• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

What seeds grow best in New hampshire?

Started by Dave Ridley, April 26, 2008, 04:25 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

...and where are they best purchased?  What type is best? 

Kat Kanning

kola

are you talking about edible stuff or or other types of seed (tree, shrub etc)?

dalebert

Dada, make sure you watch Never Get Raided by Barry Cooper first.

Dave Ridley

i am talking about veggie seeds LOL

however yes now that you mention it i heard pot grows here too heh heh

kola

dont let Luke know that.

he be da snitch-meister

Free libertarian

If you're thinking of a garden. I'll point out the obvious, most vegetables like sun, so watch your garden site and see if it's shaded or gets good sun.  Also the soils tend to vary. If you are lucky enough to be on an old farm site years of manure may have the soil very fertile. If not you may need to check the ph level and amend the soil a bit or you'll be disappointed.  A trip to the library and a peek at a gardening book
will help.  Be careful of putting in a garden too early if you can't cover it, last frost is USUALLY the end of May and has dampened many a beginning gardeners spirits.

Most of NH is zone 4 or maybe zone 5, don't buy plants that can't hack the colder temps or short growing season.  On the backs of seed packs they usually show how many days to maturity, opt for the varieties that take less time. 

NJLiberty

You can also try Seed Savers Exchange and Bakers Creek Heirloom Seeds. Both carry a lot of open pollinated seeds that grow well in the north. Johnny's is also a good source.

For zones 4 or 5 you can grow beans, corn (yellow or bi-color seem better in the colder weather than white), peas, beets, carrots, parsnips, radishes, turnips, shallots, leeks, onions, garlic, potatoes, celery, chard, lettuce, kale, spinach, oriental greens, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kohlrabi and others.

The warm weather vining crops like cucumbers and squashes generally ripen quickly enough. Melons you would need to start very early indoors.

The warm weather bush crops like tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, etc. can be grown but you need to start them early and choose short season types.

Sweet potatoes, lima beans, and other southern crops probably won't grow well at all.

There are a number of ways to extend the growing season. Any good gardening book can help you there.

If I can be of any help let me know. I have been gardening more than thirty years now.

George