• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Portsmouth Rally!

Started by davemincin, July 12, 2005, 10:16 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

davemincin

Things went splendly.? Team leader Candy was super! :)? She even showed a little early, and
brought all the supplies.? About a dozen folks, including a couple new folks who? expressed
interest in our local group.?

Foster's and the Wire sent reporters, so expect we will get some press.? More on the
specifics later, time to call it a day! ;D

Pat K

SethCohn

Concord was quiet... except for the concert taking place.  ???

Dave Ridley

Turnout at the Arlington Mass protest was 5 and a reporter from the Arlington paper came by, interviewed JP and took our pics!

Great work making this go as far is it has JP!

YeahItsMeJP

Quote from: SethCohn on July 12, 2005, 10:45 PM NHFT
Concord was quiet... except for the concert taking place.? ???

That I find interesting. Fifteen different people have either called, emailed or posted to me about the lack of attendence in Concord... a fact I find very weird... sounds more like it was well attended but no one met up with each other.

JP

davemincin

Candy, Ken, and I showed from the local group, 5 folks who heard about it on the radio, and 4 just joined in from off the street. ;D
We only had 2 signs courtesy of Candy, but things really started rockin, when Candy, on the spost whipped together a sign that said,
"honk for property rights!" ?A considerable and varied number of folks stopped by, wondering what we were doing. ?When we told them they were very much about what we were doing. ?One older couple even suggested we do our next demonstration on Saturday when more people are in the square! ;D

The reporters stayed around for quiet awhile, and will be most interested in seeing what shows up in Foster's today. ?The Wire is a weekly online publication, but the reporter said be sure to watch for the article, so hoping it is positive. :)

Special thanks to Candy for running point! ;)

davemincin

Quote from: Jim C. Perry on July 13, 2005, 08:31 AM NHFT
Quote from: SethCohn on July 12, 2005, 10:45 PM NHFT
Concord was quiet... except for the concert taking place.? ???

That I find interesting. Fifteen different people have either called, emailed or posted to me about the lack of attendence in Concord... a fact I find very weird... sounds more like it was well attended but no one met up with each other.

JP

Just my thought JP, but perhaps if someone had been spearheading the event in Concord the results would have been better.  I know aside from the three of us, no one knew each other in Portsmouth.  Pretty hard for folks to get together if they don't know each other.  I know we made ourselves very visible in Portsmouth, so the folks would know were to go.  In addition no one brought signs other that Candy, so may have been difficult for the folks to recognize each other in Concord.

Russell Kanning

davemincin

Wednesday, July 13, 2005
Protesters rally at Market Square in Portsmouth to protect property rights

By MICHAEL GOOT
Portsmouth Bureau Chief
mgoot@fosters.com

PORTSMOUTH ? About a dozen protesters stood up to protect their private property rights in Market Square on Tuesday ? claiming a recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling granting government more authority to seize private property is a massive overreach of power and threatens people's liberties.

Held in response to the ruling allowing the government to purchase private property against the owner's will to boost economic development, protesters gathered for about two hours with several holding placards reading "Uncle Sam. Don't Touch My Home" and "Bad Government: That's Not My Property."

Protester Catherine Van Wyk of Portsmouth said she was "surprised and disappointed" by the Supreme Court decision, one she believes is unconstitutional.

"We're just fighting for the little people, the poor people who are going to get their property taken just because the government says they can," she said.

The court decision stems from a case in New London, Conn., where the city was seeking to redevelop a rundown waterfront area to have upscale houses, offices and a waterfront hotel.

Similar rallies were held simultaneously in Concord, Keene, and Nashua as well as Arlington, Lowell and Worcester in Massachusetts and New London, Conn. Van Wyk said the protests seek to get more publicity about the decision and "get people to know that government's got more power than they think it does."

Randall Uncapher of Eliot, Maine said this was his first-time participating in a protest but felt the issue important enough to attend after reading about it in newspapers. He does not think the government should be taking property for private ? rather than public ? use.

"It's a very slippery slope," he said. "I don't think the general public is as aware."

Uncapher said he believes a constitutional amendment would be the proper route to invalidate the court's decision. He believes a legislator in Congress has already introduced a bill to cut federal funding for projects using this new eminent domain power.

David Mincin of Dover said he thinks the ruling is just another example of government overreach. "We fought a revolution to a large degree over property rights," he said.

Mincin, who moved to the area last year as part of the Free State Project, said this decision basically says if people have enough money and it is in the public good, the government would allow them to take someone's property to build something like a hotel. "That's frightening," he said. "The government, through this ruling, is saying the public good is more important than the rights of the individual."

Tim Logsdon of Somersworth held the sign saying "Bad Government: That's Not Your Property." He said he heard about the rally on the Gardner Goldsmith radio show and decided to attend.

"I think it's garbage," he said of the ruling. "I think it's an overreach of government."

Democratic congressional candidate Gary Dodds also said he believed the ruling was "bad news" that private property could be taken for private economic development. "That's a sad day in America," he said.

Kat Kanning

davemincin

Thanks Kat!  How about the Blonde Babe! ;D

Russell Kanning

Quote from: davemincin on July 13, 2005, 01:57 PM NHFT
Thanks Kat!? How about the Blonde Babe! ;D
The only reason you get invited to parties....is because you bring along the seacoast fun bunch

davemincin

Quote from: russellkanning on July 13, 2005, 02:12 PM NHFT
Thanks Kat!? How about the Blonde Babe! ;D
The only reason you get invited to parties....is because you bring along the seacoast fun bunch

Thanks Russell! ;D  Expect if my ticket in is the Seacoast fun bunch...I best keep doing my best
to get them to the party! :)

Russell Kanning

I only go places because people like Kat ;D

Kat Kanning

Thanks Kat!  How about the Blonde Babe! ;D

The blonde babe is gettin pretty hot with her wiki editing too!   ;D  Love seeing other people put stuff up.