• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

work at home?

Started by Jared, March 04, 2008, 10:45 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

my wife and i are tired of working opposite shifts in order to take care of our kids, and are wondering if anyone knows of any work at home positions that she could look into?

ancapagency

Almost all of the "work at home" jobs are scams or little more than scams.  A good bit of the rest are essentially email spamming jobs. 

The options for working from home are basically:

1)  Start your own business.  OR

2)  Find a job that allows you to telecommute.

#2 is hard, unless you get something in the software/programming field, and even there it's the exception rather than the rule.

#1 is your best option.  Easiest way to do it is to start selling stuff via the internet.  It's not easy--just easiest. 

PowerPenguin

This is not the case at all, but you do have to be on the lookout for fraud. I currently earn income from and use the services of the following companies:

1. 1and1 Internet Services- Various hosting services, from domains and websites to corporate colocation, MS Sharepoint, etc.

Perks according to company:
# Earn up to $300 per sale
# 120 day cookie duration
# Highest affiliate conversion rate in the industry
# Dedicated e-marketing support team
# Exclusive monthly promotions

2. KeepYourAssets.net- An asset protection and privacy services company run by a free marketier and friend of the FSP. I've worked with Steve, the owner, for a couple of years now, and have found him to be honest, and his affiliate programs to be profitable. As the housing bubble continues to pop, people are desperately seeking ways to protect their property from hungry creditors and tax assessors. This demand can be met, and you can get paid to be a part of it ($100-$1,000/sale).

3. Sovereign Life- Similar to #2, except has an international emphasis, and focuses on information and community rather than services directly. Commissions start at $30/sale.

4. Wealthy Affiliate University- An online learning resource and community designed to help you become successful at internet marketing, which is the core of 'working from home' in the digital age. This resource is absolutely amazing, and has been invaluable to me. The affiliate program pays $14 per sale, to boot!

If you're looking for something to read, check out Skip College & Go into Business for Yourself. It's useful for anyone, not just those finishing HS. I have the old edition, before it was focused on that demographic (it's mostly the same).

ancapagency

I stand by what I said--and you didn't rebut anything I said--in fact, after your initial contradiction, you actually supported my statement.  Thank you.

Again:  99% + of the "work at home" opportunities are scams.  The easiest (not easy, but easiest) way to work from home is to sell stuff over the internet (which is what PowerPenguin seems to be doing).  This requires some research, thought, and planning--for which PowerPenguin provided a source.  There are others, if you look around and carefully analyze the problems to be solved.

I can't personally vouch for the businesses PowerPenguin noted, but I don't know anything bad about them either.  But, he also provides an example of one of the "secrets" of effectively working from home:  multiple sources of income.  It's easier to make the money you need by having several things that trickle in a bit than by basing your entire income off of a single source. 

My advice would be to avoid all the advertised "work at home" opportunities, primarily due to the signal to noise ratio--it's just not an effective use of your time.  By all means, check out the businesses PowerPenguin suggested, and ask around the forum a bit to see if there are any others.  If you have a website or two of your own, look into Google Adsense (very slow and a very small amount of money unless you get enormous traffic, but it's still something).  Find stuff to sell on eBay.  And look at your hobbies and interests to see if there are any money-making opportunities there.

Let me add a note on "Mystery Shopping."  You'll see a lot of ads for this out there.  It's not precisely a scam, but it's not really a real source of income per se.  I do a bit of it from time to time.  If you're not familiar with it, I can tell you more (if you ask).  But it's occasionally a way to get a "free" meal at a restaurant (you pay up front, do the "shop," and get reimbursed later).  I did a few retail shops when I first started, but they're just way too time and resource intensive to be worth it usually, so I don't do them at all anymore. 

Always remember--if an offer seems to good to be true, it almost definitely is.  And don't trust anyone who wants you to pay up front to make money from work at home opportunities--that's the standard scam.