• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Mexican Food (Sonoran Hot Dogs)?

Started by Dylboz, April 24, 2008, 11:20 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

Quote from: Puke on April 25, 2008, 04:28 PM NHFT
There is a Taco Bell, what else is there.

I loves me my Taco Bell, but I like "real" Mexican food on occasion. :)

Dylboz

The notion that a Taco Bell empanada could remotely compare to the fresh baked empanadas I get here... LULZ!!! But I too love the Bell, for its own unique style, not better, just different, and good!

Anyway, yes, Puerto Rican food is wildly different than Mexican. Puerto Rico shares more in common with Cuba than Mexico. As for Mexican food, I love Sonoran style, mainly because that's where I live, but also it's focus is on beef, and I love beef. This is ranch land, you know? So they are the originators of such classics as Carne Asada, Machaca, Carne Seca, and Chile Colorado (aka Chile Rojo con Carne). And also the Baja style seafood is good too! I'm only a few hours from the sea of Cortez, where in Puerto Peñasco, they run shrimp boats, and so they have the best shrimp tacos and fresh fried squid (Mexican calamari) and the cevicé! Oh man!

My mom lives in Mexicali, the capital of Baja California. I love their food too, it's very similar to Sonoran, but it has more seafood, obviously, and they also have a lot of game dishes (it's one of the few states in Mexico where hunting is legal, and Americans can bring in their rifles, under certain circumstances and with permits, to do so) and goat recipes. This place across from the hotel my mom puts her client sup in sells this platter with goat, squab, chicken and beef, and all these sauces and cheeses and tortillas, and you just make your own tacos. Muy bueno! Also, they have this dish with goat and potato pieces and onion slics wrapped up in banana leaves with red chile sauce and spices that they burry in a pit and cook for hours under hot rocks, like a luau. So good! Last time I went scuba diving in San Carlos, they threw a fishing line off the back of the boat and I caught a small blue fin, and it wasn't 10 minutes after I reeled it in that the deck hand had turned it into these lime and chile spiced seared tuna tacos!

Also, my Mormon ancestors (yes, I'm another ex-Mormon atheist libertarian, we're a cliché by now) in Chihuahua makes these flat enchiladas with the queso quesedilla (a white, crumbly and salty cheese that melts up beautifully in to long strings like quality mozzarella does, but with a distinct flavor) that they're known for making in their colonies. These are a layered dish, like lasagna, or Taco Bell's Mexican Pizza, with corn tortillas between layers of cheese, enchilada sauce, green chiles, black olives, chicken and diced green onion. Delicioso! I'm making myself hungry!

Seriously folks, I'm thinking that if I start collecting all these recipes and practice making large batches or restaurant portions for plating, I could open an authentic Northern Mexico style (I don't like the Mexico City style nearly as much, very bland and European) place in NH when I get there. I know I am a very good cook, I love to entertain and I throw big parties for people where I cook this kind of stuff already, so I am not worried about the quality of the product, I'm worried about the business part of it. Would it fly? I realize now I would have practically no competition, but is that because there's no one who does it right up there yet, or because there's no market?

Puke

Quote from: Dylboz on April 25, 2008, 05:57 PM NHFT
Seriously folks, I'm thinking that if I start collecting all these recipes and practice making large batches or restaurant portions for plating, I could open an authentic Northern Mexico style (I don't like the Mexico City style nearly as much, very bland and European) place in NH when I get there. I know I am a very good cook, I love to entertain and I throw big parties for people where I cook this kind of stuff already, so I am not worried about the quality of the product, I'm worried about the business part of it. Would it fly? I realize now I would have practically no competition, but is that because there's no one who does it right up there yet, or because there's no market?

There you go. It seems you have an opportunity on your hands.

K. Darien Freeheart

Quote from: 'Dylboz'I too love the Bell, for its own unique style, not better, just different, and good!

Taco Bell and McDonald's share a similar place in the food realm. Most people say McDonald's burgers are nasty, but I love them. It's kinda like how I love Diet Pepsi... If you think of a McDonald's cheeseburger as "A Hamburger" you're going to be disgusted. It's not a burger. Doesn't come CLOSE to a juicy burger from the grill...

But if you think of it as an amorphous solid vaguely reminiscent of a burger, it's good. ONLY in comparison to "the real thing" is it bad. Eat a McBlob for a McBlob and it's pretty good.

Quote from: 'Dylboz'Seriously folks, I'm thinking that if I start collecting all these recipes and practice making large batches or restaurant portions for plating, I could open an authentic Northern Mexico style

Go for it! My favorite Mexican place drawns me for cheap beer. :) 32 ouncers for $1.50 blows me away and I totally don't care that I'm paying $16 for a burrito. :)

Tom Sawyer

Man all this talk of Mexican food has my mouth watering.   :D

dalebert

There was a thread on the FSP forums I believe where people pined about the lack of good Mexican food in NH.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: dalebert on April 25, 2008, 07:28 PM NHFT
There was a thread on the FSP forums I believe where people pined about the lack of good Mexican food in NH.

I haven't found any good Chinese food either. :-\  The last place I went was in Plymouth and the food & iced tea tasted and smelled so bad I didn't even eat it or bring it home for the dogs. :puke:

K. Darien Freeheart

Okay, I need to ask...

How's the Indian food in Keene? I love me some lamb korma!

Puke

Quote from: Kevin Dean on April 25, 2008, 07:53 PM NHFT
Okay, I need to ask...

How's the Indian food in Keene? I love me some lamb korma!

Not a chance.

K. Darien Freeheart

Quote from: 'Puke'Not a chance.

I had to ask. The best Indian place I've ever eated was at the corner of the earth I least expected. Aroma Palace at the border of Elizabethtown and Radcliff Kentucky was the best Indian food EVER, in the land of rednecks and hillbillies. Haven't found a place as good since. :(

Ethic food is the answer to all the immigration naysayers! How are we gonna eat good Chinese/Mexican/indian food without Chinese/Mexian/Indian people? Let them do business! (And let me eat well!)

Dylboz

Oh God! Wait! Sushi! Is there sushi? I was born in Japan, I grew up on miso and soba and tamago yaki and inari (my dad teaches ESL, so I moved to a new country every 2 or 3 years for a while).

And yeah, Indian food is awesome. I was trying to think of how to integrate my Mexican place into a Tiki Bar... I may be shooting too high, but I figure the most inviting place in NH on a snowy night would be a warm Tiki Bar, with a huge glowing Easter Island statue beckoning your liver to serve it's highest purpose for the evening. I'm totally fantasizing now, but it's fun... :P

kola

Dylboz, sounds like you have some great gifts to open a good  mexican restaurant.

remember to hire nice mexiano waitresses with nice round butts and big smiles.

you can't go wrong.

kola
----------------

well everyone was getting hungry and drooling and then rainey had to start puking..ruined it for me..lol

Puke

There are a couple of places to get sushi.
I don't think there is a dedicated sushi bar though.
Dosen't Mark have a blog about restaraunts in Keene?

Kat Kanning

Keene is a pretty small place.  There's a weenie thai restaurant, but not much that's 'exotic'.

David

Quote from: Puke on April 26, 2008, 06:30 AM NHFT
There are a couple of places to get sushi.
I don't think there is a dedicated sushi bar though.
Dosen't Mark have a blog about restaraunts in Keene?
The Keene Buffet has a small sushi buffet.  Sorry, I don't do raw fish, so I cannot give you a thumbs up or down.  Keene Buffet in general definitely gets a thumbs up in general.