• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Congrats to Friday!

Started by FTL_Ian, May 05, 2008, 11:00 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

Friday:

"I've come to the conclusion that politics is immoral."

8)

Friday

Puke

It's pretty much the only conclusion a rational person can come too.

Congrats.

When the Catholic church was the most powerful group in the world it attracted the most vile type of men. Even the position of Pope was filled by guys that only wanted the most power they could get.

Tom Sawyer

Russell Kanning

Decent Ridleo interview .... the pressure goes up when the camera gets that close to your face.

It is hard to decide what to do next. You will find stuph to do as time goes on.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Friday on May 06, 2008, 12:34 AM NHFT
Thanks, Ian.

I can't say I know you well, but you seemed happier than I've ever seen you in that video.

I know I felt good when I revoked my membership in the LP last week.

Do you feel any differently now that you're done with politics? 

srqrebel

That is awesome! Friday is a wonderful person, and I am sure she will bring a lot of talent to the outside-the-system movement.

I agree with Puke that it is pretty much the only conclusion a rational person can come to. Because of the sheer, unassailable rationality of the outside-the-system approach, we hold a distinct advantage. If we can succeed at combining our rational message with emotional appeal, we can effect a mass sea change, albeit individual by individual.

It will only take a small percentage of individuals making the paradigm shift, for the overall transition from the AMOG to the Free Market Model to occur. Most of the sheeple will then follow, even as they meekly bleat their opposition to it. Judging by the consistently high percentage of individuals who take the WSPQ that fall into the libertarian category, it appears that our work is cut out for us. It is largely a matter of 1) Articulating the rational, Free Market/Voluntaryist paradigm clearly, 2) Maximizing its inherent emotional appeal, and 3) Mass marketing it.

dalebert

Quote from: FTL_Ian on May 06, 2008, 08:48 AM NHFT

I'm curious too. For me it was like getting a monkey off my back (no offense to my avatar). Working through politics to achieve freedom feels like trying to build a perpetual motion machine. It simply defies physics. After a ton of work, you might occasionally take a step forward, only to take three steps back. But just keep your nose to the grindstone, right?  8)

Friday

Thanks, Ian.

I can't say I know you well, but you seemed happier than I've ever seen you in that video.
Hmmm, that's interesting.  I suspect you and I have only run into each other at large events such as PorcFest and LibertyForum, and I tend to feel shy and stressed out in crowds, or you've experienced me in FSP-mode, where I invariably wind up pissed off and frustrated (which I realize doesn't excuse my repeated bad behavior to numerous people, yourself included).  I think those who have seen me hamming it up at MVP meetings have a different impression (or maybe not?!).
I know I felt good when I revoked my membership in the LP last week.
I am actually in the Rearenesque position of still remaining publicly married to "my wife" the LP, out of a sense of duty.  I ran for and won election to the board of the LPNH.  I intend to do what I promised to do and serve out the rest of my term, which expires this fall; I have already informed the rest of the Board that I won't be seeking reelection.  I'm also going to be a delegate at the national convention, if for no better reason than that I already paid for it and I'd like to visit Denver.   :D  I feel confident that, when WAR or BaBarr wins the LP Presidential nomination, it will be that much more satisfying to wash my hands of the whole sad business.  At least I'll be able to say I was there to watch the LP die.   :-\

Ask me again in six months.  :)  At the moment, I feel a big void, kind of like after spending almost every Sunday morning of my life in church and then, at age 18, making a very conscious and painful decision to *not* go anymore.

OK, that's quite enough heart-on-sleeve for one day!!    :P :blahblah:

srqrebel

Quote from: Friday on May 06, 2008, 09:32 AM NHFT
I am actually in the Rearenesque position of still remaining publicly married to "my wife" the LP, out of a sense of duty.

Don't you mean "Reardonesque"?  :D

FTL_Ian

Quote from: srqrebel on May 06, 2008, 09:21 AM NHFT
the outside-the-system movement.

I prefer "market-based activism".  It doesn't qualify us via "the system".

Perhaps "market activism" would be sufficient.

srqrebel

Quote from: FTL_Ian on May 06, 2008, 09:53 AM NHFT
Quote from: srqrebel on May 06, 2008, 09:21 AM NHFT
the outside-the-system movement.

I prefer "market-based activism".  It doesn't qualify us via "the system".

Perhaps "market activism" would be sufficient.

I agree... "outside-the-system" is a less than desirable term.

The terms "market-based activism" and "market activism", while a bit more accurate, are not readily understood by the unitiated.

I had started using the term, "Just Say NO" activism... but that could easily be misunderstood as targeting illegal drugs :-\

...guess I'll just have to keep brainstorming.

Jitgos

I loved the video! It comes just as I am starting to feel the same way about politics. Can't wait to meet you at porcfest. I'll be moving very very soon afterward.

Pat K

Good to see ya smiling and relaxed on video Sandy.

I see you got a radical hair cut to go along with your change
in views.

You look as Pretty as a speckled  puppy in new Red wagon.  ;D

David

Quote from: Friday on May 06, 2008, 09:32 AM NHFT
I feel confident that, when WAR or BaBarr wins the LP Presidential nomination, it will be that much more satisfying to wash my hands of the whole sad business.  At least I'll be able to say I was there to watch the LP die.   :-\

Ask me again in six months.  :)  At the moment, I feel a big void, kind of like after spending almost every Sunday morning of my life in church and then, at age 18, making a very conscious and painful decision to *not* go anymore.

OK, that's quite enough heart-on-sleeve for one day!!    :P :blahblah:
That is the way I felt.  I was never convinced the political activism would work, and I early on realized at least in ohio, it was clearly not working.  I volunteered and gave money to the LP, for a brief while.  But I find myself questioning my various decisions, Dennis and others can be quite convincing.   ;)
I became an out of the system activism due to my conviction that the long term survival of peace and liberty needed to exist in a structure that the gov't can never destroy.  That is why I speak constantly of the need for decentralization. 
My conviction that I was in the right direction strengthened everytime something happened to validate it, the pro-war libertarian fakes, Sununu, the LP big tent strategy, Guintas using of good people, (contrary to popular opinion, I respect my political friends and do not want snake oil salesmen to take advantage of them), the various arguements on the merits and demerits of the sides, etc.