• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

What is your favorite song of the last 5 minutes?

Started by Friday, May 26, 2008, 07:24 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Risked it all coming down off the mountain last night to go to the show... ended up in the ditch and then in one of those hand of god moments was able ot back the car out, continue on our way... great show.

Thanks to Jim and Lauren for watching the prez while mom and dad got to have a night out. :)

Duet with John Prine and Iris Dement
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Friday

K. Darien Freeheart

Friday

Quote from: Kevin Dean on December 06, 2009, 10:41 AM NHFT
In general, I don't click mystery links.  However, I recognize that song from the lyrics displayed in the freezeframe.  Not sure if I should watch it, as that song has been known to make me cry like a baby.  I was actually thinking about posting that on Facebook; does anyone else cry like a baby when listening to DCFC?   :crybaby2:

Pat K

Well I experience something similar when there's no more Beer in the fridge.

John

Friday

Tom Sawyer

Friday

Quote from: Friday on September 02, 2008, 06:00 PM NHFT
Breaker-1-9 come back Snowman   :'(  Don't let Smokey catch ya on the way to Heaven.

East Bound and Down - Jerry Reed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnRwQjTYfGI

Christ, I had a whole thread of songs on the FSP forum.  Apparently I really wanted to get here.    ;)

East Bound and Down
U-Haul wheels a-rollin'
And we're gonna do what they say can't be done
We've got a long way to go
And a short time to git there
I'm eastbound, now
Watch this Porcupine run!

It's New Hampshire or bust
California can eat my dust
Let it all hang out
Cuz we got a run to make.
This ol' government is abusive
And sweet liberty seems elusive
But we'll get it back
No matter what it takes....

East Bound and Down
U-Haul wheels a-rollin'
And we're gonna do what they say can't be done
We've got a long way to go
And a short time to git there
I'm eastbound, now
Watch this Porcupine run!

Friday

I posted this one a week before I left California.

the Eagles - The Last Resort

Couldn't improve on this if I tried (and yes, as a matter of fact, I WAS born in Rhode Island)
-----------------------------------------

The Last Resort

She came from Providence,
the one in Rhode Island
Where the old world shadows hang
heavy in the air
She packed her hopes and dreams
like a refugee
Just as her father came across the sea

She heard about a place people were smilin'
They spoke about the red man's way,
and how they loved the land
And they came from everywhere
to the Great Divide
Seeking a place to stand
or a place to hide

Down in the crowded bars,
out for a good time,
Can't wait to tell you all,
what it's like up there
And they called it paradise
I don't know why
Somebody laid the mountains low
while the town got high

Then the chilly winds blew down
Across the desert
through the canyons of the coast, to
the Malibu
Where the pretty people play,
hungry for power
to light their neon way
and give them things to do

Some rich men came and raped the land,
Nobody caught 'em
Put up a bunch of ugly boxes, and Jesus,
people bought them
And they called it paradise
The place to be
They watched the hazy sun, sinking in the sea

You can leave it all behind
and sail to Lahaina
just like the missionaries did, so many years ago
They even brought a neon sign:"Jesus is coming"
Brought the white man's burden down
Brought the white man's reign

Who will provide the grand design?
What is yours and what is mine?
'Cause there is no more new frontier
We have got to make it here

We satisfy our endless needs and
justify our bloody deeds,
in the name of destiny and the name
of God

And you can see them there,
On Sunday morning
Stand up and sing about
What it's like up there
They call it paradise
I don't know why
You call someplace paradise,
kiss it goodbye

--Messrs Henley & Frey

Pat McCotter

La Campanella (meaning "The Little Bell") is the nickname given to the final movement of Paganini's Violin Concerto No. 2 in B minor, because the tune was reinforced by a little handbell.

Blind Japanese Pianist Nobuyuki Tsujii plays La Campanella at Cliburn

Franz Liszt used the tune and wrote various pieces based on it, the most famous of which is the third of six Grandes Etudes de Paganini ("Grand Paganini Etudes"), S. 141, of 1851,known also as La Campanella. (This piece is a revision of an earlier version from 1838, when the set was called Études d'exécution transcendante d'après Paganini, S. 140). The later set is a revision of the earlier set, and every piece in the set is based on themes by Niccolò Paganini.

The etude is played at a brisk pace and studies right hand jumping between intervals larger than one octave, sometimes even stretching for two whole octaves within the time of a sixteenth note, at Allegretto tempo. As a whole, the etude can be practised to increase dexterity and accuracy at large jumps on the piano, along with agility of the weaker fingers of the hand. The largest intervals reached by the right hand are fifteenths (two octaves) and sixteenths (two octaves and a second). Sixteenth notes are played between the two notes and the same note is played two octaves or two octaves and a second higher with no rest. No time is provided for the pianist to move the hand, thus forcing the pianist to avoid tension within the muscles. Fifteenth intervals are quite common in the beginning of the etude, while the sixteenth intervals appear twice, at the thirtieth and thirty-second measures.

However, the left hand studies about four extremely large intervals, larger than the right hand. For example, after the Più mosso, at the seventh measure, the left hand makes a sixteenth-note jump of just a whole-tone above three octaves. The etude also involves other technical difficulties, e.g. trills with the fourth and fifth fingers. The pianist will normally try to limit trills with the fourth and fifth, for easier endurance.

Tom Sawyer

Video sucks but the music has a really cool vibe...
The Brian Jonestown Massacre

Friday

BJM!!  A San Francisco club staple, in the era when I spent at least a couple evenings a week in SF clubs.   :hippy2:

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Friday on January 18, 2010, 03:42 PM NHFT
BJM!!  A San Francisco club staple, in the era when I spent at least a couple evenings a week in SF clubs.   :hippy2:

I thought of you when I watched the documentary Dig! about them on Hulu... giggled to the idea you might be in it. :)

Pat K