• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Mexican Food (Sonoran Hot Dogs)?

Started by Dylboz, April 24, 2008, 11:20 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylboz

I just whipped up a batch of carnitas (Mexican pork, I do mine with a lot of cumin and chile) and I was thinking, "man! I'm gonna miss Mexican food in New Hampshire!" I wonder if there are any decent real Mexican places up there. I ask the ex-Texans, ex-New Mexicans and ex-Arizonans... is it awful? Are there enough illegals ;)  up there to have taco trucks or burrito joints? My guess is no... And the one thing that I'll really miss about the Sonora border is, the Mexican hot dog. This, for you New Englanders, is a hot dog wrapped in bacon and grilled, served in a Mexican sweet roll, with mayo, mustard, salsa, ranch style beans and chopped onions. Oh... My... God! Best ever! And, real carne asada, nothing at all like Taco Bell (which I like, but it's nothing like the real deal). I thought that perhaps there would be a market for it up there. I mean, I've always wanted a bar/restaurant, and maybe an authentic Mexican place with tropical cocktails and Margaritas would be welcome. What say thee?

ReverendRyan

No. There is no real Mexican food that I have found so far. It's driving me up the wall!

J’raxis 270145

How did I know who was going to be the first to reply to this...

Kat Kanning

Not really.  There is one place in Keene that's tolerable, La Carreta.  Boy, I've not had carnitas in a long time.

kola

i like mexicano food but prefer the women.  ;D

mammacitas, si.

kola

Kat Kanning

FTL_Ian

We found a place in Milford.  I don't know how authentic it was, but it was good.

I hear the place in Keene, La Carreta has real mexicans working at it!  I've yet to go as Julia is not a fan of the food.  Would love an excuse to try it.... mmm.

dalebert

Quote from: Dylboz on April 24, 2008, 11:20 PM NHFTI mean, I've always wanted a bar/restaurant, and maybe an authentic Mexican place with tropical cocktails and Margaritas would be welcome. What say thee?

Mexican is one of my favorite things to go out for. I think it might be my #1 restaurant choice over all. I also thing there is plenty of room in the market for one here. We have a few but we need more and better choices. Armadillo's Burritos in Keene has two strikes for me so far out of two visits, despite being a really popular place for some reason.

ReverendRyan

Quote from: FTL_Ian on April 25, 2008, 11:11 AM NHFT
La Carreta has real mexicans working at it!

You sure it's not Puerto Ricans or something?

David

Caleb really liked La Carreta.  I liked the atmosphere, but not a fan of mexican food.  Next time you guys visit, take Ian with you and give a rating afterwards.   :)

Ron Helwig

I've heard that there are a couple decent Mexican restaurants in Manchester, but I've never bothered to try them myself.

I'm just missing Taco John's, which isn't really Mexican and they admit it.

kola

yes it would be Taco Juan not Taco John.

damn americanos!

V-Kola

or Vola

or Vi-ola

Puke

There is a Taco Bell, what else is there.

[Ducks]

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Dylboz on April 24, 2008, 11:20 PM NHFT
I just whipped up a batch of carnitas (Mexican pork, I do mine with a lot of cumin and chile) and I was thinking, "man! I'm gonna miss Mexican food in New Hampshire!" I wonder if there are any decent real Mexican places up there. I ask the ex-Texans, ex-New Mexicans and ex-Arizonans... is it awful? Are there enough illegals ;)  up there to have taco trucks or burrito joints? My guess is no... And the one thing that I'll really miss about the Sonora border is, the Mexican hot dog. This, for you New Englanders, is a hot dog wrapped in bacon and grilled, served in a Mexican sweet roll, with mayo, mustard, salsa, ranch style beans and chopped onions. Oh... My... God! Best ever! And, real carne asada, nothing at all like Taco Bell (which I like, but it's nothing like the real deal). I thought that perhaps there would be a market for it up there. I mean, I've always wanted a bar/restaurant, and maybe an authentic Mexican place with tropical cocktails and Margaritas would be welcome. What say thee?

I can't offer any good places to go but I hope you find one.  When I lived in Philadelphia the corner store had really good stuff, I know the names of what I used to eat, I just have no idea how to spell it.  Maybe it was Puerto Rican food, I don't know.  Is there a difference between Mexican food and Puerto Rican food?  I can't eat Mexican food that much anymore it really gives me bad gas. :-\

K. Darien Freeheart

Quote from: 'Puke'There is a Taco Bell, what else is there.

My wife hates real Mexican food. :) She loves some Taco Bell. I love Taco Bell too. Mmmm, empanadas!