• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Copwatch

Started by FTL_Ian, April 06, 2008, 08:37 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

Zaphar has offered to organize Keene Copwatch.

To further this end, I have created a helpful subdomain:

http://copwatch.freekeene.com

Some ideas that were brainstormed today include:

• Cop watching on Main Street, late Saturday nights.
  • Reflective vests or press badges for cop watchers.
  • Setting up a scanner locked into the Keene police frequency, and streaming it online so people can listen from anywhere with Internet access.

TackleTheWorld

Yes indeed, Zaphar!  I have a scanner to donate.

d_goddard

I have no idea who Zaphar is, but I love him (or her) very much    ;D

If there's a call for donations, I will heed it.

dalebert

I actually get a fair number of referrals to Anarchy In Your Head from Copwatch.com. I know I've posted there once or twice, but I wonder if some others have posted toons there as well.

TackleTheWorld

Eleven at night, I presume.  Today or Saturday.  Can we get a calendar entry?

FTL_Ian

Quote from: zaphar on April 08, 2008, 12:34 AM NHFT
If someone could help out with making the "cop watcher" badges, I'd greatly appreciate it since my printing capabilities are somewhat limited.

I have badge holders and some extra lanyards.  Send me the badges and I will print them out for you.

FTL_Ian

I also have two handheld GMRS/FRS 2-ways that you are welcome to use for communications between CopWatchers.

Coconut

I also have a MiniDV camcorder (three actually) and a voice recorder for audio, and am very willing to help out when my schedule permits. Badges/IDs are a good idea, vests feel like a very situational thing to wear, and not for every instance of recording.

As I told some other people, I would love to use my CopWatch ID as my picture ID for getting into campus dorms that require guests to "check in" for some stupid reason.

Coconut

Quote from: FTL_Ian on April 08, 2008, 12:01 PM NHFT
I also have two handheld GMRS/FRS 2-ways that you are welcome to use for communications between CopWatchers.

Are these standard portable walkie-talkies? I also have a pair of those, and I think most all of them work on the same frequency. I like putting them on an earbud in my ear; makes me look official.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: FTL_Ian on April 08, 2008, 11:59 AM NHFT
Quote from: zaphar on April 08, 2008, 12:34 AM NHFT
If someone could help out with making the "cop watcher" badges, I'd greatly appreciate it since my printing capabilities are somewhat limited.

I have badge holders and some extra lanyards.  Send me the badges and I will print them out for you.

FYI:  Badges should be no larger than 6cm H x 9cm W.

Note, my badge holders are open at the top, therefore are not too effective in the rain.   :(

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Coconut on April 08, 2008, 12:03 PM NHFT
Are these standard portable walkie-talkies? I also have a pair of those, and I think most all of them work on the same frequency. I like putting them on an earbud in my ear; makes me look official.

They are GMRS/FRS. 

Coconut

Quote from: FTL_Ian on April 08, 2008, 12:14 PM NHFT

Note, my badge holders are open at the top, therefore are not too effective in the rain.   :(

Kat mentioned in another thread of those $2 laminating kits. It might be a good idea to pre-laminate your ID, then slip it into a holder. I'd just do it at work, since I laminate things as my day job. Anyone else wanting a simple gloss or matte laminate can ask me as well of course. I could take your ID and do it, or cut you a piece of laminate that you would fold over flat over your badge, and cut around with a razor or scissors.

Coconut

Quote from: FTL_Ian on April 08, 2008, 12:17 PM NHFT
Quote from: Coconut on April 08, 2008, 12:03 PM NHFT

They are GMRS/FRS. 

I have no idea what that means, but I googled it and it looks like the same thing I have.

David

If I remember I should be there.  On Bike.   :D

Coconut

Quote from: David on April 08, 2008, 02:24 PM NHFT
If I remember I should be there.  On Bike.   :D

are we confirmed that this is 11pm tonight? Or some other time?