• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

"Check Engine" light on?

Started by jaqeboy, March 20, 2008, 01:20 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

Quote from: freedominnh on March 26, 2008, 03:41 PM NHFT
Chevy Novas that vintage still appear from time to time on Craigslist for as little as $1500--2 grand.  Twice in past six months.  One was in Goffstown.  I'll let you know next time I see one Rainey.

Thank you that is very nice of you! :)  I hope if you run into a good deal and I have the money.  I look on Craigslist and I missed out on one that was $1800, in pretty good condition but I didn't have the money then.  There was one on there cheaper a couple of months ago but the guy selling it said he thinks it may need quite a bit of work. :(

Pat K

Quote from: raineyrocks on March 23, 2008, 07:38 AM NHFT
One time my "check engine" idiot light came on and it was just because I didn't shut the gas cap all of the way.   I still want my '77 Chevy Nova! :)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Pat K on March 26, 2008, 09:05 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on March 23, 2008, 07:38 AM NHFT
One time my "check engine" idiot light came on and it was just because I didn't shut the gas cap all of the way.   I still want my '77 Chevy Nova! :)

You tease, you! ;D

doobie

last time my check engine light came on, my mechanic hooked my car up to the computer read out the problem.... asked me about conditions when it came on (did I just start the car, was I driving a while, etc).  Reset the light and told me to come back if it came back on.  Light never came back on.  Didn't charge me a dime.  Not all mechanics are out to get your paycheck.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: doobie on April 05, 2008, 08:21 AM NHFT
last time my check engine light came on, my mechanic hooked my car up to the computer read out the problem.... asked me about conditions when it came on (did I just start the car, was I driving a while, etc).  Reset the light and told me to come back if it came back on.  Light never came back on.  Didn't charge me a dime.  Not all mechanics are out to get your paycheck.

That was nice of him and your right I don't want to think everyone's the same out to make a buck! :)

jaqeboy

The generic DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes) are mandated by the federal govt for 1996 cars forward (OBD-II standard - some cars before that had OBD or other manufacturer-specific system), but actually set by the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers).

Here's a quick FAQ: OBD2 Codes Explained.

The error codes for specific cars can be found on this site by clicking on the link for your car.

I'm looking at a Honda today which runs rough and has a "check engine" light on - we'll see what the diagnosis is...

Beth221

Jack,
I am out of town for a few weeks, but my check engine light came on, I checked it myself, reset it, but its back..

O2 sensor fail..... 

something you can fix?

jaqeboy

Quote from: Sapphire on April 28, 2008, 05:58 PM NHFT
Jack,
I am out of town for a few weeks, but my check engine light came on, I checked it myself, reset it, but its back..

O2 sensor fail..... 

something you can fix?

Yeah, sure - does it say which one? we can check prices for it online.

Beth221

O2 sensor-slow response-(Bank 1 Sensor 1)

jaqeboy

OK, and what was the year, make and model again?

Beth221

not too old, made out of plastic, flinstone.

03 hyundai accent, 89K

jaqeboy

Quote from: Sapphire on April 29, 2008, 07:38 AM NHFT
not too old, made out of plastic, flinstone.

03 hyundai accent, 89K

OK Chief, I'll get on it right away!

Russell Kanning

cool Jack .... it would be fun to hook up your machine to our van in Hobbiton sometime. :)

When I was driving big rigs, everyone was driving around in a tractor with the light on. The guys at the shop would just tell me to ignore it. :)

jaqeboy

I carry it with me in my briefcase, along with the list of generic codes, so I can at least read the DTC (diagnostic trouble code) right off. Determining what to do about it (if anything) is the next step. We can check it out next time we're both up that way.

Beth221

no rush, i am out of the state for a few weeks.