• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Wearing Black Robes When Russell Appears in Court

Started by FTL_Ian, March 22, 2008, 11:08 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

Russell came up with the idea of wearing black robes into the courtroom.  Perhaps we should execute that plan for his next court appearance. 

Anyone know when that is?

I will call Costume Ladies on Monday to see if they can get us a quantity discount.

mackler

Quote from: FTL_Ian on March 22, 2008, 11:08 PM NHFT
Russell came up with the idea of wearing black robes into the courtroom.  Perhaps we should execute that plan for his next court appearance. 

I will call Costume Ladies on Monday to see if they can get us a quantity discount.

You should all bring gavels, and applaud each decision the judge makes by banging your gavels and shouting "Order!...Order!...Order!"

ancapagency

Quote from: mackler on March 23, 2008, 05:52 AM NHFT
Quote from: FTL_Ian on March 22, 2008, 11:08 PM NHFT

You should all bring gavels, and applaud each decision the judge makes by banging your gavels and shouting "Order!...Order!...Order!"

That would be beautiful!  You'd have to get a lot of folks to do it, and everyone would have to smuggle the robes and gavels into the courtroom and put them on once inside.

Looks like this should be a Pledge Bank item.

Of course, it'll get all those who do it thrown in jail for contempt.  Still a great idea.

dalebert

I think we need to start exercising a bit more thought about acts of civil disobedience if we want to be taken seriously. I know this seems fun, but what will it accomplish? If the judge lashes out and punishes us, will people sympathize? What will our statement be when people ask why we did it? I have answers for that if I ever get charged with contempt of court for not standing up. I guess my answer would be similar for this, but I don't think people would take me as seriously. I'm not saying at this point "don't do it" but I am trying to get a little dialog going to be sure we've thought this through.

Jim Johnson

Choir Robes are essentially the same thing.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: ancapagency on March 23, 2008, 10:02 AM NHFT
That would be beautiful!  You'd have to get a lot of folks to do it, and everyone would have to smuggle the robes and gavels into the courtroom and put them on once inside.

Looks like this should be a Pledge Bank item.

Of course, it'll get all those who do it thrown in jail for contempt.  Still a great idea.

No, I would be wearing it on the way into the courtroom.  Are they going to discriminate against me and prevent me from entering a "public" court because I'm wearing a robe?

FTL_Ian

Barterer

Quote from: FTL_Ian on March 23, 2008, 10:27 AM NHFT
Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on March 23, 2008, 10:23 AM NHFT
Judicial Robes

http://www.springerco.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=6

Those are little pricey... If you're going to order online, try these:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002-6676098-0259240?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=judge+costume&x=0&y=0
(FTL will get a percentage of the sale, by the way!)
What part of that URL invokes the percentage to FTL, and how do I generate FTL-inclusive links?  I like giving people links to amazon for gift ideas and whatnot, but hate saying "Enter through amazon.freetalklive.com, then look for ______ product."

Caleb

I sympathize with what you are saying, Dale. All acts of civil disobedience are not created equal.

That having been said, the judge is essentially playing to people's sense of awe with his costume and his seating. the whole thing is designed to establish his authority in their minds. the "all rise" is part of it too. it's designed to lend solemnity and respectability to what is nothing more than a man sitting there and making decisions about how much violence the thug gets to use against the accused.  i think making a mockery of that might do something to undo that illusion in people's minds.

I think yelling "order" would be disruptive, and might not get any sympathy.  But sitting there respectfully in a black robe and wig without disrupting anything. Well, I think that could get good press if he does anything to those people because most people aren't going to think "oh yeah, those people need to be in jail." most people will laugh.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Barterer on March 23, 2008, 11:09 AM NHFT
What part of that URL invokes the percentage to FTL, and how do I generate FTL-inclusive links?  I like giving people links to amazon for gift ideas and whatnot, but hate saying "Enter through amazon.freetalklive.com, then look for ______ product."
I have no clue, but if you enter through amazon.freetalklive.com, just copy the URLs of the items - they will include the code.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: mackler on March 23, 2008, 05:52 AM NHFT

I agree with Caleb.  This sort of escalation would get you tossed out for sure, and you'd look like a jackass to boot.   ::)

MTPorcupine3

Would that be civil contempt or criminal contempt? Direct contempt or indirect contempt? What law says we can't wear a robe in court?

dalebert

Quote from: Caleb on March 23, 2008, 11:39 AM NHFT
That having been said, the judge is essentially playing to people's sense of awe with his costume and his seating. the whole thing is designed to establish his authority in their minds.

Oh I'm very aware of the costumes and badges game. Just wasn't sure if the general public would understand that or just see it kind of juvenile. I still might be coaxed into wearing a robe. Not sure what to think yet.

mackler

Quote from: MTPorcupine3 on March 23, 2008, 11:53 AM NHFT

Would that be civil contempt or criminal contempt? Direct contempt or indirect contempt? What law says we can't wear a robe in court?

A judge can hold you in contempt for any reason or no reason.