• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Starting a Liberty District -- in Texas

Started by libertydistricts, March 09, 2008, 08:19 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

d_goddard

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on March 21, 2008, 01:56 PM NHFT
I wouldn't take an issue with a municipality being a religious government. Municipalities are small enough and easy enough to stay away from if you disagree with them
Hmmm... the old argument of "You're free because you're free to leave!"

Religious restrictions on a privately-owned area and/or a set of deed restrictions in an area are fine and dandy.
The moment we have a municipal corporation, we have a problem.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: d_goddard on March 21, 2008, 02:38 PM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on March 21, 2008, 01:56 PM NHFT
I wouldn't take an issue with a municipality being a religious government. Municipalities are small enough and easy enough to stay away from if you disagree with them
Hmmm... the old argument of "You're free because you're free to leave!"

Religious restrictions on a privately-owned area and/or a set of deed restrictions in an area are fine and dandy.
The moment we have a municipal corporation, we have a problem.

More like, "you're free to not join in the first place." This is a new municipality they're talking about forming, isn't it?

I don't support existing municipalities doing something like this, because they already have thousands of inhabitants, none of whom have any sort of agreement with the municipality to follow such rules. Currently, people just move to any city they choose and put up with more-or-less the same statist crap wherever they go—and since no one ever agreed to these rules, I don't see them as legitimate and wouldn't say "you're free to leave" to dissenters.

In a free society, "municipalities" probably wouldn't exist, and people would probably try to found religious cities using the private-ownership model as you mentioned.