• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Book review for Dalebert

Started by KBCraig, March 20, 2008, 08:36 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

ReverendRyan

QuoteAs implied by the title, this collection probes deeply into Wagner's vast Ring piece. Accusations of anti-semitism make Wagner's Ring a sensitive area today, but it continues to offer pleasure to many. This is a masterful work of musical scholarship that deserves a place on any sturdy shelf. No doubt it will influence appreciation of Wagner's Ring for many years to come. Among the highlights is the revealing chapter on the many characters than Wagner has managed to cram into his Ring. Also covered are the brass instruments that Wagner designed specifically for use within the Ring. There will always be those who are opposed to musical analysis (just the same as there will always be those who resort to juvenile humour, regarding the title). They will say that Wagner's Ring is 'violated' with excessive force of scholarship. For this reviewer, however, Wagner's Ring remains quite intact and is indeed tightened by the exploration. In short, this stimulating venture in and out of Wagner's Ring has resulted in a seminal, fluid output.

Greatest. Book. Review. Ever.

dalebert

That's cool but I'm not sure I understand the personal mention. Is there something about it that made you think of me? I'm missing something.

ReverendRyan

Quote from: dalebert on March 20, 2008, 09:36 PM NHFT
That's cool but I'm not sure I understand the personal mention. Is there something about it that made you think of me? I'm missing something.

Penis imagery?

Caleb

well if you don't know, i'm certainly not going to tell you  8)

KBCraig

That's cool but I'm not sure I understand the personal mention.

Just that you're the only one I know on the forum who has studied the subject (not that there's anything wrong with that).

And you have a sense of humor. I hope!  ;)

dalebert

What subject? I'm familiar with the story line I think, but I think I read a graphic novel version of the opera or something. Or is this the review that made you think of me? I suppose if you have a dirty mind, like Ryan for instance  ;) , you could interpret this in a perverted way.

QuoteWhen I initially came across Wagner's Ring it was like a revelation. I couldn't quite put my finger on it - but I wanted to. Within minutes of dimming my lights and burying my head into it I became enveloped in its cavernous depths. Now having withdrawn, I feel that by entering the ring myself, a little hole in me has been filled. I thoroughly recommend everyone to take the plunge into Wagner's wonderful piece.

KBCraig

You're right. I was mistaken when I thought you had studied German opera. It's Ryan who is the dirty-minded pervert.

Shunnn.... shuuunnn the pervert!