• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Electro Velo '08 event

Started by jaqeboy, May 03, 2008, 08:56 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Caleb

QuoteThe VentureOne will weigh approximately 1,500 pounds in prototype form, with an overall width of 52 inches, a length of 11' 8", and a 110 inch wheelbase. The engine will be located in the rear of the vehicle at a low height. The passenger compartment and the front wheel will tilt when cornering; however, the forces will be aligned with the vertical axis of the driver's body, resulting in the driver being pressed into the seat rather than pushed across it.

Sounds like its still in the concept stages, and hasn't even made it to prototype. The good news is that they say that they are concerned about keeping it affordable.  For us types who eschew all debt, affordability is a gigantic factor.  Jack, if you find any e-velos that are affordable at your forum, please let me know. I am extremely interested in this.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: jaqeboy on May 12, 2008, 10:21 AM NHFT
This is a mean-looking hybrid trike - hard to tell if they are actually in production though, from a quick look at their site.

http://www.flytheroad.com/

Yep, a tilting three wheeler (TTW). Here's video of it.

And here is the pre-registration link for when they do go into production.

"We created the Venture Vehicles Pre-registration in response to the hundreds of requests we have received thru our website and other media. While not an official reservation list, we'll record your purchase interest update you by email as we get closer to launch."

jaqeboy

jaqeboy

OK, okay, this one isn't electric, but a nice-looking trike. Seen today at HK Motorsports on Rt 3 in Hooksett. I whipped my neck around as I passed, slammed on the brakes and did a bat-turn to go back and have a closer look:

http://spyder.brp.com/

Pat McCotter

Of course one could just build one of these:

Town Car
A 100-mpg Hybrid-Electric Car You Build from Plans

Doran
A Gas or Electric Three Wheel Car

XR-3
Diesel-Electric Plug-In Hybrid (125MPG on diesel or 225MPG on diesel/electric)

And a few more at:
Robert Q Riley Enterprises

alohamonkey

Very cool stuff.  I wish I could make it to Scarborough for this but I'm tied up. 

It's inspiring to see how many electric cars are showing up on the market.  Prices will come down as they become more accepted.  Like KB said, I also have concerns about how any 3-wheel car will do in the New England winters though. 

I bought a Prius last September and I'm taking it in for its 10,000 mile maintenance today.  I know it's not a fully electric car but I have been very satisfied with its performance so far.  It struggled a little this past winter but I think that was mostly me getting used to living through a New England winter without 4 wheel drive.  It's amazing how much more fuel efficient the Prius is in warmer months than colder months though.  I'm getting 5+ more mpg now than I was in the winter.  Averaging 550+ miles on a 12 gallon fill-up. 

Just saw this too.  Toyota just sold it's millionth Prius
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/prius-pushes-toyota-1-million/story.aspx?guid=%7BE5C8D85E-5BC2-4E90-8001-248B7AF694FC%7D

Pat McCotter

Quote from: alohamonkey on May 15, 2008, 08:58 AM NHFT
It struggled a little this past winter but I think that was mostly me getting used to living through a New England winter without 4 wheel drive.  It's amazing how much more fuel efficient the Prius is in warmer months than colder months though.  I'm getting 5+ more mpg now than I was in the winter.

In winter, the Prius needs to run the AC compressor to run the engine to keep it warm. This is why cold-weather MPG is less.

Caleb

I like the Xr3! I bet I could also build it for less than $5000, especially since I priced out the transmission and engine at around $3000.

I wonder how much a little AC would bring down the performance?

jaqeboy

Weather may not be good for ElectroVelo Sunday - rain date is 1 June, I think.

http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USME0390?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

jaqeboy

I don't know, but I think the event will be going on. Peter Zack, the organizer, says he could use some track referee volunteers (for the Electrathon event) - you get a free T-shirt if you do it. I'm going to do that and also be on the SUNNev demo and technical team - Art has his production unit No. 1 ready for public display (he showed the prototype at PorcFest 2 years ago). He wants to take it around the track till he runs the batteries down or breaks something. This should be a good event - If you want to learn about EV's and meet some of the EV nuts out there, this would be a good event. It's small enough to get to meet everyone and probably to get a ride in most vehicles.

I'm leaving Deerfield at 7AM - If you're enroute, I can pick you up or jump in your car. If you're further away, we can meet at Little Minnesota or you pick some other place.  Call me at 233-1058 to let me know if you're interested.

jaqeboy

Event is a go - sunshiny here. Looks like I'll be a track corner-worker during the Electrathon and support staff for the the SUNNev car (logging some data about performance and range - the track is 1/3 mile, so we'll keep track of the number of laps we do). Look for me Monday with a sunburn, but the proud owner of a volunteer's T-shirt.