• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

"you poison the well for the rest of us"

Started by FTL_Ian, April 07, 2008, 09:47 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

Seth said this of me in another thread.  Does this mean I can join the exclusive "ruining it for the rest" club of Kat, Russell, and Lauren?  Did I leave anyone out?  Who else has been so anointed by Seth?

Caleb

I think he insinuated me.  :D

QuoteThe worst 'ruining it' example no longer lives in NH, and he was a flake no matter which side of the fence (political or non) he was on...  Oh, and you aren't here either, Caleb. (big huge grin)

FTL_Ian

Ahh yes, Caleb too.  Can I join the club?

SethCohn

Quote from: FTL_Ian on April 07, 2008, 09:47 PM NHFT
Seth said this of me in another thread.  Does this mean I can join the exclusive "ruining it for the rest" club of Kat, Russell, and Lauren?  Did I leave anyone out?  Who else has been so anointed by Seth?

Good question.  A veritable who's who of FSPers.  Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind and opinion any given time, depending on one's actions or lack thereof.

SethCohn

Quote from: Caleb on April 07, 2008, 09:50 PM NHFT
I think he insinuated me.  :D

QuoteThe worst 'ruining it' example no longer lives in NH, and he was a flake no matter which side of the fence (political or non) he was on...  Oh, and you aren't here either, Caleb. (big huge grin)

Actually, I meant a certain J. P.

Caleb

Damn. OUt of the club. It was a nice two minutes while it lasted.

JP's gone?

FTL_Ian

As far as I can tell once you're in the club, Seth's opinions no longer affect membership, as he himself is not a member.

If a club member acknowledges my claim, I will be in.

Caleb

Well, I was informed that my nomination had been in error.  :'(  So I can't ratify you. Russell's in prison. I would suggest messaging J.P., Lauren, or Kat and asking for a ratification.

Are you sure you can handle this responsibility?

Caleb

I think you're in, Ian.

Seth's nomination is not subject to ratification. The others only achieved their prestigious position thanks to his nomination. They cannot override his judgment on who is in the club. He is the Seth Lord.  >:D

Caleb

what about el presidente? Isn't he in the club?

Jim Johnson

Mark ruined it for the rest of us.  I don't remember why, but he did.

Does Seth have a list of requirements?  Because I don't think I want to be part of us anymore.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: FTL_Ian on April 07, 2008, 09:47 PM NHFT

A few days ago, Seth was bitching at Powerchuter, MaineShark, and I on the FSP forum for being too extreme about our support of the NAP. Meh. Everyone around here seems to have a bug up their ass lately. Let it pass...

ReverendRyan

Here's how I see it:

There are some problems which will be solved more quickly by political activism, some by market activism, and some by civil disobedience.

Notice I didn't say "more ethically" or "more easily", I said "more quickly". I'm interested in restoring rights to my neighbors quickly, regardless of whether I have to do it inside or outside of the system. I think if we're looking at expediency here, most people will agree the above statement is at the very least plausible.

Given that, we have no sure way of knowing which method will achieve our desired results most quickly on any one issue. Yes, civil disobedience is always the most ethical route, but it can be slow going. I'd rather break someone's legs if thats what it takes to pull him out of the burning vehicle, for lack of a better metaphor. I want as much freedom for my friends as possible now, even if it pushes the "perfect society" back another century. Suffering is not a virtue.

So the best method possible is to attack social and governmental problems economically, governmentally, and disobediently all in tandem. Sure, one "camp" may slow the progress of another at some time, but as long as it's being attacked from every angle, we know we can defeat it more quickly than every "camp" taking turns, or one shunning the services of another out of a moral quandary or fear of being labeled an extremist.

When the Widget Licensure Board flexes its muscle, I want to see activists in the state house speaking against it and I want to see black market widget sales going on right next to them. That way, no matter who wins the battle, we all win the war.

Any questions?

SethCohn

Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on April 07, 2008, 11:37 PM NHFT
Mark ruined it for the rest of us.  I don't remember why, but he did.

Actually, I wasn't part of the "Mark hid his past, he shouldn't be MC, pat of FSP, etc" crowd.

IMHO, Mark is a good antidote for Ian's "poisoning of the well" on FTL.  Mark is the voice of reason in most cases when Ian goes into rant mode.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: ReverendRyan on April 08, 2008, 02:14 AM NHFT
Here's how I see it:

There are some problems which will be solved more quickly by political activism, some by market activism, and some by civil disobedience.

Notice I didn't say "more ethically" or "more easily", I said "more quickly". I'm interested in restoring rights to my neighbors quickly, regardless of whether I have to do it inside or outside of the system. I think if we're looking at expediency here, most people will agree the above statement is at the very least plausible.

Given that, we have no sure way of knowing which method will achieve our desired results most quickly on any one issue. Yes, civil disobedience is always the most ethical route, but it can be slow going. I'd rather break someone's legs if thats what it takes to pull him out of the burning vehicle, for lack of a better metaphor. I want as much freedom for my friends as possible now, even if it pushes the "perfect society" back another century. Suffering is not a virtue.

So the best method possible is to attack social and governmental problems economically, governmentally, and disobediently all in tandem. Sure, one "camp" may slow the progress of another at some time, but as long as it's being attacked from every angle, we know we can defeat it more quickly than every "camp" taking turns, or one shunning the services of another out of a moral quandary or fear of being labeled an extremist.

When the Widget Licensure Board flexes its muscle, I want to see activists in the state house speaking against it and I want to see black market widget sales going on right next to them. That way, no matter who wins the battle, we all win the war.

Any questions?

Not me!  I agree