• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Shire Player Cards

Started by Tom Sawyer, March 12, 2008, 10:36 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

I was thinking of these as, like, sports collectible cards... revolutionary players so to speak.

However, the playing card theme got me thinking... well it woke me up, actually. So... insomnia and maybe just plain old dementia can be blamed for this next inspiration.

May the Queen, the Cardinal and Kira have mercy on my soul.
(Betty Page, also) :blush:

Tom Sawyer

Part of the Chicks of the underground series
The Shire's Queen of Hearts
Hostess of the Party

Pat K

Russell Kanning

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Caleb on March 13, 2008, 08:14 PM NHFT
Ouch! Two jabs in only one thread.  8) The Cardinal sure has it in for the poor joker.

Besides, someone stole my Lennon glasses.  :'(  I guess I wasn't resisting evil by force enough.
loosing lennon glasses ... is not a loss :icon_pirat:

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 14, 2008, 05:33 AM NHFT
I recognize that one.

Yeah, I liked her smile in that shot.  :)

Fleeting moments captured are the cool thing about still photography... in many ways I like it better than moving pictures... goes along with my "less is more" theory.

dalebert

That's awesome, Tom. Yet more reason why we need to find a company that prints custom playing cards. We could have Shire Playing Cards at Porcfest!

Eli

I think shutterfly will print 1 image on the back of a deck of cards.  Don't know anyone who would do decks of individuall printed cards.  Certainly not of a high enough quality to play with at a Print-on-demand volume.

dalebert

Quote from: Eli on March 14, 2008, 10:29 AM NHFT
I think shutterfly will print 1 image on the back of a deck of cards.  Don't know anyone who would do decks of individuall printed cards.  Certainly not of a high enough quality to play with at a Print-on-demand volume.

If you have sheets of the right material that you can print one large image on (all 52 cards), isn't it just one more step to run them through a machine that cuts them and stacks them into a deck? Surely this technology is not out of our reach in this day and age?  :D If not print-on-demand, maybe there's a way to get a bulk order. Just riskier if you're not able to sell enough of them, of course.

Eli

I didn't say it was impossible.  Just expensive.

dalebert

Quote from: Eli on March 14, 2008, 10:48 AM NHFT
I didn't say it was impossible.  Just expensive.

I wonder how it compares to how a deck of cards is made now. Print-on-demand is always more involved than mass printing, but it doesn't seem particularly more expensive than any other print-on-demand product. There's just the extra step of cutting and stacking which can be automated. I suspect it has more to do with a lack of demand. There may not be enough demand for specialized decks to justify the development. Most graphics for POD are pretty simple. It takes a lot of work to design an entire deck. Probably not many people want one bad enough.

SethCohn

KBCraig

For a real Shire "Player" card, you need Ian in a pimp suit.  8)

Tom Sawyer

Radical_Teen

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on March 14, 2008, 04:00 AM NHFT
Part of the Chicks of the underground series
The Shire's Queen of Hearts
Hostess of the Party

That's not my mother. :o