• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Learn in Freedom

Started by AlanM, July 06, 2005, 09:18 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanM

Something like this might be a means of getting the Keene Learning Center up a running. ?;)

BlueLu

Quote from: rhelwig on July 06, 2005, 10:30 AM NHFT
Famous dropouts:
Ben Franklin
Thomas Edison
Bill Gates

etc.? :)

Albert Einstein

http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?topic=364.msg4159#msg4159

I don't think Gates should count, because he made it to college, he just did not finish -- same for Michael Dell.

BlueLu

Quote from: AlanM on July 06, 2005, 10:32 AM NHFT
Something like this might be a means of getting the Keene Learning Center up a running. ?;)

Yes, what about preparing an actual lesson that you would deliver during the protest.? You could offer superior education right on the educrats' doorstep.?

And keep a database of transcripts so that this can be replicated elsewhere.

I will try to generate a sample guerrilla lesson outlines for this very sort of thing.

Han Solo

Try
Unschooling
With Your Children

Famous dropouts:
Ben Franklin
Thomas Edison
Bill Gates

First of all, I am a big "L" liberarian, but even I don't think it is wise to promote the fact that some children will not be getting ANY education. I don't feel it is going to bring the citizens on board by promoting the fact totally uneducated children will be running around not even being able to read. ?For every famous drop out there are probably 20,000 drop outs working at McDonalds and muching off the welfare state. ?Don't get me wrong, I think parents should be able to teach their kids anyway they want, and wish to see the government out of the schooling/indoctrinating business. However, I think that promoting the benefits of homeschooling and the price drops of private schooling, once there is more competition, is the way to go. ?Also, the variety of lesson plans and different teaching styles would be a good issue to hit.?

The citizens will probably just think that YOU don't want your children to be educated because your some wacko. ?I know this is not the case, but I think this arguement will give opposition a foothold from which to destroy this very critical issue. ?It is like trying to convert someone to Libertarianism and starting off with the issue of road privitization, and saying something to the effect of "I don't know how it will work, but the free market will take care of that". ;)

That point aside, I think this is a great idea.

My 2 cents,
Han Solo

Kat Kanning

::)
Apparently Albert Einstein, Ben Franklin, etc. were uneducated because they dropped out.

Russell Kanning

Highly Educated:

George Bush
Bill Clinton >:D

ManchVegas

Highly Educated:

Jason P. Sorens? ?:o

thewaka

Then how about a sign:

School != Education

Explain they aren't mutually exclusive, but they aren't necessarily linked, either.

Diana

davemincin

Parents First!
Bureaucrats Last!

tracysaboe

I don't think Thomas Jefferson set foot inside a classroom all his life. (even though he wanted federally funded government schooling. :( )

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on July 06, 2005, 09:59 AM NHFT
Quote from: AlanM on July 06, 2005, 09:33 AM NHFT
I've been trying to think of something that expresses the idea that the Founding Fathers had little or no SCHOOLING, yet were highly educated. Need something shorter for a sign, though.

Benjamin Franklin:
Only two years
of school.

Education:
One size does
not fit all.

Self-
Directed
Learning

Power
to the
Parents

Forced
Learning
Fails

Free
Your
Children

tracysaboe

Quote from: BlueLu on July 06, 2005, 11:50 AM NHFT
Something like this might be a means of getting the Keene Learning Center up a running.  ;)

Yes, what about preparing an actual lesson that you would deliver during the protest.  You could offer superior education right on the educrats' doorstep. 

I will try to generate a sample guerrilla lesson outlines for this very sort of thing.

A Good book about Gorilla Education is Gatto's  A Different Kind of Teacher: Solving the Crisis of American Schooling

He talks about the techniques he usesd in his classroom so that students could actually learn but so that he wouldn't get in trouble.

How much do you think this sort of thing will cost you, on a weekly basis?

Tracy

tracysaboe

Quote from: Han Solo on July 06, 2005, 12:04 PM NHFT

First of all, I am a big "L" liberarian, but even I don't think it is wise to promote the fact that some children will not be getting ANY education. I don't feel it is going to bring the citizens on board by promoting the fact totally uneducated children will be running around not even being able to read.  For every famous drop out there are probably 20,000 drop outs working at McDonalds and muching off the welfare state.  Don't get me wrong, I think parents should be able to teach their kids anyway they want, and wish to see the government out of the schooling/indoctrinating business. However, I think that promoting the benefits of homeschooling and the price drops of private schooling, once there is more competition, is the way to go.  Also, the variety of lesson plans and different teaching styles would be a good issue to hit. 

The citizens will probably just think that YOU don't want your children to be educated because your some wacko.  I know this is not the case, but I think this arguement will give opposition a foothold from which to destroy this very critical issue.  It is like trying to convert someone to Libertarianism and starting off with the issue of road privitization, and saying something to the effect of "I don't know how it will work, but the free market will take care of that". ;)

That point aside, I think this is a great idea.

My 2 cents,
Han Solo

Nonsence. Prior to government schooling over 98% of people could read and write. (Except for slaves who's masters didn't allow them too.)

Tracy

PattyE

Patrick Henry.......American Revolutionary War era politician; Virginia's first governor; famous quote: "Give me liberty, or give me death!" (little formal education; home schooling/life experience; later studied on his own and earned a law degree)

AlanM

"How much do you think this sort of thing will cost you, on a weekly basis?"

Tracy

The only expense will be the cost of whatever flyers or pamphlets we give to folks. Perhaps we could recoup that by selling copies of John Gatto's books.  ;)

Alan

AlanM

Quote from: BlueLu on July 06, 2005, 11:50 AM NHFT

Yes, what about preparing an actual lesson that you would deliver during the protest.? You could offer superior education right on the educrats' doorstep.?

I could offer to teach anyone who was interested about Rhetorical versus Grammatical Punctuation, as used in Elizabethan times.  ;D