• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

JJ and Dada thought I was joking

Started by David, May 27, 2008, 08:43 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Dave Ridley

very cool
i hope it works out and plan to give it some publicity

Friday

Patri Friedman gave a presentation on this at FreedomFest '04.  He was quite serious about it; he and his two partners, all of whom are engineers/computer guys, had written a whole book on the concept, detailing some of the possible structural specs etc.  During the Q&A session, there was heated discussion of piracy.   :ahoy:  It was all quite fascinating.  I'm glad the idea is still alive.

Jason Sorens also gave a presentation on the FSP at that convention, and we had a very early transcontinental meeting of the Porcupines from all over the U.S. at one of those all-you-can-eat Vegas buffets  :D

Nathan.Halcyon

Puke

Russell Kanning

I believed you ... it just didn't sound good to me. I am a landlubber

JJ

I never doubted your commitment, only your sanity.

Free libertarian

Nice article and thought provoking.  I'd miss the land though.  I wonder how long it would be before the U.S tried to establish a base there too.  You know how much GW loves to stand on floating objects and declare mission accomplished!

It makes me think about the Free State project. Not being a free stater,  (I've always been here)  but very supportive of the concept I'd like to see more people come here who are into liberty.  I seem to spend alot of time obsessing over what's happening to our personal freedom and tend to wear out my family at social gatherings.  It's nice to be able to talk to people who "get it". I wish more would come here.   It's sad to think in order to be free we have to consider "escaping".  Many years ago while in high school I worked at a Chinese Restaurant and got to know a few of the cooks, they told me sobering tales of fleeing Comunist China.  I didn't know any better then and was proud our country was seen as sanctuary for them. I'm not so proud anymore....Pretty sad that living on an old oil rig is the only way to escape this mess we have now.  Or I suppose more people could move to Grafton...hmmm.

John Edward Mercier

I would be less worried about them landing on it... and more about them destroying it.

K. Darien Freeheart

I think there would be all kinds of issues with that. I recall that Sealand has never gained recognition from any other nation on the face of the planet because one of the most basic criteria is having "land".

I would also think that the US Government (if those guys are all American) would claim it's "American property" like they'd claim a boat is. At best, it turns into a firefight with the Navy rather than the police. Much better to join the Free State Project, I think, and work towards establishing self-government and voluntary interactions as a legitimate way to live than to build a floating colony. The idea isn't, IMO, that far from getting an island and starting a libertarian society.

And we all know that's worked well in the past.