• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Wearing Black Robes When Russell Appears in Court

Started by FTL_Ian, March 22, 2008, 11:08 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Notanumber

Quote from: mackler on March 23, 2008, 05:35 PM NHFT
Quote from: MTPorcupine3 on March 23, 2008, 11:53 AM NHFT
Quote from: ancapagency on March 23, 2008, 10:02 AM NHFT

Of course, it'll get all those who do it thrown in jail for contempt.  Still a great idea.

Would that be civil contempt or criminal contempt? Direct contempt or indirect contempt? What law says we can't wear a robe in court?

A judge can hold you in contempt for any reason or no reason.

Technically correct, but if Im not mistaken, most contempt orders are reviewable on an abuse of discretion standard.  Most judges are smart enough to not abuse this power, since most jurisdictions have some mechanism for removal of judges engaging in heinous abuse, usually by action of other judges though, who are themselves reluctant to raise a hand to one of their own.   

In the end, its politics, but Id bet a dollar that openly mocking the court could get you a week in the local jail without too many eyebrows being raised.

Beth221

i have a black judges robe that I purchased at a halloween store, maybe call an Iparty, they might have some in inventory? 

But, if I can not make the date, I would be willing to rent my robe out!

srqrebel

I love the idea of wearing black robes to Russell's court appearance, especially since he had been pushing the idea.  The black robes, combined with not rising, may get all of us held in contempt... but I think there is a very good chance it will be ignored.  If not, it likely would make headlines as an overreaction by the judge, which is in our favor.

IMO, being outright disruptive, such as banging gavels or shouting out in the courtroom, would almost certainly get us the clink, and make us appear as a bunch of jerks who deserved what we got.

ReverendRyan

Since the catholic church starting allowing girls to serve at the altar about a decade ago, churches have slowly been converting to unisex vestments. A lot of churches have the old ones stashed away in storage, and some designs were very similar to judges' robes (the black cassock part, not the white thing over it). You might want to call local churches and if they have some laying around, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to part with them at a reasonable price.

David

Quote from: dalebert on March 23, 2008, 10:07 AM NHFT
I think we need to start exercising a bit more thought about acts of civil disobedience if we want to be taken seriously. I know this seems fun, but what will it accomplish? If the judge lashes out and punishes us, will people sympathize? What will our statement be when people ask why we did it? I have answers for that if I ever get charged with contempt of court for not standing up. I guess my answer would be similar for this, but I don't think people would take me as seriously. I'm not saying at this point "don't do it" but I am trying to get a little dialog going to be sure we've thought this through.

I agree.  What would it accomplish?  By the time you are in court, you have already been accused by someone, who had the choice to ignore you.  The judge legitamizes the whole, thing, but what level of ridicule is too much versus what is effective?

srqrebel

I am comfortable with any kind of calm and peaceful demonstration in the courtroom. It serves to fully expose the evil nature of the bully when his response to that is violence.

Wearing robes, and remaining seated are in that category.

Banging gavels and shouting out are disruptive and clearly inciteful.

J’raxis 270145

Have to concur with that: If the goal is simply to refuse to acknowledge the judge's "authority" over us, then we should treat him as an equal—no one would rudely yell at and interrupt someone they consider to be their equal, right?

ReverendRyan

At the very least, someone should get a robe to accompany the FIJA Wookie on his outings  :)

dalebert

Reminds me of Father Guido Sarduche (sp?) on Saturday Night Live doing his "You can be the Pope" sketch. We should do a parody of it for YouTube- "You can be a judge".

John Edward Mercier

Will he get a court date? I was under the impression that the warrant was from another State.

ReverendRyan

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on March 24, 2008, 10:46 AM NHFT
Will he get a court date? I was under the impression that the warrant was from another State.

Extradition hearing?

Kat Kanning

FTL_Ian

Update: Costume Ladies does not sell judge robes.

slim

Just a thought you might want to look in to the wigs that judges would wear also.