• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH Medical Insurance Providers

Started by FTL_Ian, March 07, 2008, 03:35 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

Anthem & Celtic

Are there any others?

mackler

Some people object to people using the term "we" when they really mean "the government."

I object to people using the term "health insurance" when they really mean "medical insurance."

Health insurance is exercising, eating right, and looking both ways before you cross the street.

That said, I'm also interested in knowing which medical insurers do business in New Hampshire.

FTL_Ian

Porcupine_in_MA

Porcupine_in_MA

This is the list I've found

Assurant Health (Formerly Fortis)
Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Hampshire
Celtic
Golden Rule

From what it says thats all there is. Boy, whats up with that? You'd think there would be a lot more.

grolled

Quote from: mackler on March 07, 2008, 04:12 PM NHFT
I object to people using the term "health insurance" when they really mean "medical insurance."

Health insurance is exercising, eating right, and looking both ways before you cross the street.

That said, I'm also interested in knowing which medical insurers do business in New Hampshire.

Would you also have the same problem with the term "car insurance"?  Car insurance is making sure you change the oil, rotate tires, avoid accidents and put gas in the car.

Isn't "car insurance" just insurance for when you have some specific problem with your car just like "health insurance" is for when you have some specific problem with your "health"?

It is all just semantics, so what was your point?

Porcupine_in_MA

Point is that he is being a picky ass-ache over nothing. Semantics is exactly right. Anyway I think thats a complete list for you Ian. Hope that helps.

FTL_Ian

When a company is processing your application... if you don't tell them you were in the hospital, do they have a way of finding out?

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: FTL_Ian on March 07, 2008, 05:36 PM NHFT
When a company is processing your application... if you don't tell them you were in the hospital, do they have a way of finding out?

Yeah. Probably several ways.

mackler

Quote from: grolled on March 07, 2008, 04:44 PM NHFT
Quote from: mackler on March 07, 2008, 04:12 PM NHFT

Would you also have the same problem with the term "car insurance"?  Car insurance is making sure you change the oil, rotate tires, avoid accidents and put gas in the car.

Isn't "car insurance" just insurance for when you have some specific problem with your car just like "health insurance" is for when you have some specific problem with your "health"?

It is all just semantics, so what was your point?

Car insurance "insures" that your car be working properly.  Medical insurance in no way insures that you be healthy.  Rather, medical insurance insures that you have access to allopathic medical doctors and the treatments they employ.  But being able to get service from MDs in no way insures your health.  In fact, seeing a doctor is one of the most dangerous things you can do for your health.  Dr. Barbara Starfield, MD, MPH, of the Department of Health Policy and Management at the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health reviewed the relevant statistics in the July 26, 2000 Journal of the American Medical Association (pp 483-84).  She observed that the third leading cause of death in America after heart disease and cancer is doctors!  The amount of deaths caused by doctors is equivalent to three jumbo jets crashing and killing all aboard every two days.  Some of those deaths are from medication errors, unnecessary surgery, or hospital infections, but most of those deaths are from "nonerror, adverse effects of medications."  Medical doctors, just doing what they're "supposed" to do, kill more Americans every years than all but the top four causes of death, and they don't always do what they're supposed to do.

I know this is tough for some people to believe, raised on public education and mass media, taught to trust doctors as saints.  Perhaps an analogy will help.  If you're like me, you went to a public school, where you were taught that the police are your friends, there to help you.  Relying on the police, you were told, is the best way--really the only way--to obtain security.  This message is reinforced by the mass media through countless dramatic television programs and movies glorifying the heroic officers and detectives.  Police are tireless defenders of the weak and needy, who never fail to use the tools at their disposal to "get the bad guy."  When you have a security emergency, you must dial 911 and the paramilitary security experts will come and save you.

Later in life, many of us figured out that this is not the way the world really works.  Whether people join the police force for noble reasons, or rather out of a desire for the respect and authority that comes from wearing a badge and being addressed as "officer," the power takes its toll.  On top of that, the reality is that police have few tools: guns, sticks, tasers.  They often use their tools on whatever gets in their way, and if you're lucky they'll get the bad guy before they get you.  Police are not your friends.  Police are dangerous, and if you're truly interested in having security, you will find alternative ways of obtaining it.

Likewise, if you went to a public school, you were taught that medical doctors are your friends, there to help you.  Relying on medicine, you were told, is the best way--really the only way--to obtain health.  This message is reinforced by the mass media through countless dramatic television programs and movies glorifying the heroic physicians and surgeons.  Doctors are tireless defenders of the sick and needy, who never fail to use the tools at their disposal to "get the bad disease."  When you have a health emergency, you must dial 911 and the paramedical health experts will come and save you.

Later in life, you may figure out that this is not the way the world really works.  Whether people join the medical profession for noble reasons, or rather out of a desire for the respect and authority that comes from wearing a lab coat and being addressed as "doctor," the power takes its toll.  On top of that, the reality is that doctors have few tools: knives, poisons, radiation.  They use their tools on whatever gets in their way, and if you're lucky they'll get the disease before they get you.  Doctors are not your friends.  Doctors are dangerous, and if you're truly interested in having health, you will find alternative ways of obtaining it.

But doctors are actually more dangerous than police.  At least with police, you know what you're dealing with.  You see their gun and you know it's dangerous.  They are often rude and you know they're not your friend.  But doctors are more cunning, better educated, trained to speak in a language you may not understand.  They smile to gain your confidence, call their poisons "medicine" and their mutilations "surgery."  Most insidiously, you may never associate the injuries they cause with the "treatment" that caused it, believing instead that they're helping you, and thanking them for helping you, when all they're helping you to is your grave and bankruptcy.

All the while the leaders of the medical cult shout "science" as a bible-beater shouts "Jesus," relying on the fact that most people will never bother to find out whether their practices are really scientifically sound or not. Yet the very terminology of the medical establishment--"orthodox medicine" and "miracle drugs"--comes from religion, not science.  According to the New York Times, April 19, 1998, p. SM36, "Up to 85 percent of prescribed medical treatments lack scientific validation."  Treatments from those as simple as aspirin to those as "advanced" as chemotherapy have never been proven in the kind of clinical trials the lack of which MDs use as justification for denouncing less profitable alternatives as "quackery."  And it's a scientific fact that many medical treatments actually cause the disease they're meant to treat, for example radiation to treat cancer. 

Meanwhile the medical industry uses the coercive power of the state to enforce its monopoly.  It has built up institutionalized government agencies in the form of the FDA and the orwellianly-named National Institutes of Health to prevent any non-monopolizable therapies from getting the approval for testing that would threaten orthodox medicine's lucrative monopoly with competition.  It has outlawed the use of the word "cure" by anyone who lacks government permission, and the government regulators who grant such permission are under the firm control of the medical industry.

No, my friends, medicine is not health, and medical insurance is not health insurance.  If you think it's just semantics, then all I can tell you is: "have a nice death."  I hope you enjoy it, because you'll pay for it with your last penny.

kola

I agree with mackler. But I call it Sick Insurance. The "medical monkeys" have no interest in health and healing. They do their best by keeping you sick. A healthy patient generates zero dollars for the medical whore establishment.

Kola

kola

You may want to look at when MD's went on strike. I believe it happened twice in Israel...1983 and 2000.

result? Less people died.

yup.

btw, BMJ British Medical Journal is highly respected peer review literature amongst the medical community.
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/320/7249/1561

http://www.chiropracticresearch.org/NEWSdeath_rate_drops_during_doctor_s.htm

J’raxis 270145

I object to calling it "insurance." How about "scam"? ;D

mackler

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on March 08, 2008, 12:48 AM NHFT
I object to calling it "insurance." How about "scam"? ;D

or pre-overpayment.

or scam.

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: mackler on March 07, 2008, 11:10 PM NHFT
Meanwhile the medical industry uses the coercive power of the state to enforce its monopoly.  It has built up institutionalized government agencies in the form of the FDA and the orwellianly-named National Institutes of Health to prevent any non-monopolizable therapies from getting the approval for testing that would threaten orthodox medicine's lucrative monopoly with competition.  It has outlawed the use of the word "cure" by anyone who lacks government permission, and the government regulators who grant such permission are under the firm control of the medical industry.

This here is all true. My point was we know what Ian was meaning, so going on about how you "object" to his use of terminology I think is pointless. Even on a message board. I don't get all touchy with other folk about their teminology offline and online. What is the point of it at the end of the day? So now someone uses the phrase "medical insurance" over "health insurance" whoopy doo.
My pet peeve is folk using redundant language... VIN number, PIN number, CD disc etc. I don't give anyone shit over it though. Why bother?