• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Learn in Freedom

Started by AlanM, July 06, 2005, 09:18 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Curmudgeon, that's got to be my favorite word.  Maybe that's why I like Lloyd  :D

Maybe you're just too tense to get your tenses right.

AlanM

Quote from: katdillon on August 07, 2005, 07:34 PM NHFT
Sorry I was being a grump, Mike.

Alan, I went through a kick reading Marshall Mcluhan and related books.? One really facinating book I read along that line was The Alphabet vs. The Goddess where the author theorizes that literacy changed the way people's mind's worked and switched them from an egalitarian type society / goddess oriented to a male dominated hierarchical society.? Not sure if I believe it, but it was presented well and was real interesting to think about.? He also claimed that the new media, radio and TV being image/sound based rather than requiring reading would tend to switch us back to the goddess type society.

Language has a lot to do with society. Using words carelessly, or using the wrong word, a word that doesn't suit your meaning can cause lots of harm. Repeat a falsity over and over, and it is perceived to be true.

AlanM

Quote from: katdillon on August 07, 2005, 07:42 PM NHFT
Curmudgeon, that's got to be my favorite word.? Maybe that's why I like Lloyd? :D

Maybe you're just too tense to get your tenses right.

I'm a big fan of persnickety.

I'm so tense, I don't know which tents I should enter.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: AlanM on August 07, 2005, 07:45 PM NHFT

Yes, persnickety is quite a word!

On the question of tents, I suppose it just depends on which tenets you hold most dear.

AlanM

Quote from: katdillon on August 07, 2005, 07:49 PM NHFT
Quote from: AlanM on August 07, 2005, 07:45 PM NHFT

Yes, persnickety is quite a word!

On the question of tents, I suppose it just depends on which tenets you hold most dear.

My Tenants were all very dear to be, when I had them, but since I seem to have lost my Tenants, I become more tense, so I hold dearly to my tenets.

AlanM

Is Lloyd a tense persnickety curmudgeon?

AlanM

Quote from: AlanM on August 07, 2005, 07:55 PM NHFT
Is Lloyd a tense persnickety curmudgeon?

In the past (tense), I was a persnickety fellow. Now, in the present (tense), I am just an old fart.  ;D

Kat Kanning

Oops, Lloyd can't be a curmudgeon, because someone once caught him smiling:

AlanM

Quote from: katdillon on August 07, 2005, 08:06 PM NHFT

I wouldn't call that a smile, really. He just looks lost and confused.
Is that SteveA on the right of the picture?

Kat Kanning

If you say "curmudgeon" tens and tens of times over, will it make you less tense?

If that's SteveA, don't tell his wife, cause I've been sleeping with that guy!

AlanM

Quote from: katdillon on August 07, 2005, 08:12 PM NHFT
If you say "curmudgeon" tens and tens of times over, will it make you less tense?

It makes me tense just thinking about it.

QuoteIf that's SteveA, don't tell his wife, cause I've been sleeping with that guy!

HeHeHe!!!

KBCraig

It's worth noting that for Lloyd, "smiling" means a horizontal, not-downturned mouth.  ;)

AlanM

Quote from: KBCraig on August 07, 2005, 09:10 PM NHFT

It's worth noting that for Lloyd, "smiling" means a horizontal, not-downturned mouth.? ;)

How do we know you're really Kevin Craig? Maybe your really that guy in the picture.  ::)

Lloyd Danforth

I'm not smiling, just surprised the damn tent didn't fall down!

AlanM

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on August 07, 2005, 09:38 PM NHFT
I'm not smiling, just surprised the damn tent didn't fall down!

I thought there would be a rational explanation.  8) So, did you have a few tense moments with the tents? Of course I realize it is all in the past (tense), the tents I mean, but then again, the moments concerning the tents were tense, but they're in the past (tense).

Who's on first?