• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

some odd ones to try

Started by smeg, April 12, 2008, 03:26 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

smeg

so, here are a few new hampshire laws i think are in need of breaking:

You may not tap your feet, nod your head, or in any way keep time to the music in a tavern, restaurant, or cafe.

You cannot sell the clothes you are wearing to pay off a gambling debt.

It is considered an offense to check into a hotel under an assumed name.

It is illegal to pick seaweed up off of the beach.

Any cattle that crosses state roads must be fitted with a device to gather its feces.

You may not run machinery on Sundays.

On Sundays citizens may not relieve themselves while looking up.

smeg

starting tomorrow... everyone look up and pee for freedom!

*note* please clean up any mess you make as a result of this triumph for liberty.

Puke

Evidence that once a law is on the books it is near impossible to remove.
Laws should have to be renewed every year or something.
Better yet, get rid of all the stupid morality laws.

dalebert

I believe there's still a law on GA books that you can't beat your wife with anything thicker than a broom handle.

I highly discourage anyone to break that law as an act of civil disobedience.  :o

J’raxis 270145

Many of those are examples of archaic "blue laws" (originating from the early Puritan theocracy) that are completely unenforced nowadays, much like the adultery law. We also used to have a Sunday dancing law, which Dreepa got his rep to repeal a couple years ago.

The seaweed one sounds like some environmental-protection nonsense and they probably do still enforce it. (Did you know that under the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act, it's illegal to displace or kill migratory birds on your property?—this includes chickadees and crows.) The cattle one is probably similar, or some highway safety law.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: dalebert on April 12, 2008, 05:04 PM NHFT
I believe there's still a law on GA books that you can't beat your wife with anything thicker than a broom handle.

I highly discourage anyone to break that law as an act of civil disobedience.  :o

Find a couple into S&M to do it...

(Unless Georgia has a general consent exception to their assault laws—some States do nowadays, but a lot still don't.)

ReverendRyan

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on April 12, 2008, 05:37 PM NHFT
The seaweed one sounds like some environmental-protection nonsense and they probably do still enforce it. (Did you know that under the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act, it's illegal to displace or kill migratory birds on your property?—this includes chickadees and crows.) The cattle one is probably similar, or some highway safety law.

Nope, it's about unions. It falls under maintaining the parks without a permit.

Dave Ridley

is maintaining parks in the white mts national forest illegal under state law or federal?

ReverendRyan

Quote from: DadaOrwell on April 12, 2008, 06:25 PM NHFT
is maintaining parks in the white mts national forest illegal under state law or federal?

Both. The feds have their law about national parks, and the NH law specifically applies to both state and federal parks.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on April 12, 2008, 05:40 PM NHFT
Quote from: dalebert on April 12, 2008, 05:04 PM NHFT

Find a couple into S&M to do it...

(Unless Georgia has a general consent exception to their assault laws—some States do nowadays, but a lot still don't.)

:biglaugh:  Good point! 

Raineyrocks

Quote from: ReverendRyan on April 12, 2008, 06:39 PM NHFT
Quote from: DadaOrwell on April 12, 2008, 06:25 PM NHFT

Both. The feds have their law about national parks, and the NH law specifically applies to both state and federal parks.

Oh great!  I can't pick up trash on the ground in the White Mountains anymore?  There goes the highlight of my life!

Raineyrocks

Quote from: smeg on April 12, 2008, 03:26 PM NHFT
so, here are a few new hampshire laws i think are in need of breaking:

You may not tap your feet, nod your head, or in any way keep time to the music in a tavern, restaurant, or cafe.

You cannot sell the clothes you are wearing to pay off a gambling debt.

It is considered an offense to check into a hotel under an assumed name.

It is illegal to pick seaweed up off of the beach.

Any cattle that crosses state roads must be fitted with a device to gather its feces.

You may not run machinery on Sundays.

On Sundays citizens may not relieve themselves while looking up.

This week I will start dancing at Applebees, selling my socks to pay off a gambling debts I've run up with betting with the kids on stuff, become Rainey Smith at a motel, damn it I'll pick up seaweed at a beach, I will take my cow's diapers off and cross the road with them, finally on Sundays I will go out to my husband's shed and saw something in half! Oh right, 1 more, I will look at my darn ceiling while taking a whiz and I will do this at least 5 times on Sunday! ;D

K. Darien Freeheart

Open Carry Seaweed Pickup...

John Edward Mercier

My understanding per NHParks is the maintenance thing is a liability. Non-profits with a memorandum of understanding/agreement are exempt. Also certain things like cleaning up down trees in the WMNF is under an exemption.

Clothes for Gambling Debt (Strip Poker), Alias Hotel Registration (Adultery), tapping our feet to music and all the Sunday Stuff... is as Jeremy stated a hold over of our Puritan past.
The cattle crossing state roads is an decisive argument between groups.

sandm000

What are the RSA #'s for those laws?

I'd like to have the full text of the law, so I can mock it further.