• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Validating a Private ID

Started by Coconut, April 11, 2008, 04:18 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Coconut

If anyone hasn't seen on other threads, I'm interested in printing my own ID / press pass / copwatch badge with my picture, name, birthdate etc to try and use as ID in private situations to see how it gets by. However, of course anyone could claim that I could have put any name on the card. Anyone have an idea of how to "validate" an NHFree.com ID badge? One signature from someone like Kat or Ian who owns the site? Or perhaps up to 10 signatures of various posters confirming that I am who I say I am? Thanks for any ideas.

Puke

Coconut

Nice. I knew you'd made one but I didn't know where it was. I would have the back read something like "This identification is privately certified by NHFree.com" and lines where hopefully people would be willing to sign their names saying I am who my card says. I'd also stick a barcode on the bottom, in case anyone needs my ID number. Of course it wouldn't mean anything.

Anyway, are you still offering to design these, and do you have a standard rate?

Puke

I didn't charge Russell or David for the initial design. If you want to make changes to it I'd appreciate a couple bucks for the effort.

I also don't print them out. I figure whoever wants one can find a pro-printer that suits them easier then I could.
Ideally I'd want a real ID printer machine. Those are expensive though.

Puke

It makes sense though. Like references on a job application.
Contacting other people to ensure your identity would take much longer though.

Coconut

Quote from: Puke on April 11, 2008, 09:15 PM NHFT
It makes sense though. Like references on a job application.
Contacting other people to ensure your identity would take much longer though.

I know... and I wouldn't think people will want to be leaving their phone numbers. Asking people for signatures feels invasive enough. Ideally there would be some sort of call-in service with separate people on call with access to a central document that holds each person's information and ID number. That would be a future project though, when you have 1000 IDs out there, not 10. Maybe for now I would try and just get bloggers of FreeKeene.com to sign, and make it a FreeKeene ID rather than NHFree. The FreeKeene bloggers would be more readily accessible than someone coming to the forum looking for people.

I wouldn't be asking for a redesign; I could handle the reverse side by myself. Just putting my name in, and adding a picture would be great. I like how David's has a nice spot for a signature. Can I PM you sometime this weekend with information, a picture, and any minor changes, and you can let me know what you want for it? The slight changes might just take 3 minutes though, I don't know.

I ramble too much.

kola

Puke

Quote from: Coconut on April 11, 2008, 09:34 PM NHFT
Can I PM you sometime this weekend with information, a picture, and any minor changes, and you can let me know what you want for it?

Sure.

David

I've thought about this a couple of times, but could never figure it out. 
How did people establish their identity before social security?  I wasn't as common, but people have always boughten land and business' that presumably would require establishing identity.  Credit, it would seem would always need to establish identity. 

Caleb

Then again, usually dad and mom know who you are.  :)

Ron Helwig

If all you want is a badge to look like you have some "authoritay", just go ahead and print your own.

Every time this comes up, I have an incredibly hard time finding this article: (Found one copy at http://billstclair.com/DoingFreedom/gen/0304/nonid0304.html )
Quote from: Sunni Maravillosa
ID After the Revolution

Sit back, clear your mind, and imagine the following for a few minutes ...

After years of intensive education, aided by both the homeschooling/unschooling movement and the increasing ineptitude of both federal and local government, freedom has finally come to your town. There are no officious state bureaucrats, no busybodies, no restraints on trade or activities between consenting adults. All adults who live here have chosen to do so, and have signed the minimal Charter that outlines the self-governance expectations for its inhabitants, procedures for arbitration of disputes, and consequences for breaking the Charter.

The result is a wonderfully prosperous, mildly chaotic, free environment where individuals transact their own business as they see fit, and with rare exceptions handle problems with others peaceably and between themselves. Businesses of all sorts -- except the kinds that flourished under the coercive grip of the state -- are thriving. Among the most successful -- and competitive -- businesses are those that deal with the identification needs of the sovereign individuals who live here, in the town now known as Anarchopolis.

Wait a minute -- what was that? There's no state, but there's still ID? Do free individuals really need to have some means of identification? Why? And what for?

The article continues and explains the different uses and misuses of ID, including authentication, certification, and authorization. A highly suggested read, especially for those just getting interested in this stuff.

If you are serious about trying to start doing this stuff for real, make sure that you have read everything that Bruce Schneier has ever written. That will give you a good starting base to work from.

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: David on April 12, 2008, 08:49 PM NHFT
I've thought about this a couple of times, but could never figure it out. 
How did people establish their identity before social security?  I wasn't as common, but people have always boughten land and business' that presumably would require establishing identity.  Credit, it would seem would always need to establish identity. 

Prior to the modern system (social security just a part), most credit came from very local sources, with what we would consider high rates of capitalization or collateral. So your 'credit worthiness' was well known, and a failure to repay would mean a personal financial loss.

kola