• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

House backs pot decriminalization

Started by ny2nh, March 18, 2008, 02:52 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Ron Helwig on March 22, 2008, 10:28 AM NHFT
We need to let the politicos know that we are a force to be reckoned with. If that means ending the political career of a politician and replacing them temporarily with someone a little worse, I'm fine with that. We'll end the replacement's political career as well. This is something I believe we need to do if we are going to get them to understand that we aren't going away.

I think ending GoonTard's political career, even if it means temporarily putting in a worse mayor/governor, will go a long way towards showing our strength and making freedom's enemies quake in their designer shoes.

I am suggesting we adopt the elimination of GoonTard's political career as a goal.

Heh, this reminds me of the "AIPAC strategy" I've talked about before—if a politician pisses these guys off (most often by opposing the cozy U.S.–Israeli relationship), they will end that politician's career, by throwing so much money at his opponent he doesn't stand a chance of being reëlected. This would certainly be a useful strategy, but I think it would directly undermine any claim that we have principles.

As for the specific case of employing this or anything else against Guinta, I still want to see what comes out of this whole situation. No doubt ny2nh has or will personally speak to the Mayor over this and let him know how badly he riled up some of his supporters. If he ends up issuing some sort of retraction or apology to Scannell, or even (unlikely, but hey) is somehow convinced to support the HB1623 reform efforts, I'd consider this incident to be closed.

SethCohn

Guinta's outrageous call for throwing out Scannell most likely worked to help polarize average people who were on the fence into _supporting_ HB1623, by turning it into a free speech (or at least free voting of your conscience) so it not only backfired, but likely cost him what little credibility and support he had left with many in the 'freedom circle'.

So in the end, that's a good thing: he burned a bridge quite publically, which is far better than quietly burning it behind people's back or in secret... and he made clear that he doesn't have much respect for individual freedoms as basic as the right to vote your conscience...

Dave Ridley

agreed, but we do need to keep on him over this enough so he doesn't do it again.

Quote from: lildog on March 21, 2008, 03:55 PM NHFT
Good God people, one (or even several) mistakes and you're all ready to put a stake in Guinta.

Maybe its just my way of thinking but even if a politician screws up as Guinta did here, unless they screw up big time I always fear that if we vote them out we'll end up with someone much worse.  Several here have said Frank was less bad then the person they voted out.... so why go back to someone even worse?  Sure if someone comes along even better then by all means support them but don't sink a ship without knowing what the other option is first.  It may be far worse.

d_goddard

Quote from: DadaOrwell on March 23, 2008, 02:39 PM NHFT
we do need to keep on him over this enough so he doesn't others learn not to do it again.
FTFY

watershed

Just keep smoking all!

Its only ILLEGAL if you get caught!

lildog

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on March 21, 2008, 04:39 PM NHFTPolice-statist Giuliani's major claim to fame is that, as New York City mayor, he "cleaned up crime" in the city (e.g., by arresting the homeless), and Manchester's "tough on crime" mayor endorsed him, which implies he endorses that, which made me very wary of supporting him.

I don't think that's a valid conclusion to draw.  People often times support or choose not to support a candidate based on only a handful of stances and not the candidates entire resume.  Often times you will find that choices presented to you of those running will leave you without someone who you agree with 100% so you're left having to pick who you support the most of what choices you have. 

lildog

Quote from: DadaOrwell on March 23, 2008, 02:39 PM NHFT
agreed, but we do need to keep on him over this enough so he doesn't do it again.

Quote from: lildog on March 21, 2008, 03:55 PM NHFT
Good God people, one (or even several) mistakes and you're all ready to put a stake in Guinta.

Maybe its just my way of thinking but even if a politician screws up as Guinta did here, unless they screw up big time I always fear that if we vote them out we'll end up with someone much worse.  Several here have said Frank was less bad then the person they voted out.... so why go back to someone even worse?  Sure if someone comes along even better then by all means support them but don't sink a ship without knowing what the other option is first.  It may be far worse.

Very true.

Beth221

I wrote to the Mayor, to comment on his threatening behavior, and this is what I received, today, via email.

Dear Beth,

Thank you for your comments regarding this issue. I believe that Mr.
Scannell's vote on House Bill 1623 is contrary to his job as the Safe
Schools Coordinator for the Manchester School District, which has
policies regarding drug-free schools, a drug-free workplace, and school
curriculum regarding the dangers of drug use. In addition, as stated by
the executive director of the Makin' It Happen coalition in today's
Union Leader, which Mr. Scannell is a board member, this vote sends a
dangerous message to youth that marijuana use is not a big deal.

As a private citizen and as a legislator, he is certainly free to vote
as he chooses. However, as Mayor, as chairman of the Board of School
Committee, and as a parent, I believe his actions are concerning and I
also believe I have a responsibility to address this issue. Part of his
job is to work with agencies committed to keeping youth off drugs;
agencies like Makin' It Happen, who believe his vote was an ill-advised
one. It is my opinion that his vote has compromised his effectiveness as
well as the mission of the school district.

Again, thank you for your comments.

Frank Guinta
Office of the Mayor

Atlas

I thought the bill would only make MJ semi-legal for those 18 and up... Either way, Guinta's jack-booted mentality makes him unfit to be mayor of the largest city in a Free State. Oh, and I suppose that Cheshire co jail superintendent Rick Van Wickler is unfit to be running a county jail since he's a LEAP guy ::)

lildog

I wonder what his thoughts are for teachers who like to booze it up a little on weekends.  Clearly that sends a very bad message to students too right?

Beth221

i wonder what would happen if the mayor had a teenager, who got caught with a little dope, how would he react when his kid gets punished by the current law?  But then again, there would be no charges on him, most likely. 

ny2nh

I often see two perspectives from the same person, and while they do somewhat contradict each other, I can appreciate the differing views. What Frank Guinta may or may not do as the parent of a teenage child, or how he may personally feel about marijuana use - or even this particular piece of legislation....is different than what Frank Guinta the Mayor may have thought. I'm not making any excuse for him or implying that I know what his personal views might be.....but I can somewhat see that what one does in their profession life might not be 100% the same as in their personal life.The Mayor is the CEO of the city - and he seemed to be trying to hold one of his employees (who gets paid with your tax dollars and mine) to their job description - which includes an anti-drug policy aspect.

I know, I know, this was just a bill that reduced the penalty - not legalized or promoted drug usage among kids in any way. IMO, this was a more of a knee-jerk reaction than a thought out policy decision.

I'll choose to spend my energies explaining the issue better to those who I feel make mis-steps like the mayor did. How's that saying go - don't throw the baby out with the bath water....

Beth221

Quote from: ny2nh on March 27, 2008, 11:29 AM NHFT
I know, I know, this was just a bill that reduced the penalty - not legalized or promoted drug usage among kids in any way. IMO, this was a more of a knee-jerk reaction than a thought out policy decision.

I think he is angling it from the aspect that this bill is a step closer to promoting drug use in our city.

Caleb

As well it should! Pot is an incredibly useful drug that ought to be used far more often than it is now.  I never have been able to understand the fascination with this Guinta character.

Beth221

i agree with you 100%.

He is angling it from the DRUGS ARE BAD M'KAY perspective.