• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

I finished my NRA training.

Started by porcupine kate, April 20, 2008, 04:18 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

ancapagency

Quote from: Puke on April 21, 2008, 01:44 PM NHFT
Quote from: porcupine kate on April 21, 2008, 01:38 PM NHFT
When I teach I always start with a .22 and work our way up from there.  I recommend a .22 for the first time someone shoots a gun because it isn't loud, doesn't kick, and small handed people can hold on to it.  The other reason is the ammunition is much cheaper.  Once someone is comfortable with the .22 then I offer larger calibers to try.  I always go smallest to largest.  I don't put things like a .357 sig or a .44 magnum in their hands.  You don't want to frighten them even more. 

Yes, there are many videos on the internet of people firing a large gun for the first time. It's a good way to get people hurt. Only fools would hand a large caliber handgun to an inexperienced shooter.

I think people talk up the recoil too much.  I have had a lot of success starting folks out on the .45--yes, even quite small women who'd never fired anything before in their lives.  If you don't talk up the recoil, make sure they have a firm grip before they fire, and just don't stress them out with a bunch of "scary talk" beforehand, they do just fine.  And once they've fired a 1911, I tell them that there are guns that kick more, but don't let anyone tell you you can't handle something because of the recoil. 

Granted, I'm not going to start someone out with an S&W 500, but I don't think it's necessary (except in extreme circumstances) to start someone out w/ a .22.  Now don't get me wrong--I'm not saying it's "wrong" to start someone out on a .22--just that I think it's not necessary, and takes a lot more time.  If you've got all day to teach someone t shoot, fine.  But I have found that you rarely have all day with one individual--whether because of scheduling, or because it's a bit much for a "newb" to spend all day on the range. 

Of course, adequate hearing and eye protection is an absolute necessity--bad experiences w/ noise and the odd flying object hazard can end their shooting career before it really starts.  But even the odd "hot brass down the shirt" hasn't been a problem in my experience (although I do caution them beforehand that it can happen if they don't wear the proper clothing).  But the noise is what can (and is almost always the real problem, in my experience) turn them off before they really get into it.

David

Thus the reason that a women will bring in more women recruits than a guy.   ;D  Just trying to give you a hard time ancap.   ;)

ancapagency

Actually, I've trained many more women than men--and find them generally easier to train.  Again, the ones I've trained stuck with shooting--they would ask to go shooting with me again often, and would take up shooting on their own and invite others along.  They would go on their own to buy firearms for themselves (not always the ones I would have chosen, but I always told them to choose what works for them, rather than buying what someone else tells them to buy). 

I have no doubts that some women will be more comfortable with a female instructor for their introduction to shooting.  And I have no qualms about Kate's qualifications on the range--I have observed her instructing people here at the Little Minnesota range, and she has my unequivocal endorsement as an instructor.  I merely maintain that too much is made of recoil, that women are quite capable of handling recoil and don't need to be "babied" if one has the proper skill to soothe the possible fears about recoil in advance.  Every time I've met a woman who was afraid of recoil, it was because of some asshole guy giving her the song and dance about "this one will knock you on your ass" or some such stupid thing.  Again, I have often slapped a 1911 in a small woman's hand, made sure she had a decent grip on it, and said "go to town." 

Now, that being said, Kate and I have had many discussions about the hand -vs- grip size relationship, and it IS very important to take note if a student has a significantly different sized hand than the grip of the pistol BEFORE they start firing.  But as long as there is a close enough match, and they can get a decent grip, recoil isn't an issue.

Also, I would recommend that any woman who is considering carrying (and hasn't done so before now), and any man who is considering buying holsters and such for a woman, talk to Kate FIRST.  The fact is that most carry gear is made for men, and doesn't work well for women--between shape and proportion differences and fashion differences, there can be significant issues. 

KBCraig

Recoil is subjective. Sometimes being bigger actually makes recoil feel harsher.

Mary is about a half inch shorter than me. I might take her in a fair fight, but of course women don't fight fair.  >:D

Because she works with her hands every day in a very physical job (dog groomer), her hands and forearms are actually stronger than mine.

Despite that, she loves her Taurus M85 Ultralite (very snappy with +P ammo), and hates my full size .45 even with standard velocity 230 grain ball ammo. She insists the .45 has too much recoil. Go figger. I guess it's about the impulse curve, and I suspect being bigger and more muscular means more recoil is felt within the hand/wrist; when someone is smaller and less muscular, the joints flex and act as shock absorbers. When the muscles hold firm, the shock is transmitted right through the joints.

Long guns are also subjective. Mary doesn't mind my Lee-Enfields or 8mm Mausers, both of which are considered fairly strong-kicking guns. (The Mausers are uncomfortable to me because of the stock geometry, but I can shoot Enfields all day.) She hates my Winchester 1300. I admit it's a hard-recoiling gun because of its light weight, but perhaps she's prejudiced because she shot herself in the head with it.  ;)

I haven't had her shoot my M-N M44 or Steyer M95/34, two full-caliber carbines that have quite a reputation for recoil. I don't shoot them from the bench, but when I'm standing on my hind legs neither seems excessive to me.

porcupine kate

KB Craig.
She may not like the 45 because it is full size, particularly if it has a double stack magazine.  Women tend to not only have shorter fingers but narrower hands as well.  The width of your palm will be a factor in if the gun is comfortable to the shooter. 

Ancap.  I have often had women shoot .45 acp on their first day of shooting.  I just like to start with a much smaller hand gun first and see how they do.   I also agree noise is a big factor for some poeple.  I prefer women to wear the foam disposable ear plugs with the ear muffs on top.  This can make a huge difference at an indoor range with other people shooting large calibers .  If you ever take someone shooting and they are flinching from the noise get them more hearing protection. 

grasshopper

Go get em girl!  My new, use sp used to belong to a girl.  I only had 3 powder marks on the wheel.
  Hey, you can start them off with this!

ancapagency

Quote from: porcupine kate on April 23, 2008, 04:28 PM NHFT
If you ever take someone shooting and they are flinching from the noise get them more hearing protection. 

Yep--I always do.  Usually a good set of mickey-mouse ears is enough--just have to make sure they fit well.  But I do offer the option of both if it looks necessary.