• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Smile for the camera!

Started by mackler, March 24, 2008, 07:02 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

mackler

Google is watching.

Lol.  You can read the license plate and everything.

Landon Jeffery

KBCraig

"This image is no longer available."

What did we miss?

elf

Quote from: KBCraig on March 25, 2008, 04:40 PM NHFT

What did we miss?

Craig, move the little yellow humanoid thingy over a bit .... onto a blue street.   Google will then show real photos taken on that very spot where you dropped off the little yellow guy.   

Scary!   Many cities have been photographed - including those in the Shire.   
Hmmm.  Wonder if the photographer knows he needs a Model Release signed since he is publishing those photos and the humans are readily identifiable.

dalebert

Quote from: elf on March 25, 2008, 05:33 PM NHFT
Wonder if the photographer knows he needs a Model Release signed since he is publishing those photos and the humans are readily identifiable.

Google's gone anarchist!

KBCraig

Quote from: elf on March 25, 2008, 05:33 PM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on March 25, 2008, 04:40 PM NHFT

What did we miss?

Craig, move the little yellow humanoid thingy over a bit .... onto a blue street.   Google will then show real photos taken on that very spot where you dropped off the little yellow guy.

I know how Google street view works. And there are still two frames' worth there that are "no longer available", which is why I asked. It's a busy street, but I don't know what Mackler saw.

mackler

Quote from: KBCraig on March 25, 2008, 10:10 PM NHFT
I know how Google street view works. And there are still two frames' worth there that are "no longer available", which is why I asked. It's a busy street, but I don't know what Mackler saw.

It was nothing.  Just a lost tourist pulled over by the side of the road asking for directions from some kids hanging out on the corner.  Well, it looked like they were paying for directions.  Directions wrapped in little plastic baggies.

KBCraig

Quote from: mackler on March 25, 2008, 11:41 PM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on March 25, 2008, 10:10 PM NHFT

It was nothing.  Just a lost tourist pulled over by the side of the road asking for directions from some kids hanging out on the corner.  Well, it looked like they were paying for directions.  Directions wrapped in little plastic baggies.

Ah. Good samaritans in action.  ;)

coffeeseven

I searched for my house and found it, went to street view. I can turn the camera to look right at my house, down the driveway, etc. It appears to be a picture from about a year ago. Am I right to assume that someone has been out taking pictures of pretty much everything to put them on Google Earth?

slim

Quote from: coffeeseven on April 17, 2008, 07:15 AM NHFT
I searched for my house and found it, went to street view. I can turn the camera to look right at my house, down the driveway, etc. It appears to be a picture from about a year ago. Am I right to assume that someone has been out taking pictures of pretty much everything to put them on Google Earth?

Google has a car that drives around and on the car they have cameras mounted that takes pictures. One of my co-workers saw the car when it went through the city where I work. They took the pictures of the city about 6 months ago and they are still not up on the website.

KBCraig

I saw one of the orange mapping cars in my town a few days ago. I can't recall the name of the company, but they're from NH.

You can't miss them: orange car or van with a huge array of cameras on top.

coffeeseven

Puke

Quote from: coffeeseven on April 17, 2008, 12:17 PM NHFT
Not just a little creepy.

Not to me it isn't.
It's all crap you could see from the road if you were driving yourself.
It's also several months out of date. What's to worry about?

coffeeseven

Quote from: Puke on April 17, 2008, 02:35 PM NHFT
Quote from: coffeeseven on April 17, 2008, 12:17 PM NHFT
Not just a little creepy.

Not to me it isn't.
It's all crap you could see from the road if you were driving yourself.
It's also several months out of date. What's to worry about?

Several months out of date is what we are given. It's still surveillance. Now it's out in open domain. Nobody asked me if I wanted a picture of my house put on the internet. I'm not worried that some crazed terrorist is going to bomb me. It's the frog in the pot once again. Getting us used to a little at a time.

Puke

Quote from: coffeeseven on April 17, 2008, 06:16 PM NHFT
Several months out of date is what we are given. It's still surveillance. Now it's out in open domain. Nobody asked me if I wanted a picture of my house put on the internet. I'm not worried that some crazed terrorist is going to bomb me. It's the frog in the pot once again. Getting us used to a little at a time.

That's pretty damn paranoid. If the gov't wants to observe you they aren't going to use Google.