well as our neighboring states of Missouri and Indiana. After such valuable networking/coalitions were formed, we could meld these tri-state conferences into the National Libertarian Women's Conference we would all love to see happen!

Any thoughts?

Jan