• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Learn in Freedom

Started by AlanM, July 06, 2005, 09:18 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanM

"First of all, I am a big "L" liberarian, but even I don't think it is wise to promote the fact that some children will not be getting ANY education. I don't feel it is going to bring the citizens on board by promoting the fact totally uneducated children will be running around not even being able to read."

Hans,
What we are protesting against is the lack of education received in public schools. Before compulsory public shools existed, even the poorest families received at least a rudimentary education. They could read and write and do basic mathematics. Many children, before public schools, were doing college level studies at twelve or thirteen, including studies of rhetoric.
  Without compulsory government schools, education will flourish as it once did. Schooling does not imply education. Ask Thomas Jefferson, who never went to school.

AlanM

One thing they can't do is whine about "newcomers" proposing these ideas. I was born in NH, and have lived here for 54 years. My mother was a teacher, and I have a sister who is a teacher. Both have always complained about administrations getting out of the way and letting them teach. They set high standards. They never dumbed down their course.
I myself, attended college, but didn't stay long. It wasn't for me. I was a national merit scholarship semi-finalist, and got VERY high scores on my SATs.
I plan to offer courses on Shakespeare and Elizabethan Drama, with an emphasis on the need to ACT the roles using techniques drawn from the period.

AlanM

I'm curious. How many have read any of John Taylor Gatto's books?
Another question. How many have read Atlas Shrugged?
Anyone notice any interesting parallels? Or with THE FOUNTAINHEAD?

Pat McCotter

Every time I start to read "Underground History..." I get pissed off and have to go back to living my life >:(.

I've read all of Ayn Rand as well as Leonard Peikoff's "Ominous Parallels." Too many parallels if you ask me :'(.

Not so cheerful,
Pat

tracysaboe

Quote from: AlanM on July 06, 2005, 09:56 PM NHFT
"How much do you think this sort of thing will cost you, on a weekly basis?"

Tracy

The only expense will be the cost of whatever flyers or pamphlets we give to folks. Perhaps we could recoup that by selling copies of John Gatto's books.  ;)

Alan

That would be wonderfull if you could turn it into something of a business. Be a liberty Book Peddler. (Of course, isn't peddeling illegal w/o a license?)

I wondered if you thought you might need some or any sort of compensation for your time or anything.

Do you need any upfront capital to help you purchase books?

Etc.

Tracy

tracysaboe

Quote from: AlanM on July 07, 2005, 11:01 AM NHFT
I'm curious. How many have read any of John Taylor Gatto's books?
Another question. How many have read Atlas Shrugged?
Anyone notice any interesting parallels? Or with THE FOUNTAINHEAD?

I read
Quotedumbing us down
. Haven't read underground yet. And I read
QuoteThe Exhausted School: Bending the Bars of Traditional Education
which is actually a collaction of essays (read: Speaches) that were done at CArnegie hall, at a conference Gatto helped orchestrate.

Tracy

Russell Kanning

AlanM

Quote from: tracysaboe on July 07, 2005, 06:11 PM NHFT
Quote from: AlanM on July 06, 2005, 09:56 PM NHFT
"How much do you think this sort of thing will cost you, on a weekly basis?"

Tracy

The only expense will be the cost of whatever flyers or pamphlets we give to folks. Perhaps we could recoup that by selling copies of John Gatto's books.? ;)

Alan

That would be wonderfull if you could turn it into something of a business. Be a liberty Book Peddler. (Of course, isn't peddeling illegal w/o a license?)

I wondered if you thought you might need some or any sort of compensation for your time or anything.

Do you need any upfront capital to help you purchase books?

Etc.

Tracy

Tracy,
Thanks for the offer, but for now at least I won't need monetary help. Perhaps if this blossoms, we may need help at some future point.
Alan

tracysaboe

Make sure you keep us updated.

Maybe even set up your own blog about your adventures in this new project.

Tracy

Michael Fisher

This should do well, especially if we're consistent.? I hope it does.? We'll get people talking about learning in freedom, and we'll promote resources for them to research.

If this works... it will be a strike at the root of the system, and a big win for liberty.? :)

We want to be there on the sidewalk as children are walking by and as parents are dropping their children off at school.? What are they going to do?? Throw us in jail?? ;)

AlanM

I suspect we will take a lot of abuse from adminitrators and teachers, as well as those in positions of higher power, but that's good, it will just point out their lack of concern for families and REAL education.

Kat Kanning

We're going to try and join you, in Keene.  Russell wants to set up a weekly table at Walmart to hand out sepschool and other material and talk to people about school freedom.

AlanM

Quote from: katdillon on July 08, 2005, 09:08 AM NHFT
We're going to try and join you, in Keene.? Russell wants to set up a weekly table at Walmart to hand out sepschool and other material and talk to people about school freedom.

All right!!!!
The more information that we can get out the better.  8)

AlanM

Russell Kanning

I will hand out whatever literature people supply me with. I will have a little table and a couple of signs. 8)