• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Keene Freedom Fest: Spring 2008 - 4/19, Noon-3p, Railroad Sq.

Started by FTL_Ian, March 03, 2008, 03:51 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Puke

Quote from: Kat Kanning on March 25, 2008, 07:31 AM NHFT
I think we should build a libertarian colony on the moon and live there in peace and bliss.

That will require on hell of a flyer!

Coconut

Personally I would rather it say "games" than "gambling." Maybe it's me, but I'm trying to act like what we're doing should be completely, unquestionably free from regulation, and the word "gambling" has a bit of negative ring to it in society. It isn't a big deal though. Thoughts?

I don't know what's more likely to attract people. When people see "gambling", I think they will show up expecting to be betting lots of money on wheel spins or something. "Games" means that there will be games to play, and if a penny changes hands, it's part of the game.

Kat Kanning

Pat K

Quote from: Kat Kanning on March 25, 2008, 06:21 PM NHFT
Free State Project Colonizes Moon

Issues moonular mission statement.

Decries tactics of dark side of the moon activists.

J’raxis 270145

"Gaming" — halfway between games and gambling, is technically correct, but obscure enough that people might not immediately think it means gambling.

srqrebel

Quote from: Pat K on March 25, 2008, 06:27 PM NHFT
Quote from: Kat Kanning on March 25, 2008, 06:21 PM NHFT
Free State Project Colonizes Moon

Issues moonular mission statement.

Decries tactics of dark side of the moon activists.

The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress... ? :D

Coconut

Someone asked on FTL if we could live broadcast this event. It's not impossible. Downtown Keene is supplied with wireless internet. It might be able to reach to railroad square. If that's the case, all you need is a portable computer and a camera, and maybe power to keep it running past battery life. Should I look into this? I don't mind using my equipment, which could probably broadcast for about 90 minutes if the connection was strong enough before batteries ran out. As long as someone was there to pick it up for me if I was for some reason unable to return home.

FTL_Ian

If you want to do so, I doubt there will be enough viewers to justify it.  There also won't be much of interest to broadcast.  Makes more sense to tape some footage and edit a package for FMTV / Youtube.

srqrebel

Quote from: Coconut on March 31, 2008, 05:03 PM NHFT
Someone asked on FTL if we could live broadcast this event. It's not impossible. Downtown Keene is supplied with wireless internet. It might be able to reach to railroad square. If that's the case, all you need is a portable computer and a camera, and maybe power to keep it running past battery life. Should I look into this? I don't mind using my equipment, which could probably broadcast for about 90 minutes if the connection was strong enough before batteries ran out. As long as someone was there to pick it up for me if I was for some reason unable to return home.

Railroad Square in Keene has both wireless access, and electrical outlets -- so you wouldn't need to rely on a battery.

I like the idea of a live broadcast, especially with the potential for a civdis arrest(s) happening... if we plan to live broadcast the event, and spread the word in advance, we could greatly increase our audience.

jaqeboy

Ought to get Ridley Report to announce it in advance and report on it on the day, too. Maybe pay for an ad on his reports?

Coconut

Quote from: srqrebel on April 01, 2008, 10:14 AM NHFT
Quote from: Coconut on March 31, 2008, 05:03 PM NHFT

Railroad Square in Keene has both wireless access, and electrical outlets -- so you wouldn't need to rely on a battery.

I once heard that while there's outlets, the power isn't turned on unless someone has signed up for an event in the area, which we haven't. I will try to test my setup this weekend, and will post a link in this thread if I feel like a live feed is viable. Maybe we could even have 2 cams, but that's getting a bit overboard. One step at a time coco.

srqrebel

Quote from: Coconut on April 01, 2008, 06:53 PM NHFT
I once heard that while there's outlets, the power isn't turned on unless someone has signed up for an event in the area, which we haven't...

Hmm... I used the outlets a number of times last summer and fall, before the weather turned cold. My laptop battery is so far gone that it only lasts for a minute or so without auxiliary power, and I never had a problem accessing the electricity at Railroad Square.

Tell you what... you plan the live broadcast, and I will bring an alternative power source just to be sure :icon_pirat: 8)

d_goddard

Ian, you understand and appreciate the difference between "argumentation" and "discussion" -- and the importance of avoiding the former if the intent is to win hearts and minds.

I am therefore glad that the gaming will not be intentionally an act of Civ Dis. For the vast majority of the general population -- even those who score in the top quadrant of the Nolan Chart -- if they see the police arresting someone, their first impression is that the person must be doing something "bad"

Civ Dis has its place.
That place is not at a festival intended to introduce people to the freedom-loving community.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: srqrebel on April 02, 2008, 10:32 AM NHFT
Tell you what... you plan the live broadcast, and I will bring an alternative power source just to be sure :icon_pirat: 8)

While I certainly wouldn't prevent anyone from broadcasting live, I will once again reiterate that I believe that an event where people will primarily be standing around talking with one another will not make for very interesting live broadcast content.