• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Copwatch Business Cards

Started by FTL_Ian, April 17, 2008, 10:50 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

What should they have on them?

http://copwatch.freekeene.com

Maybe quick tips on dealing with cops?

In car:  If they ask to search, Just say, "I do not consent."
At home:  Don't even answer the door.
On foot:  You have no obligation to answer their questions.

Ideas?  Suggestions?

Coconut

I hadn't even thought of little tips. I figured we'd just have contact info to let people know who we are. It's a good idea though.

Maybe something short: "If they ask to search, they don't have the right. Do not consent." "If you're not driving, you are not required to show ID."

edit: I guess those are actually longer than yours, they're just general tips as opposed to location specific.

Puke

Can't think of any at the moment.
Could this be considered legal advice? Wouldn't want to get sued by anyone.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Puke on April 17, 2008, 02:41 PM NHFT
Can't think of any at the moment.
Could this be considered legal advice? Wouldn't want to get sued by anyone.

Perhaps they should be called "suggestions".

kola

"am i being detained"

"am i free to go"

always say no to a search, no matter what.

Say as little as possible and only talk to tell them to let them now you do not consent and when asking about" being detained" and "free to go". Say no more.

kola

Coconut

Quote from: zaphar on April 17, 2008, 10:36 PM NHFT
What's the law regarding showing "IDs", I had an incident once when a cop asked to see my ID and I gave it to him because I wasn't sure if I'd get arrested if I didn't. I asked him if I was legally obligated to do so, but there was no point in doing so since asking cops questions is pointless, since they can lie if they want to without fearing consequences.

Though I cannot give legal advice, as far as I know, if there's no legal reason for you to have an ID on you, such as you're driving, (or maybe sitting in the driver's seat of the car) you can say "I do not have any ID to show you." What can they do if you're not required to have ID on you, and you say you don't? What was the incident with you? The last time I was asked, I was parked in a parking lot, and he ran my license.

Puke

if you get two sided cards you can jab plenty of info on there.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: zaphar on April 17, 2008, 11:29 PM NHFT
- PORC 411 #

That is intended to alert statewide activists.  It would make more sense to have a local number like Keene 311 or Keene 711...

David

I would advise against Porcupine 411.  That was set up as an activist number.  Most people, even when their loved ones are arrested by the police, are not activists. 
I believe the gov't law is to give your name and address, but not the ID.  When driving it is different, but not when you are walking down the street. 

doobie

Script:

LEO: May I search your car?
You: Am I under arrest?
LEO: No
You: Do you have a search warrant?
LEO: No
You: Do I need to call my lawyer?
LEO: Nevermind, have a nice day.

Not that you can really script it.  Always be nicer than the cop, but know your rights and don't let them intimidate you.

Of course my question is...if a LEO wants to search your car and you refuse, can he 'detain' your car and have a k9 walk around it before he lets your car leave?  If that happened to you what would you do?  I ask because it happened to me.  I let him take the k9 around the car because I heard the dog in the car and thought it would be quick (until I was out of the car and was told he needed to wait for back up).

Coconut

It's pretty stupid if they are allowed to tell you to wait. They are detaining you without reasonable suspicion besides refusing a search.

Tom Sawyer

Courts have ruled that it is "reasonable" to keep you on the side of the road for 20 minutes waiting for the K9 unit to come sniff your car.

kola

Don't they need probable or reasonable cause?

I do not think they can just call in the dogs because you dont have ID or refuse to answer their questions. I think they need to have seen a pipe or a baggie or something along those lines. I think there is a lot of grey area when it comes to searches. I smoke a corncob pipe and almost always have one in my ashtray and almost always have a baggy of tobacco in the car.

Thats why it is good to only lower your window a crack to talk with a cop and if they ask you to get out, take the keys and lock your doors on the way out. Leaving your window open lets them stick their head in and small around and look around. Leaving your car door open is consenting and allows the cop to get inside and look even further. (and BTW the perfect opportunity for the cop to plant a baggy of dope in your car and set your ass up).

I have heard of incidents where cops can get the dog to act as if its found drugs when it really hasn't. And there are times when a dog is totally incorrect and signals there is dope and there is none.

Kola

Tom Sawyer

No they don't have to have probable cause, they should, but the courts have ruled other wise.

Quote...dog sniffs are all constitutional. The 4th amendment requires a warrant to be issued in order for an officer to conduct a search, unless the officer has probable cause. A positive dog reaction creates probable cause (according to the law), while sensory enchance equipment (wire taps, thermal imagers, hearing devics etc.) are deemed "searches" in themselves and require a warrant before they are conducted.

Couldn't find a better citation.

I agree that dogs are wrong and often are just an exuse to search. We had drug dogs used on us in the military.

kola

good info, tom, thanks.

i think it is clear that driving a car is probally the highest risk for having to deal with the goons.

and for almost all of us it is a way of life. we need to drive.

i am making plans and hope soon to be limiting my driving down to very little traveltime.

IMO, the new-age cops are no longer our friends (maybe they never were and I was too blind to see) but they should be avoided at all cost.

kola