• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Illegal Dancing

Started by mackler, April 28, 2008, 12:16 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

mackler

I like the outlaw puppet show idea, mostly because puppets seem so harmless it really highlights the immorality of the law that forbids.  But, realistically, I don't go to a lot of puppet shows, so that law doesn't particularly affect me in my day-today life.

Similarly, I like the idea of gambling as a form of CD, because it involves individuals freely exchanging money, which for some reason is an act that just drives government bureaucrats crazy.  But, again I'm not much of a gambler, so the laws forbidding it don't affect me in a really direct manner.

But one thing I do enjoy is dancing, and Manchester has some anti-dancing laws which are--to put it in the most politically-correct term--learning disabled.

Under Title 11 § 111.66(A) it is illegal to own a location which permits dancing without a city license.  I don't own a place in Manchester, so I can't break this law myself (at the moment), but I do find it morally repugnant.

Under § 111.70 public dancing before noon is illegal (before 2:00 pm on Sundays).  Anyone up for some early-morning line-dancing in Veteran's park?

The upside is that if you're interested in CD, there is no shortage of offenses to choose from.  The downside is that I am beginning to realize just how much freedom I will be giving up by moving to Manchester.

ReverendRyan

I think I'd like to help organize something like this:

Research all the state and local laws that even your "average" citizen will find ridiculous, and have one big demonstration/party in veteran's park, publicize it kinda the same way Dave does, etc.

Try to get as much of the public out as possible, make a scene, but stick to the ridiculous, opposed by 99% of the public type ones. It would be good for networking for anyone planning to run for office, too.

ReverendRyan

State Law -

332-D:1 Sunday Work. – No person shall do any work, business, or labor of his secular calling, to the disturbance of others, on the first day of the week, commonly called the Lord's Day, except works of necessity and mercy, and the making of necessary repairs upon mills and factories which could not be made otherwise without loss to operatives; and no person shall engage in any play, game, or sport on that day.

Manchester Ordinances -

§ 111.66 (A) No person shall own or operate a dance hall or entertainment place of assembly
within the city unless a license shall first be obtained from the City Clerk.
(B) No person shall conduct or allow to be conducted any entertainment or public
dancing which is an isolated or occasional event, and which is not part of the regular and
recurrent business activity of the owner or operator of the room or space within the city unless a
license shall first be obtained from the City Clerk.

§ 111.70 No public dancing shall be permitted between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, 1:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. on Monday, or 2:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

§ 111.80 No showman, tumbler, rope-dancer, ventriloquist, juggler, or other person shall for
exhibit any feats of agility, horsemanship, sleight-of-hand, rope-dancing, or feats of cards,
animals, wax figures, puppets, or other show, or shall perform or exhibit any theatrical or
dramatic representation or other exhibition, performance, or show of any kind or description
the city, unless a license therefor in writing, specifying the day and hour such person is allowed
to perform or exhibit, shall first be obtained from the office of the City Clerk; provided,
however, that any person who is employed by a licensed conductor of a circus, carnival, or other
form of amusement or entertainment or who is employed by a sponsor or an establishment which
holds a valid business license under this chapter, shall not be required to obtain a license.

§ 130.05 No person shall jog or run on any city street without wearing appropriately colored
clothing, such as orange, so as to be clearly visible to motorists during daylight hours. No person
shall jog or run on any city street without wearing appropriately luminescent clothing, such as a
safety vest, running suit, or reflective tape so as to be clearly visible to motorists during
nighttime hours and at dawn or dusk.

§ 130.38 No person shall, without lawful permission, climb on or over any fence of any garden or
yard.

§ 130.39 No person shall, between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m., be permitted to enter on
or trespass on that part of any public park, common, school yard, or playground which is
equipped with playground equipment and used for playground purposes. No person shall be
permitted to use for any purpose whatsoever, playground equipment during the hours
hereinbefore stipulated. Any person who shall tamper with or wantonly injure, damage or
destroy any playground equipment, shall be liable upon conviction, for the damage caused
thereto.

FTL_Ian

Quote332-D:2 Sunday Sales, etc. – No person shall keep his shop, warehouse, cellar, restaurant or workshop open for the reception of company, or shall sell or expose for sale any merchandise whatever on the Lord's Day; but this section shall not be construed to prevent the entertainment of boarders, nor the sale of milk, bread, and other necessaries of life, nor of drugs and medicines.

332-D:3 Sunday Racing Exempted. – No provision of this chapter shall prohibit or authorize the prohibition of running or harness horse racing meets or dog racing meets on Sunday after midday and no action shall be required because of the provisions of this chapter by the selectmen of a town or the city council of a city or a town meeting to permit any such meet.

332-D:7 Penalty. – A person who violates any provision of this chapter is guilty of a violation.

So, no selling things on Sunday unless you are a horse or dog track (or food & medicine store).  Because Jesus loves to bet on the races!

FTL_Ian

Laws sure are fucking dumb. 

ReverendRyan

Notice while state law makes puppet shows, juggling, magicians, etc without a license illegal if for pay, Manchester ordinances make unlicensed entertainment illegal even if performed for free.

mackler

Quote from: The Right Reverend Doctor Pope Sir Ryan on April 28, 2008, 12:29 PM NHFT
Notice while state law makes puppet shows, juggling, magicians, etc without a license illegal if for pay, Manchester ordinances make unlicensed entertainment illegal even if performed for free.

As far as I can see, the way the Manchester ordinance is written, it's illegal to dance in your own home without a license!

KBCraig

One thing to remember: they don't take statutes and ordinances off the books when they've been ruled unconstitutional. They stay on the books even though they're unenforceable.

Many silly local ordinances, and some silly state statutes, have been overruled in the courts. They're still on the books, even though they're nullified.

ReverendRyan

I know Manchester still enforces some blue laws. For example, any business open on Sundays must have a permit to do so.

MattLeft

Just like in "Footloose"!  Dance your ass off, Ren McCormack!

Free libertarian

...law 332 above - "no person shall engage in any game or sport  on Sunday etc'"

Doesn't Manchester have some pro sports teams that play on Sunday? 

It's also interesting that fixing the mill machines was okay on Sunday, maybe god made an exception for the people who owned the mills? ...hmmm

I'm a little puzzled by some of the blue laws, if they are still technically on the books, are cops liable to respond to a call when somebody is "breaking the law".  Shouldn't somebody call the cops when the laws are being broken?  Where is Luke S. when you need him?

Cop -Hello, Officer O'malley Manchester P.D.

Good citizen - I'd like to report a mass insurrection sir

Cop - Huh?

G.C. - Yes there are thousands of people down at the stadium, and I, I think they're watching some
            men...playing a game 

Cop - Yeah, so what?

G.C. - Well, it's Sunday and I just thought you should know they're violating law 332 and it appears this
             may not be spontaneous, in fact it could be a planned event. I'm afraid and think the people
             watching could be domestic terrorists, they appear to be transfixed, I heard one say something
             about about a guy with a bat "hitting a fuckin' bomb, that homer had to go 450 feet"...Alot of
             them are consuming alcohol and the men in the game are running, but aren't wearing reflective
              clothing, it's just awful.
              ....shouldn't these people be home genuflecting or at most over at the mill fixing machines?

Cop -   WHAT??!! No reflective clothing? I'll call the riot squad, we'll be right over!

dalebert

Quote from: Free libertarian on April 29, 2008, 12:09 PM NHFT
  I'm a little puzzled by some of the blue laws, if they are still technically on the books, are cops liable to respond to a call when somebody is "breaking the law".  Shouldn't somebody call the cops when the laws are being broken?  Where is Luke S. when you need him?

Hey maybe that's a good way to raise awareness. Let's start learning the law and calling the cops every time some stupid law gets broken.

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: dalebert on April 29, 2008, 12:19 PM NHFT
Let's start learning the law and calling the cops every time some stupid law gets broken.

Bad idea.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Free libertarian on April 29, 2008, 12:09 PM NHFT

Hey maybe that's a good way to raise awareness. Let's start learning the law and calling the cops every time some stupid law gets broken.

We were talking about having several people (either all at once, or one after the other) go down to their respective city halls and demand a puppeteering license after Ridley's show, especially if the State House refuses to repeal the law afterward.

mackler

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on April 29, 2008, 12:21 PM NHFT
Let's start learning the law and calling the cops every time some stupid law gets broken.

Bad idea.

...for so many reasons.