• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Learn in Freedom

Started by AlanM, July 06, 2005, 09:18 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanM

Mike and I are going to start a new Project. One which we call "Learn in Freedom". Starting next week, one of us, or both of us will spend a few hours per week, standing in a public place, such as a downtown area, or in front of a school, with a sign that says, "Learn in Freedom". The purpose of this, is to promote alternative education, as well as an end to compulsory schooling, and the Separation of School and State.
We will have information to hand out, directing people to information sources, both for alternatives to public schooling, and why the public schools are bad. It would be great if others took up the banner, so to speak, in other towns and cities, but regardless, I will be doing this, weekly, for the forseeable future.
I'll let Mike describe other steps we are planning.

To me, education is the key to our success. Not just young folk, but educating parents and the general population about the lack of interest in EDUCATION. Vast sums are spent each year on schooling, but almost zero of that money goes towards education.

Michael Fisher

This is going to be great!  :)

If we really want some momentum with the separation of education and state, then annual or semi-annual activism is not enough.  Monthly activism isn't enough.  We need weekly or even daily activism if possible, consistently.  The "Learn in Freedom" demonstrations are one of the ideas we've come up with that should do something.  If you see someone in front of a public school holding a sign on a regular basis, you'll naturally ask yourself "why is he doing that?"  That's what we're looking for.

Our success in these protests will depend on how we approach the topic and what is on our signs and flyers.  We should usually do this in front of a public school, but school's out, so a very public area will have to do.  Town hall and main streets are the initial target areas.  :)

Here's a question for the forum:  What do you think the signs should say?

AlanM

I've been trying to think of something that expresses the idea that the Founding Fathers had little or no SCHOOLING, yet were highly educated. Need something shorter for a sign, though.

Michael Fisher

Sign ideas:

Learn in
Freedom

Try Private School
With Your Children

Try
Homeschooling
With Your Children

Try
Unschooling
With Your Children

AlanM

Education, NOT public schooling
NHFree.com

AlanM

Encourage Self-Learning

Education, NOT indoctrination

Public Schools smother the desire to Learn

End Compulsory Schooling! Promote Education.

Russell Kanning

Less Schooling
More Learning

Michael Fisher

Quote from: AlanM on July 06, 2005, 09:33 AM NHFT
I've been trying to think of something that expresses the idea that the Founding Fathers had little or no SCHOOLING, yet were highly educated. Need something shorter for a sign, though.

Benjamin Franklin:
Only two years
of school.

Education:
One size does
not fit all.

Self-
Directed
Learning

Power
to the
Parents

Forced
Learning
Fails

Free
Your
Children

Michael Fisher

You have the
right to educate
your children.

Why trust the
government
with your children?

Do not trust
the government
with your children!

Learn in
Freedom,
or not at all.

Government Schools:
A 12-year sentence.

Take
Parental
Responsibility

Russell Kanning

AlanM

Love your Children?
Educate them yourself.

Learn in Freedom
Not Confinement

Michael Fisher

That's the title of a book. ?;)

This is going to be GREAT!!! ?We can hand out LSF literature as well.

Alan and I had a brainstorming session and came up with these ideas:

-"Education Fair" instead of an "Educational Alternatives Fair". ?You allow any education-related organization to attend. ?Sell Gatto's Underground History of American Education book. ?Sell Teenage Liberation Handbook. ?Tell people the statistics of the X million homeschoolers in the US, and the growth of this movement.

-"Independent Learning" fairs (quarterly?) in different towns.

-Daily (weekly?) protests in front of schools, town halls, etc.

-A retail office for the LSF. ?Visible and permanent.
-Any organization can buy sign space in the windows.
-Possibly rent a mixed-use LSF and CTS retail office for my computer business and the charity. ?This could work!
-Local non-gov schools can buy signage and flyer space.
-Have unschool, homeschool, and liberty magazines, NH liberty newspapers and magazines, JP's magazine, etc.
-Flyer space for local businesses?
-Have Shorty Dawkins stuff available!
-Create CDs to hand out for free with alternative education info, links, recordings, shorty dawkins info, etc.

-Get libertarian types to volunteer at non-government education organizations, like private schools.

AlanM

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on July 06, 2005, 10:21 AM NHFT
That's the title of a book. ?;)

This is going to be GREAT!!! ?We can hand out LSF literature as well.

Alan and I had a brainstorming session and came up with these ideas:

-"Education Fair" instead of an "Educational Alternatives Fair". ?You allow any education-related organization to attend. ?Sell Gatto's Underground History of American Education book. ?Sell Teenage Liberation Handbook. ?Tell people the statistics of the X million homeschoolers in the US, and the growth of this movement.

-"Independent Learning" fairs (quarterly?) in different towns.

-Daily (weekly?) protests in front of schools, town halls, etc.

-A retail office for the LSF. ?Visible and permanent.
-Any organization can buy sign space in the windows.
-Possibly rent a mixed-use LSF and CTS retail office for my computer business and the charity. ?This could work!
-Local non-gov schools can buy signage and flyer space.
-Have unschool, homeschool, and liberty magazines, NH liberty newspapers and magazines, JP's magazine, etc.
-Flyer space for local businesses?
-Have Shorty Dawkins stuff available!
-Create CDs to hand out for free with alternative education info, links, recordings, shorty dawkins info, etc.

-Get libertarian types to volunteer at non-government education organizations, like private schools.

Combining business use with LSF and Education use will work, IMO.
I will be ready to buy signage space for Shorty Dawkins when it is available.

Ron Helwig

Famous dropouts:
Ben Franklin
Thomas Edison
Bill Gates

etc.  :)