• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

House backs pot decriminalization

Started by ny2nh, March 18, 2008, 02:52 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

d_goddard

Quote from: Landon Jeffery on March 19, 2008, 03:11 PM NHFT
Maybe all of the new hampshireites that care for this bill to pass should hold a peaceful marijuana smoke n toke right outside of the senate
That would guarantee the measure would not pass, and make any future steps forward virtually impossible for about a decade.

Do keep in mind: it blew the mind of every NH political 'insider' that this vote passed the House. That was not supposed to happen!  >:D

Quote from: dalebert on March 19, 2008, 04:06 PM NHFT
it's natural for an aggressive state to expand. It's taking it in the other direction that's difficult.
Agreed, of course.
I still posit that to freeze frogs, you use the same technique as for boiling them.

MengerFan

Hmmm, I think I get it. Since a puppy becomes a dog, we can logically conclude that we can turn the dog back into a puppy.

Landon Jeffery

Quote from: d_goddard on March 19, 2008, 04:25 PM NHFT
That would guarantee the measure would not pass, and make any future steps forward virtually impossible for about a decade.

Do keep in mind: it blew the mind of every NH political 'insider' that this vote passed the House. That was not supposed to happen!  >:D

And why exactly would that guarantee it will not pass?  If you ask me it can't hurt considering I believe they will shoot it down anyways.  Dennis do you think that having a peaceful protest against the marijuana laws be a step back from affecting change in the public opinion or only in the opinion of the senate?  I think if you consider the government to be illigitimate then you have no other choice but to ignore its opinion and to blatently show your non cooperation with their unjust *laws*.  I guess I am an idealist and it blows my mind that the government has infected so many people with their fear-laced propaghanda.

d_goddard

Quote from: Landon Jeffery on March 19, 2008, 05:37 PM NHFT
Quote from: d_goddard on March 19, 2008, 04:25 PM NHFT

And why exactly would that guarantee it will not pass?

Human psychology.
The reason MJ decrim hasn't passed yet isn't actually because the legislators are hellspawn who take pleasure in destroying lives. Rather, they are afraid of marijuana, the way some people are afraid of guns, and their response to that fear is exactly the same as any gun-grabber: make it illegal!

It's illogical, and because and it destroys all our freedoms in the process, unforgiveable.
But you have to understand the motivation at least a little if you hope to change the behavior.

Dennis do you think that having a peaceful protest against the marijuana laws be a step back from affecting change in the public opinion or only in the opinion of the senate?
The people who are reacting emotionally and illogically will NOT see a peaceful protest. They will see PEOPLE! USING *DRUGS*! ... and it would reinforce their knee-jerk opinions.

The way to change their behavior is for people who are known to them, and trusted by them, and who they respect, tell them in the most nonthreatening manner possible, that they use pot responsibly.

Quote from: Landon Jeffery on March 19, 2008, 05:37 PM NHFTit blows my mind that the government has infected so many people with their fear-laced propaghanda.
It's fuckedup, but it's true.
The Big Lie propaganda has become "truth" for a lot of people. That's what we're up against.

One more time: it passed the House, against all expectations.
WE got it past the house.

watershed

wE CAN'T SEND GOOD MEN TO PRISON!!!!!!

Thats the message!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Landon Jeffery

Quote from: d_goddard on March 19, 2008, 05:54 PM NHFT
Human psychology.
The reason MJ decrim hasn't passed yet isn't actually because the legislators are hellspawn who take pleasure in destroying lives. Rather, they are afraid of marijuana, the way some people are afraid of guns, and their response to that fear is exactly the same as any gun-grabber: make it illegal!

It's illogical, and because and it destroys all our freedoms in the process, unforgiveable.
But you have to understand the motivation at least a little if you hope to change the behavior.

Thanks for the clarification dennis.  I am not so sure I agree with your view that the majority of people will only react emotionally and therefore irrationally.  If what I have read is correct then the American revolution was incited by not the majority of the populous but my a significant minority.  So for those that react irrationally I say fuck 'em.  The best and the brightest will bring about the largest change and I already believe the the brightest people already know that pot is not harmful and would like to see it legalized.  I think that now we need to show to those people that we are ready for that change and that will require some disobedience against the status quo.  I have seen polls about legalization of pot that show a huge portion of those living in america think that pot should not be illegal.  Using the system which is supported in part by these unjust and rediculous laws seems to me to be a "conflict of interest"  as was pointed out in the testimonies of the chief of police and others representing the state.  I would like to point out that my views are skewed by my eternal optimism so take what I say with a grain of salt.  

dalebert

Dennis do you think that having a peaceful protest against the marijuana laws be a step back from affecting change in the public opinion or only in the opinion of the senate?

I would never argue with Denis about what it takes to change laws in NH. That's his domain. I will say this though. I like you're style! When are you moving here? Let's let them finish this little political maneuver and then we can talk about your idea.  8)

FTL_Ian

Fuck yeah, Landon.  We need more people like you in Keene.  Public marijuana smoking coming soon!  (after we try gambling first)  8)

d_goddard

Quote from: Landon Jeffery on March 19, 2008, 06:37 PM NHFT
I have seen polls about legalization of pot that show a huge portion of those living in america think that pot should not be illegal.
In a way, that is why NH is uniquely the state where political strategies are likely to work: highly representative democracy.
The fact is, pretty much anybody who really works at it can be a State Rep here. It's not necessarily easy, but it's light-years difference between NH and any other state.

In other words... this is the one state where a small, dedicated group of political activists can "take over" the government and effect change quickly. I know that's the case, because the Democrats did it in 2006.

Quote from: FTL_Ian on March 19, 2008, 08:01 PM NHFT
Fuck yeah, Landon.  We need more people like you in Keene.  Public marijuana smoking coming soon!  (after we try gambling first)  8)
Keene is one of the very few places where a public demo might actually help -- because so many of the elected "officials" in Keene already agree with legalization.
Any such act would still put us political workers in serious damage-control mode, though.
If it must be done... please, wait till the legislative session ends in June :)

BTW... if HB1623 passes, I am happy to pay a $200 fine for a public act of CivDis.

Tom Sawyer

...The sweet sound of patent approval comin' down in a world of hurt
In my opinion the drug is ready
The warm hand of abject approval
comin' down with its' ropey veins
The warm hand of abject approval
comin' down to the fingerbowl
In my opinion the drug is ready...

Tragically Hip
Butts Wigglin

FTL_Ian

Quote from: d_goddard on March 19, 2008, 08:04 PM NHFT
Any such act would still put us political workers in serious damage-control mode, though.

BTW... if HB1623 passes, I am happy to pay a $200 fine for a public act of CivDis.

Civ dis doesn't include fine paying.  The point is to disobey, silly!   ::)

July 4thish is the next Freedom Fest.

dalebert

It would be better if we force them to put us in jail to pay the fine off with time and cost the state money.

Kat Kanning

Congrats guys.  I hope it works out like you want it to.

Landon Jeffery

Quote from: dalebert on March 19, 2008, 07:55 PM NHFT
I would never argue with Denis about what it takes to change laws in NH. That's his domain. I will say this though. I like you're style! When are you moving here? Let's let them finish this little political maneuver and then we can talk about your idea.  8)

I am planning on FEB09 as my move date.  But I am planning on attending porc fest this summer so bring out the buds!  Perhaps Barry Cooper will be at porc fest  ;) 

Quote from: FTL_Ian on March 19, 2008, 08:01 PM NHFT
Thanks Ian.  I plan to move to the Keene area because from what I can tell that is the area with the majority of the "extreme" activists that I was hoping to find in NH. 
Quote from: d_goddard on March 19, 2008, 08:04 PM NHFT

Keene is one of the very few places where a public demo might actually help -- because so many of the elected "officials" in Keene already agree with legalization.

I would like you to agree to do some CivDis even if it doesn't pass.  If you have principled beliefs that you should choose what you put in your body then it is the only honorable thing to do.

d_goddard

Quote from: FTL_Ian on March 19, 2008, 08:19 PM NHFT
Civ dis doesn't include fine paying.  The point is to disobey, silly!   ::)
*sigh* ... Mr. more-civ-dis-than-thou
Is it only "real" civ dis if you are willing to accept any fate, up to and including death, for refusing to obey?

In my case I'd be intentionally breaking the law, with every intention of paying the bribe to have the matter dropped.
Too bad if that doesn't count for you.