• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Learn in Freedom

Started by AlanM, July 06, 2005, 09:18 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

We get foot traffic by Walmart....people read the signs 8)

AlanM

Quote from: russellkanning on July 31, 2005, 03:52 PM NHFT
We get foot traffic by Walmart....people read the signs 8)

You have feet driving cars in Keene?  ::)

tracysaboe

That's right. They didn't go out with the FlintStones.  ;D

Tracy

AlanM

Ya-ba-da-ba-do. Barney to the rescue.

Michael Fisher

Alan, when's our next protest?  Have you been reading through my ideas on this thread from the past few days?

Sorry I posted so much...   ;D

Eagle

"How is it that little children are so intelligent and men so stupid? It must be education that does it."
-Alexandre Dumas

When my daughter and granddaughter lived with me a few years back for a couple years I was
actually enchanted and re-energized by the wonderful natural curiosity and absorbability and
adaptability of my granddaughter at the age of 2 to 4. I was spending more time at my home office
learning my way around computers and the internet and had much more opportunity to 'be there'
than I actually did when my children were that age. I lived on a pond in CT at the time so the outdoors
was a whole wonderful world of discovery for her. She had new little stories of enlightenment for me
about everyday...birds, fish, frogs, flowers, water plants...an endless stream of newness. Elizabeth
would share these discoveries with me as though they were new for me too...and they were : )

We have soooooooooo much to give naturally when we are at that age. No one and no thing
around us has any right to quell that...I tried to plant the idea with her that what she was doing was
something so special to have with her all of her life. Each of us need to have this with us all of
our lives. Society/education, as we know it, does a 'take away', one little chunk at a time, of this
wonderful, natural phenomenon. We lose our absorbability, it is that simple, in my opinion. There are
very few to no natural 'life' experiences associated with the education system. The 'giving' of our
younger natures is transformed to 'taking'.

Keep Giving! 

The Very Young Have It Right!

Kat Kanning

Michael Fisher

Quote from: AlanM on July 28, 2005, 09:51 PM NHFT
I think Mike is on to something. Public schools are designed to break the students spirits and subjugate them. Subjugation is slavery. Education, on the other hand is freedom. So:

Education is Freedom!
Public Schooling is Slavery!

Does this place the focus where it needs to be? vis a vis: Public schools do Not educate, but rather they subjugate. True education is freeing.

Public
Schools
Educate
Subjugate!

Michael Fisher

Michael Fisher

Argh, I feel so helpless sometimes.   :-\
But hopeful at the same time!  :)

There must be something we can do to get people to take their children out of public schools.  Even many who agree with us will not take responsibility for their children.  We have failed miserably to create a convincing case for it.

We need to compile all the research, statistics, arguments, everything we can.  We need to completely refute the idea that this is impossible or undesirable.

Learning in freedom is obviously possible, simple, and desirable - to us.  How do we convince others to do the same?

The answer to this question will set everyone free, especially the children.  There is nothing we could possibly do in our lives that could create a stronger and more permanent legacy of freedom than to stop forced learning.

Must... find... the answer...

Michael Fisher

I'm sure this happens to everyone here quite regularly, but here's my story.

On the subject of the value of a love of learning, when I spent the other day researching quotes for this thread, I starting by reading about Einstein on Wikipedia and ended up doing research on magnetism.? I found info about the Halbach Array, which may soon be used for new maglev trains with permanent magnets rather than powered eletromagnets (saves energy).  The result was my new adaptation of the linear Halbach Array idea into a full 2-dimensional grid for more efficient levitation over diamagnetic surfaces.  I knew almost nothing about magnetism before this.

It was easier to do in html than with paint shop pro, so here it goes.  Try not to laugh.  ;)

Fisher-Halbach Grid

AlanM

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on August 05, 2005, 01:33 AM NHFT
Alan, when's our next protest?? Have you been reading through my ideas on this thread from the past few days?

Sorry I posted so much...? ?;D

Sorry, Mike. I've been busy. Planning for the Arts Festival with pcwallis. Things are beginning to gel.
Why don't we plan for Weds. the 10th at 10 AM, unless it's raining, in which case we could make it Thurs. 11th

Lloyd Danforth

I looked at the grid and could not help but chuckle. Sorry Mike.:)

Michael Fisher

Quote from: AlanM on August 05, 2005, 09:51 PM NHFT
Sorry, Mike. I've been busy. Planning for the Arts Festival with pcwallis. Things are beginning to gel.
Why don't we plan for Weds. the 10th at 10 AM, unless it's raining, in which case we could make it Thurs. 11th

Sounds good to me.

I'll keep working on the ideas.  Hmmmm.... need more ideas...  need better ideas...

Eagle

Just a rambling thought/idea before I sign off, Mike!

What if...

A handful of homeschoolers from this group got together with a private pre-school
day care that is popular and respected in their community and set up the option for those parents to make a choice to have them privately schooled through that day care and the homeschoolers. If a
handful of parents were to give it a try instead of sending the Kids onto public school it may make the news and get noticed. Public/private cost comparisons could be made, environment comparisons...etc.

Just throwin' thoughts around.