• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Moving to NH

Started by Dylboz, April 24, 2008, 06:09 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylboz

I am looking to be in the Keene area, or failing that, the Grafton/Dartmouth area, but really, I just wanna get there! So, I'll work anywhere where I can find gainful employment and be reasonably close to Free Stater stuff, like Murphy's and such. I have an extensive background in printing and graphics, as a designer, a pre-press technician, production manager for a copy center and a full fledged press house, and I also design web pages and animated media, including interactive Flash stuff, for which I've won awards. I'm building up a web page for self promotion, so I could send out a link when I get that done, but where should I start looking? Do you guys know of any companies, especially daily or weekly newspapers or monthly magazines, or even free advertising driven publications, like auto or rental property tabloids, that might be employing? I'm not in hurry, so my timeframe is actually long term, so I guess a "Help Wanted" sign wouldn't be of much use, since I couldn't fill the position right away. I guess what I'm looking for is a way to start making contacts and getting a feel for the industry in the area. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it, because so far I have had little luck searching the traditional way, via classifieds and Google. Thanks!

PS - Many of you know me from the FTL boards and other spots on the intertron, but for those who don't, allow me to introduce myself. I'm a long time libertarian, form big "L" type, who identifies as a market anarchist and voluntarist, I'm a recently divorced guy and a newly minted porcupine (I just signed the statement of intent). I call myself Dylboz everywhere I go online, no exception here. I live in AZ and I'm in my early 30's. I have a bunch of dogs and I work in marketing for the 2 major daily newspapers here. I've recently gotten back into shooting sports, and I'm looking for a good rifle to add to my arsenal, which currently amounts to one pistol :P so firearm recommendations and advice are always accepted. Also, I'm planning on starting a home brew operation to avoid taxes on my mighty thirst for the brew, so again, advice and recommendations encouraged!

Cheers!

K. Darien Freeheart

I'm actually a bit... Astonished.

My wife is a prepress technician and I brew. We're both planning on moving out to Keene.

So... You're our competition, eh? :P

Dylboz

We free-marketeers aren't afraid of a little competition, are we?  ;)

I'd imagine that the homebrew community would be huge amongst Free Staters, given the self-sufficiency ethic so common with libertarians, plus the bonus of tax avoidance. We can trade recipes, eh?

FTL_Ian

There's already a free stater home brew in the Keene area, "Golden Goat Scrote".  Sounds like we'll have a whole range of choices soon!

8)

FYI, Dylboz, "Murphy's" is in Manch.  Here in Keene our chosen bar-hangout is "Vendetta".

J’raxis 270145

kola

NH=free state=free beer

Now this could get some people moving!!

Dylboz

Barterer

Hey Dylboz, great to see you here!  I'm also a brewer, shooter, and fellow monkey as you can see.  I don't pretend to be any sort of firearms expert (cough*KBCraig*cough) but have been making beer for several years and have recently branched into winemaking.  Looking forward to conversing with you about that, and maybe in return you can school me on some finer philosophical points.  ;)   

And one of these great years, I'm hoping to "make the move" so maybe will see you there. 

Dylboz

My wine and beer making heritage goes way, way back. When I was a kid, I lived in Libya and Saudi Arabia, and my dad brewed beer and made wine under the threat of death! The even had pot stills in the bathtub that produced this stuff they called "sadiki." Oh man! They made it by pouring a lot of sugar and water into a 50 gallon plastic garbage can. Drop in a lot of yeast, wait a few weeks, check the gravity and adjust, then pour off for distillation. Unfortunately, it was all pretty nasty and rough. On the other hand, my step dad made some really good stuff in very small batches, including framboise, mead and cider. I aspire to make some QUALITY stuff in big batches. Excellent ingredients and superior flavor, in sufficient volume to satiate the most parched of throats. That's the goal. Cheers!

Mike Barskey

Welcome to NH, Dyl! Oh, wait. I don't live in NH. Well, good to hear you're making the move (sometime). I'll look you up when I get there.

KBCraig

Quote from: Kevin Dean on April 24, 2008, 06:21 PM NHFT
I'm actually a bit... Astonished.

My wife is a prepress technician and I brew. We're both planning on moving out to Keene.

So... You're our competition, eh? :P

Or potential business partner!

Quote from: Barterer on April 24, 2008, 11:07 PM NHFT
I don't pretend to be any sort of firearms expert (cough*KBCraig*cough)

Hey, don't hold me out as an expert! I am mostly a retainer and regurgitator of opinions much more learned than my own, with which I have come to agree. Or, at least trust.

Barterer

Quote from: Dylboz on April 24, 2008, 11:28 PM NHFT
My wine and beer making heritage goes way, way back. When I was a kid, I lived in Libya and Saudi Arabia, and my dad brewed beer and made wine under the threat of death!
Heh heh.  Those Saudis are probably on to that trick by now.  My father in law used that exact same trashcan-fermenter technique to make beer when he was there.  And the still for hard liquor.. he'd joke about how he made his booze out of sugar subsidized by the Saudi government.  ;D

I don't distill alcohol, out of grave respect for the BATF of course, but have toyed with the idea of making denatured ethanol as a substitute for methanol as a biodiesel ingredient.. yeah, that and 50 other dreamy projects I'll never get around to.

Quote from: KBCraig on April 25, 2008, 12:02 AM NHFT
Hey, don't hold me out as an expert! I am mostly a retainer and regurgitator of opinions much more learned than my own, with which I have come to agree. Or, at least trust.
Oh don't be modest, KBCraig. You know you da man to ask.
FTL forum ... John Shaw
nhunderground forum ... KBCraig
If yall got together you could build an atomic bomb.

Friday

Quote from: Dylboz on April 24, 2008, 11:28 PM NHFT
My wine and beer making heritage goes way, way back. When I was a kid, I lived in Libya and Saudi Arabia, and my dad brewed beer and made wine under the threat of death! The even had pot stills in the bathtub that produced this stuff they called "sadiki." Oh man!
Hey, me too!

K. Darien Freeheart

Quote from: 'Dylboz'We free-marketeers aren't afraid of a little competition, are we?

Absolutely not. I think fear of competition is one of those things that is relegated to the "mystical" world of malevolent evil corporations. :) My background is in computers (specifically Linux), internet (hosting and programming). For hobbies I brew beer. Linux is one of the worlds foremost examples of how competition among many people creates a stronger market for everyone. As a webhost, there are clients you can take but there will always be clients you can't... Being able to recommend a competitior who will meet their needs creates a LOT of goodwill when you DO have what they need. Homebrewing also has a HUGE community around it. No fear of competition at all. :)

I'm in the process of planning the move. What we're going to do out there to sustain ourselves is kind of a catch 22 since my wife is a big fan of predictability and structure (she likes well defined job descriptions) and I'm a huge fan of the opposite. :) We're looking to start a business doing what we like to do in a way that meets both of our needs. It's as likely at this point that we'd be creating the kind of job you're looking for as it is that my wife would be contesting against you to get it. :)

The Shire can ALWAYS use more brewers, so that's not even a relevant thing. :) More brewers in one spot is an awesome thing, especially if they're all-grain brewers since truckloads of grain are MUCH cheaper than buying single sacks. I've got friends in Texas who manage to run it down to about $0.75 per pound...

Quote from: 'Dylboz'I'd imagine that the homebrew community would be huge amongst Free Staters, given the self-sufficiency ethic so common with libertarians, plus the bonus of tax avoidance.

I assumed the same thing, and thus far am surprised to find it's not the case. I think brewing is one of those things that a lot of people are simply not interested in, libertarian or not. I think the mix here is probably slightly LOWER than the "general population" though I'm not in NH so my view is probably off. Ian has noted, however, that there is an above average number of technology geeks.

Quote from: 'Dylboz'We can trade recipes, eh?

Absolutely! With the hops shortage my "best" have been hard to reproduce lately so I'm working to get them closer to where I'd like them.

Quote from: 'FTL_Ian'There's already a free stater home brew in the Keene area, "Golden Goat Scrote".

Newspeak Brewing Company will be there too. :) I hear you've been introduced to hefeweizen fairly recently... We'll have to offer samplings to get you interested in a wider range of beers. :)

Quote from: 'Barterer'I don't distill alcohol, out of grave respect for the BATF of course

I don't distill because I'm not interested in the fruits of the labor... BUT...

There are actually federal bills in the Senate right now regarding the legalization of home distilling for personal consumption (the bill would actually classify it as homebrewing) and it's possible it will pass. Home distilling is a bit more popular than personal marijuana use in the eyes of the law. All of the equipment you need can be purchased at a homebrew store with the exception of the stills themselves which can be purchased at a crafts store (you're making essence oils, of course!)

Quote from: 'Barterer'but have toyed with the idea of making denatured ethanol as a substitute for methanol as a biodiesel ingredient

I recall hearing that making your own fuel is actually pretty high on the list of things that the US Thuggery doesn't look too kindly upon, but I've not really looked.

Dylboz

So, two people here have lived in Saudi. I ran into a guy on the internets once who went to my same private elementary school at the same time (but we were different ages, so we didn't know each other). Dhahran Academy. It was the ultimate "small world" scenario. Where and when were you folks there? I'm really curious...