• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Learn in Freedom

Started by AlanM, July 06, 2005, 09:18 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on August 07, 2005, 03:16 PM NHFT
The greatest mistake anyone can make in homeschooling is to disregard what the child wants to learn and focus on forcing on him what he ought to learn.

Speaking from your infinite experience in homeschooling children, I guess.

Russell Kanning

I guess I get fed up with spoon feeding people forever.

Public Schools suck
Property Taxes suck even more

This isn't rocket science

Michael Fisher

Quote from: katdillon on August 07, 2005, 03:29 PM NHFT
The greatest mistake anyone can make in homeschooling is to disregard what the child wants to learn and focus on forcing on him what he ought to learn.

:(

Pat McCotter

Quote from: russellkanning on August 07, 2005, 03:27 PM NHFT
Quote from: LeRuineur6 on August 07, 2005, 03:18 PM NHFTPersuasion is our only option.? ?:-\

I think that is why you are frustrated this week.
We can lead and others can follow....I am not going to wait for everyone to agree with me. :D

<Clich?>We didn't get where we are overnight. We're not going to fix it overnight</Clich?>

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: russellkanning on August 07, 2005, 03:33 PM NHFT
I guess I get fed up with spoon feeding people forever.

Public Schools suck
Property Taxes suck even more

This isn't rocket science

This is true, but, like it or not, you are dealing with a populace who don't know the first statement and who may agree with the second, don't know what to do about it.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on August 07, 2005, 03:51 PM NHFT
Quote from: katdillon on August 07, 2005, 03:29 PM NHFT

:(

Well, it's a little irritating to be told I've been teaching Kira wrong for 8 years, since she'd never until now told me anything that she wanted to learn :(

AlanM

Kat,
Students don't always say specifically what they want to learn, but I bet you had a good idea of what she would be willing to learn.

Michael Fisher

Well I've never had a child, and never will.? ?:-\

But I was a child, and that's how I felt.? Let me rephrase the earlier statement:

"Anyone can teach.? Anyone can learn.? I learn best by following my own path to knowledge."

"The greatest mistake that could have been made by homeschooling me is to disregard what I want to learn and focus on constantly forcing me to memorize what I 'ought' to learn, even if it is against my will."

"Bring me out into the real world.? To me, experience is the greatest teacher and the best source of a love of learning."

AlanM

Another thing I would suggest is to get rid of the TV. I have a TV only to connect to my DVD player for an ocassional movie. TV is a vast wasteland, as Marshall McCluhan said. It's purpose is to soothe the masses. In other words, tp keep you pre-occupied so you won't notice when your freedoms are taken away.

GT

QuoteTV is a vast wasteland, as Marshall McCluhan said. It's purpose is to soothe the masses. In other words, tp keep you pre-occupied so you won't notice when your freedoms are taken away.

In other words, tp keep you pre-occupied so you won't notice THAT your freedoms HAVE BEEN taken away.

GT

Don't mind me I'm just having a bad weekend.

Kat Kanning

Sorry I was being a grump, Mike.

Alan, I went through a kick reading Marshall Mcluhan and related books.  One really facinating book I read along that line was The Alphabet vs. The Goddess where the author theorizes that literacy changed the way people's mind's worked and switched them from an egalitarian type society / goddess oriented to a male dominated hierarchical society.  Not sure if I believe it, but it was presented well and was real interesting to think about.  He also claimed that the new media, radio and TV being image/sound based rather than requiring reading would tend to switch us back to the goddess type society.

Kat Kanning

Maybe GT and I can form a grump-club  :)

AlanM

Quote from: GT on August 07, 2005, 07:25 PM NHFT
QuoteTV is a vast wasteland, as Marshall McCluhan said. It's purpose is to soothe the masses. In other words, tp keep you pre-occupied so you won't notice when your freedoms are taken away.

In other words, tp keep you pre-occupied so you won't notice THAT your freedoms HAVE BEEN taken away.

Sorry, got my tenses wrong again.  ;) Sometimes I don't know which tense I'm in.  ??? By the way, do we have any freedoms left? Or are they past tense?

AlanM

Quote from: katdillon on August 07, 2005, 07:34 PM NHFT
Maybe GT and I can form a grump-club? :)

Don't forget Lloyd.  ;D Or should he start his own curmudgeon's club?  ::)