• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Outlaw puppeteer

Started by mackler, April 04, 2008, 07:04 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

ReverendRyan

Quote from: DadaOrwell on May 02, 2008, 07:20 PM NHFT
can someone tell me which law forbids demonstrating on House grounds without a permit?

also great job on the vids john and bill!

Can't find a state law, but here's the Concord ordinance:

15-3-1  Entertainment and Exhibitions.
A person shall not with or without pay:
(a)   Perform any type of entertainment or exhibition whether or not a fee is charged for the entertainment or exhibition;
(b)   Hold or engage in any parade or procession or demonstration or protest march upon any public street, way or property;
(c)   Hold or take part in any open air public meeting upon any public street, way or property;
unless a license or permit therefor in writing, specifying the time, place and object for which said license is granted, shall first be obtained from the Licensing Officer. Applications for licenses under this Section shall be provided by the Licensing Officer.

Also under this ordinance, you'll notice, though the state law only bans paid unlicensed puppeteering, free unlicensed puppeteering is also illegal in Concord, as it is in Manchester.

mackler

Quote from: DadaOrwell on May 02, 2008, 07:20 PM NHFT
can someone tell me which law forbids demonstrating on House grounds without a permit?

I'm surprised you haven't asked that question of the person demanding said permit.

Russell Kanning

How about a place with a fence for the puppet show .... or a couple of us could hold up a curtain.

John

I've been holding this "curtain" up at events for many years.
http://www.nhunderground.com/wiki/tiki-browse_image.php?galleryId=36&sort_mode=created_desc&imageId=1041&scalesize=o
If there is to be a curtain, I'm thinking it should have some advertisement on it.  ;)

John

Here is that background "curtain" at one early "outlaw" event.
I (maybe not obviously) positioned my curtain opposite the media's cameras.

http://www.nhunderground.com/wiki/tiki-browse_image.php?galleryId=22&sort_mode=created_desc&imageId=575&scalesize=o

In this photo - probably taken by Kira Dillon - I'm watching Kat Dillon [later Kanning] get a manicure from "The Outlaw Manicurist, Mike Fisher.

John

Dave Ridley

uggg... i forgot to list contact info on some of the news releases:

for the uninitiated...my number is 603 721 1490 and I"m dave ridley

mackler (or admin) could you post this message at the end of mackler's message on the top of this thread?

Dave Ridley

i will again need a ride to concord from manchester
and a sign that says "illegal gathering"

altho this time i might be able to make one of my own...  never hurts to have more

J’raxis 270145

I plan on going up, so I can take you again. I want to go to the SB337 exec session / protest, too, which is at 10:00. Is that too early?

Dave Ridley

no that's great i would love to videotape the 337 thing!
i will pm u and we can set up an exact time; thanks for wanting to stick with this. 

karenijohnson

THOUREAU and EMERSON civil DISOBEDIENCE link http://www.fff.org/freedom/fd0503e.
http://www.fff.org/freedom/fd0503e.asp
http://www.fff.org/freedom/fd0503e.pdf
**good COMPLETE STORY***

//
excerpt
//

Henry David Thoreau and "Civil Disobedience," Part 1
by Wendy McElroy, Posted July 25, 2005

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

Henry David Thoreau (1817–1862) was an introspective man who wandered the woods surrounding the small village of Concord, Massachusetts, recording the daily growth of plants and the migration of birds in his ever-present journal. How, then, did he profoundly influence such political giants as Mohandas Gandhi, Leo Tolstoy, and Martin Luther King Jr.?

The answer lies in a brief essay that has been variously titled but which is often referred to simply as "Civil Disobedience" (1849). Americans know Thoreau primarily as the author of the book Walden, or Life in the Woods (1854) but it is "Civil Disobedience" that established his reputation in the wider political world. It is one of the most influential political tracts ever written by an American.

"Civil Disobedience" is an analysis of the individual's relationship to the state that focuses on why men obey governmental law even when they believe it to be unjust. But "Civil Disobedience" is not an essay of abstract theory. It is Thoreau's extremely personal response to being imprisoned for breaking the law. Because he detested slavery and because tax revenues contributed to the support of it, Thoreau decided to become a tax rebel. There were no income taxes and Thoreau did not own enough land to worry about property taxes; but there was the hated poll tax — a capital tax levied equally on all adults within a community.

Thoreau declined to pay the tax and so, in July 1846, he was arrested and jailed. He was supposed to remain in jail until a fine was paid which he also declined to pay. Without his knowledge or consent, however, relatives settled the "debt" and a disgruntled Thoreau was released after only one night.

The incarceration may have been brief but it has had enduring effects through "Civil Disobedience." To understand why the essay has exerted such powerful force over time, it is necessary to examine both Thoreau the man and the circumstances of his arrest.

///

Dave Ridley

Posted to the calendar for May 25:

Let's break three laws!

I"m tentatively proposing Sunday May 25 4pm as a date for the third outlaw puppeteer event.   
Since the state house is now mostly inactive, I'm thinking Veterans' Park in Manchester should be the location.
This assumes I don't get arrested for the second puppet event may 6.

I'm also thinking that with each new event, we add a new harmless lawbreaking activity.  Since this is the third event, we need to break three laws.  I am willing to break three myself if I must, but I would prefer other volunteers initiate their own harmless, illegal activities.

Here is a list of harmless stuff that is illegal in new hampshire...some of these are safe to do because they're not enforced....other items on the list are still enforced.   
I will try to add some more of the safe unenforced ones... like putting water in a milk container or cleaning litter from the white mountains.

http://nhunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=1672.0

Anyone willing to harmlessly break a law at the May 25 event?

Dan

I may be repeating this observation, cause I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but:

Tuesday may be the next Home School field trip/protest day.  Which would be unbelievably awesome, cause at lunch time the state house lawn turns into lunch/recess.  What better time for a puppet show?

Dave Ridley

i've committed to doing it at around 2pm, late for the "recess"

but i could do an earlier performance in the apr 30 location, for the kids

ReverendRyan

Quote from: DadaOrwell on May 04, 2008, 10:51 PM NHFT
i've committed to doing it at around 2pm, late for the "recess"

but i could do an earlier performance in the apr 30 location, for the kids

I like that idea.

Also, everyone call the Concord Regional Crimeline at (603) 226-3100 during the event. The more reports they get, the harder it will be to ignore.