• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Revoking my Libertarian Party “Life Membership”, a.k.a. Politics Sucks!

Started by FTL_Ian, April 28, 2008, 05:46 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: David on May 26, 2008, 05:35 PM NHFT
I'm surprised Radley Balco called Mary Ruwart a nutjob. 

Is that a Reason guy? Reason seems to have gone down hill in some ways with their new Editor in Chief.

Vitruvian

Quote from: DavidI'm surprised Radley Balko called Mary Ruwart a nutjob.

I am only surprised he expressed his opinion publicly.  Balko is no anarchist.

David

Quote from: Juice of Freedom on May 26, 2008, 06:29 PM NHFT
Quote from: David on May 26, 2008, 05:35 PM NHFT
I'm surprised Radley Balco called Mary Ruwart a nutjob. 

Is that a Reason guy? Reason seems to have gone down hill in some ways with their new Editor in Chief.
He runs the agitator website, and I think he writes for reason. 
http://www.theagitator.com/2008/05/25/meet-bob-barr-your-2008-lp-nominee-for-president/
I don't follow him actively, but he is a good writer, and I like some of the things he agitates for, or against.  I was surprised somewhat, because he strikes me as more of an activist type rather than a party hack.  I guess I was wrong. 

FTL_Ian

tracysaboe

You would think that as somebody very active in the Ron Paul campaign I'd be supportive of Barr, as he's trying to carry the Platform of "Continuing the Revolution."

But I'm not.

I used to actually Defend Barr to libertarians.

The LP was stupid to target his Congressional seat. He did support illegalization of drugs, but he was opposed to the Police State Measures to Prosecute it. So he was a civil libertarian. And a fiscal conservative.

The LP Kicked Barr out with their anti-Barr message over medial marijuana, and the person that replaced him ended up being a complete authoritarian.

I've always kind of liked Barr.

When I initially heard he might be running for the LP Nomination I was excited because that would be an excellent person to bring some name recognition to the Party. Plus he's come around on his views about drugs, had done a lot with the ACLU to fight the Patriot Act. Etc.

But in these last few weeks I've actually been turned off by him -- to the Point that I contacted my State LP Delegates and told them that even though I'm a Paul supporter and Barr has supposedly claimed the continuation of the Ron Paul Revolution Mantle, I didn't trust him and urged them to support Mary Ruwart, and to please NOT support Barr. One of them didn't like Mary, but assured me he doesn't like Barr either. The rest agreed with me.

Tracy

Please donate to the High Tide
http://alcpac.chipin.com/high-tide-s-dakota-2

Friday

For those who care and don't already know, the Bob Barr campaign BOUGHT the popular website http://www.thirdpartywatch.com within the past two weeks.  So you can no longer trust it as an at least somewhat impartial source of information on third parties in the U.S.  At least one well-regarded libertarian blogger has already had a post "disappeared" since the change in ownership.

This site seems to be filling the void, at least for the moment: http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/

tracysaboe

Yeah. I'd heard that Andrew unahue (or whatever his name was) had done that. It was kind of the straw that broke the camels back for me not trusting Barr. (Although I developed reservations prior to hearing that news.)

Tracy

Pat K

Russell Kanning

dalebert

Quote from: Russell Kanning on May 30, 2008, 05:48 AM NHFT
I wonder why the guy keeps going to the conventions.

Perhaps to find people who are almost there. That's how I justify hanging out with a lot of minarchists, aside from that I just like to hang out with them because they're fun people. :)

Great article, Pat. Thanx for tuning us in to it.

Friday

Doesn't he say why in the very first sentence?
QuoteBig Head Press sold a big pile of books.
He's a libertarian graphic artist; what better place to sell his merchandise?

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Friday on May 30, 2008, 06:40 AM NHFT
Doesn't he say why in the very first sentence?
QuoteBig Head Press sold a big pile of books.
He's a libertarian graphic artist; what better place to sell his merchandise?
yea ... but he was complaining that the party represents "libertarianism" .... so why does he prop it up .... he quit the party 8 years ago .... why not let it implode?

David

In regards to the pic PatK alluded to, one of the commentors refered to it as lil musilini, and fidels right nut.   ;D

Mikehz

Yeah, I'm done with the Party, too. After being a member for over 30 years, I'll miss it, but it isn't the party I joined.

No support; no money. I'll either vote for Paul or not at all.