• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Copwatch

Started by FTL_Ian, April 06, 2008, 08:37 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Coconut

I was over at Toby's house last night when I saw some lights out his window. We went outside with a camera. The passenger asked me what I was doing so I walked up a few feet from the vehicle to tell them about copwatch. That's when the backup officer yelled "Sir. Step back from the vehicle." After the incident was over, the primary officer told me that I shouldn't approach a vehicle that's been pulled over for my own protection because "For all I know they just robbed a bank." I made the obvious statement that "well then that could be anyone on the street." "That's right. Just assume the worst and you'll be safe."

I also clarified what he meant my "approach." Apparently he is fine with me yelling from a distance about what I'm doing, but stepping too close is unsafe. Whatever. I need to get in the habit of asking these officer's names any time they talk to me.

error

Clearly this cop thinks you should avoid all people and become a hermit, because anyone could be a dangerous criminal, and you should assume that they all are.

Apparently this is how a lot of cops see the general public: everyone is a criminal they just haven't caught yet.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Coconut on June 29, 2008, 10:41 AM NHFT
After the incident was over, the primary officer told me that I shouldn't approach a vehicle that's been pulled over for my own protection because "For all I know they just robbed a bank."

It's only because if you get hurt, the cop is responsible—because he caused the stop. I think highline posted about this earlier; it's called a "State-created danger" situation, and it's the only time a cop is actually legally liable for failing to protect someone.

Coconut

Anybody want to go out tonight in about 4-5 hours? (10 or 11) I know it's short notice but my night just freed up and I have nothing else to do. If you've never been, expect:

1. no action
2. people (drunk and not) yelling at you (friendly and not)
3. Police grumbling about you while you stand and watch them; saying such things as "They have nothing better to do with their lives."

I go on a bike for better coverage and for something to do. My first priority when going out at night is to enjoy my bike ride. The second is to watch for police encounters.

Edit 10:15 pm: I'll have my phone on if you want to try and catch up with me. I probably won't stay out too late if it's just me, but time tends to escape me. I will also have a set of low-range 2-way-radios for splitting up. 603-313-4421

Coconut

Well after we left Ian and Julia, David and I ran into Maxfield arresting a DWI. After that came an extended conversation.

Kat Kanning

We saw a cop pull a u-turn on Maple Ave where there wasn't enough room so he almost hit a tree in his excitement to pull over some poor schlep for nothing.

David

Right after Coconut and I talked to Lt. Maxfield, He went south, and two cop cars a ways behind him did a u turn on main.  Possibly where U turn Dave got ticketed for. 

Kat Kanning

Well, it's OK for the elite.

Shane Maxfield

Quote from: David on July 13, 2008, 09:40 PM NHFT
Right after Coconut and I talked to Lt. Maxfield, He went south, and two cop cars a ways behind him did a u turn on main.  Possibly where U turn Dave got ticketed for. 

Two fights and a prowler in fairly rapid succession after this, according to the log.

FTL_Ian

Shane Maxfield

Quote from: FTL_Ian on July 20, 2008, 11:14 PM NHFT
Hey Maxfield, did you see this?

Sure did, I was on the same email that you got.  I sent back a couple of corrections to the transcript, not sure if they were applied or not.

I had asked Sam if there were any "right" answers the judge could have given, didn't get an answer but maybe I missed it.  I thought the judge could've helped the situation by at least trying to give some answers.

K. Darien Freeheart

Quote from: 'Shane Maxfield'I thought the judge could've helped the situation by at least trying to give some answers.

I dunno if asking this is opening a can of worms but... You've said how you things could have been better, but what would you consider is "worse"? Seriously, the ONLY positive I take out of that entire thing is that Sam wasn't the victim of direct violence. How could that situation have gotten worse in your opinion?

SamIam

Hey Shane,

I was wondering what happened. I didn't get an email back. I just searched through everything and couldn't find anything under Shane or Maxfield as the sender. Did it come from your work address? I do appreciate your reply, and if you can send it again, I would be interested in reading.

To answer your question. Yes there were right answers under your laws. I think James and Raymond (the judges) knew that providing those answers meant they would have to dismiss my case, and being right is too important. To be fair, James did answer some questions, but basically gave the same response when it came time to answer the big ones that contradict the earlier obvious questions like: "Am I entitled to a fair and meaningful trial free of conflicts of interest?" and "Am I entitled to responsive answers to my questions?"  I had submitted the tougher questions to the court in the film, so he knew right were I was going, and was determined shut me up with threats, intimidation, and forced proceedings.

Now, had I broken into someone's car, then the questions could also have a right answer that would end in the state continuing the complaint against me:

Yes, Sam, the car belonging to ____ was parked on ________ at ____ time. You were seen by ____ using a screwdriver to break the window, you were then observed you taking ____ from the vehicle belonging to _____. The property was later found ____. The screwdriver found at the scene had your fingerprints on it, and your blood matches blood found at the scene, and is consistent with the cut on your arm.

That's a case with a Corpus Delecti, and the complainant could lay out the facts connecting me as the cause of the loss. That would still leave the conflict of interest inherent in the process, and I asked to move the dispute to 3rd party arbitration, which was ignored in one case and denied in the other two.

Kevin - There's lots more you haven't seen. I was attacked 3 times in the last 2 weeks doing this. I'm working on the footage, and figuring out how to present it. One guy tried to rip the camera from my hand, I was pushed one time, and my movements blocked with a gentle push another time. Not a big deal compared to some cops beating people with handcuffs for refusing to come over granted, but I was within my rights in each case.

The thing I find most intriguing is when they called the 4 police out at the second pretrial. They sent the new guy away, as he was actually communicating and making progress with me. Then the supervisor (sergeant I think) showing up the next day as the bailiff. . . I think he was looking to crack some heads. His initial comments to me were filled with anger and tension.

Of course I brought front and center the fact that everything he told himself about protecting and serving, upholding the constitution, bill of rights, the rule of law, etc. was nothing more than lip service , and when it came down to it, he folded like a cheap suit to uphold his own power, authority, and career in the department. I think he wanted revenge because I showed that to him. I saw his cheek twitch which is a micro facial expression for rage. I commend him for not acting on it, beating the crap out of me, and I think the camera, location, and off-site recording via cellphone protected me.

There's a 50th anniversary celebration for the city's police department coming up, and I'm thinking about attending with my camera. I could probably get some great undercover footage, by simply interviewing them. :)  I'm also planning to go Monday to play the video to the city council. I want to know that I have tried everything, given them every opportunity. . .

SamIam

K. Darien Freeheart

Quote from: 'SamIAm'There's lots more you haven't seen. I was attacked 3 times in the last 2 weeks doing this. I'm working on the footage, and figuring out how to present it.

I know that a simple push is a bit too far, especially when they demand you presence in a place. That said, if all the police and government goons could do was give people a hearty shove you'd see a LOT more people resisting them. When I say "direct violence" I do mean "cracking heads" as you put it. I would also consider wrestling you to the ground, slapping cuffs on your and then physically dragging your off to the cage to be "violence". None of that happened as far as I can tell. I commend you for keeping your cool, honestly, and I really do appreciate your persistance (and shall I say, your plethora of balls for doing that alone).

I get the impression that Shane accepts there was somethign wrong with what happened, but for him I don't think it's as monumental as it is for me, and I'm curious what more could have happened, if anything at all, that would make him see the court as a sham. The judge and his bodyguards ignored several constitutions, which are the highest laws in the land. If those laws mean nothing, what action of the court could possibly have happened to expose the others as "waivable" too? I really want to make sure my question doesn't appear combative because it's one that really does matter to me. I've got a lot of friends that, when presented with police state and liberty violations and such simply stare in stunned silence when they are asked "What more would it take to show you this is wrong".

SamIam

Agreed Kevin.

I think the smart thing for them to have done would be to simply let me walk into the court room with the camera, and then arrest me for breaking the law. Of course, that would require a law to exist, and my guess is it doesn't; so they have to resort to these tactics.

Your comment about your friends; That's exactly what I'm considering doing with the footage. Short clips that open with me saying something like, What would it take for you to change your belief in government? Police who don't know if they swore an oath to the Constitution? The very bedrock of their authority. . . Roll the footage.

Lost of these that point back to the Court of Public Relations, could be very effective. I'll fold the complete footage into the feature length film down the road.