• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Protest near Souter's Weare home, July 17th

Started by Dave Ridley, July 06, 2005, 09:41 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

CNHT

Quote from: katdillon on July 10, 2005, 01:16 AM NHFT
Dave, you know he's on a dead end street that no one drives down?

You could station yourselves at the beginning of the street...? That way people on the main drag would see you...

How about signs (and people singing) that say "This land is YOUR land, this land is MY land!" ?

>:D

president

Quote from: CNHT on July 14, 2005, 08:37 AM NHFT
And although I am absolutely opposed to taking of private property for any reason, I think we need to make an example of Mr. Souter...sorry Mikey.
It sounds like you are contradicting yourself. If you endorse taking Mr. Souters land, you are not opposed to taking private property for any reason.

CNHT

Quote from: president on July 14, 2005, 09:01 AM NHFT
Quote from: CNHT on July 14, 2005, 08:37 AM NHFT
And although I am absolutely opposed to taking of private property for any reason, I think we need to make an example of Mr. Souter...sorry Mikey.
It sounds like you are contradicting yourself. If you endorse taking Mr. Souters land, you are not opposed to taking private property for any reason.

...or we could also sing "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot, ooh la la la!"

CNHT

Quote from: freedominnh on July 14, 2005, 09:25 AM NHFT
Using citizen petition warrant for such a purpose would be a horrible abuse.? Person might as well form a community redevelopment corporation if you want to become just like the eminent domain bad guys.

It's not an abuse -- it's allowed under the provision of 'public good'. And big cities do have community redevelopment plans which include commercial ventures for which they take land. (Not saying that's right) Once we stop them from taking land for private gain, we can then work on this aspect. I recently worked against water districts taking private wells for 'public good'. So I am not contradicting myself, but if Souter needs to be made an example of to get what we want, so be it.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: CNHT on July 14, 2005, 09:40 AM NHFT
It's not an abuse -- it's allowed under the provision of 'public good'. And big cities do have community redevelopment plans which include commercial ventures for which they take land. (Not saying that's right) Once we stop them from taking land for private gain, we can then work on this aspect. I recently worked against water districts taking private wells for 'public good'. So I am not contradicting myself, but if Souter needs to be made an example of to get what we want, so be it.

Or we could just try to get what we want and try to get eminent domain banned in Weare instead.

This is not a joke, it is serious.  We will be responsible for taking away somebody's home.  This is a very bad precedent for our movement, the Underground, CNHT, and the Free State Project.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine

This will set a precedent, and we will all be vulnerable to it.  It is very important for us to reconsider our position.

cathleeninnh

If we recruit too well for a counter protest there will be no protest. No protest, nothing to counter. No media. No good.

Cathleen

Lloyd Danforth

Mike, Souter has stated that taking a home away from an individual for this purpose is O.K.
I think we can, as individuals back either side of this and milk the media attention and if we have to, and I'm not busy in New London, stand in front of the bulldozers in Weare.

Kat Kanning

Oh we could always draw staws to see who's going to be on which side  ;)

John

I have drawn my straw; and it is a short straw.? ;) ;)
Since property rights got the short end in Kelo, I think short straws should be on the side of private property rights.

I stand with Mike!
It is time to "cut" our losses.  Stand against this madness.
Eminent Domain Must Stop.
Let's end it in New Hampshire!

PS I'm sure Mike would not go along with this, but (Shhhh) all "good" FreeStaters should cut their straws before ariving in Keane.? ?;D
I cut mine.? I had to.

CNHT

Quote from: freedominnh on July 15, 2005, 04:59 AM NHFT
The only way Clements' idea makes sense is to make a documentary about the whole process and how "easy" it would be to successfully carry through an eminent domain taking from beginning to end.

It would be schizophrenic for members of the same group protesting both sides of the issue.? ? Get a quorum of all the inner voices and pick.? It's how I keep peace on my island.

Even in the UK article, Mr. Meany from Weare stated that he can't do it without a petitioned warrant article but failed to mention that there was already one written by CNHT and submitted by former State Rep Gary Hopper. Ask anyone who was sitting with us at JW Hill's one Saturday as we were discussing it back then!
(Dawn heard us)

Dreepa

ok Could someone put this in clear text.

I thought that it is against NH law to take property from an individual and give it to a private person.
If that is the case ( and maybe I am mistaken) then how can it be done in Weare?

If there isn't a law why isn't someone ( I know MIke L posted something on this) saying " yes it is ok in NH to take house. So sorry Souter  or you can pass this law and make an ironclad stand that ED is wrong."

Win Win. 

CNHT

Quote from: Dreepa on July 15, 2005, 04:36 PM NHFT
ok Could someone put this in clear text.

I thought that it is against NH law to take property from an individual and give it to a private person.
If that is the case ( and maybe I am mistaken) then how can it be done in Weare?

<sigh> As explained before, you are correct that NH law prohibits takings for private gain, but does not prohibit takings for PUBLIC gain, such as a park, library, road, bridge, water facility, conservatorium or other municipal 'improvement' and it must be done by a vote of the people with a warrant article on the ballot.
The article has been submitted and this is all in the works.

This is NOT to say the final product can't generate MONEY for the town, as that would be considered 'public good'. Certainly a park with a tourist museum would bring in more revenue for the town than what Souter's current pitiful and unfairly low assessment brings in.

Dave Ridley

Hey is anyone going to the protest from concord or thru concord?
A friend of Henry McKelroy's is looking for a ride from their

call me if you can give him a ride; i'm at 721 1490 and I'll put you in touch

Russell Kanning

tracysaboe