• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Copwatchers beware

Started by kola, June 01, 2008, 09:07 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

kola

in NM cops attack an innocent newsreporter.  right to observe?

http://www.infowars.com/?p=2481

Free libertarian

ThAT cop was an asshole. Kola, you've made it clear you aren't a fan of cops, in many instances I'd agree with you. I'm hesitant to condemn all cops as human beings though, logic tells me that kind of thinking only opens the door to blanket statements or other prejudices against other people which I'm trying hard not to hold.

I am not comfortable saying ALL cops are assholes. I will say that many I've met have
cop attitudes and view things far different than me.  Cops are people, just like you and me in many regards and have kids, significant others and are subject to the same kinds of emotions we all experience, even the one's that are assholes.  To be clear I'm not cheerleading for more cops. If I had a magic wand, I'd make there jobs go away as I see most of the "laws" they enforce as unneeded and controlling irrelevant things.  I see cops as enabling a corrupt system and to a great degree many will rationalize their behavior so they can feel like they are doing good when they are really enforcing stupid laws rather than "protecting and serving".   

I have had a few encounters with cops, some better than others. For the time being I won't condemn ALL cops, I'll remain suspicious of them because of the nature of their jobs, but I can't go so far as to say all are bad human beings.  Misguided in their point of view and often in their actions definitely.  All of them? I don't know all of them, so I can't say all are assholes or worthless human beings.

I have friends who absolutely hate ALL cops...hate can consume a person and keep them from being happy.  I try hard not to hate anybody or any particular class of people. It's not always easy to do that, but I'm going to keep trying.  I think when we condemn a class of people we stop seeing people as individuals and lose sight of many things we are hoping for.  So is it possible while many (most?) cops are misguided and unneeded they still have some worth as human beings even the asshole in the video?   

kola

how do u feel about nazi soldiers?

any good nazi's?

kola

Free libertarian

Kola, perhaps I should be more clear.  On the whole, I'm not a fan of cops. We hold different philosophies  how a cooperative society should function. I believe in leaving others alone and minding my own business, most of them don't otherwise they wouldn't be cops.  My point in my earlier post was all of us are human beings first no matter how our lives got twisted in the interim. Even though I don't like what others do, it doesn't mean they aren't human. Even cops are human. Hate all of them if that is what you want to do.

I think when we dehumanize a class of people it gives rise to things like Nazis.   
Nazi's?...I don't know any, but the philosphy behind Nazism is wrong and I understand your point that some cops fall back on "just doing my job" etc. which is a poor excuse.

The cop in your video...if he had gotten kicked in the balls, I'd have said he had it coming to him.  HE was clearly wrong, doesn't mean I should kick ANY cop in the nuts on sight though. 

If we continue the kind of thinking that doesn't allow for the possibility that somebody in a different colored uniform or with a different point of view might have a shred of humanity we are doomed to repeat our mistakes. So my philosophy on cops remains :  be suspicious while allowing/helping them to see the error of their ways, and hope like hell I never get so angry that I fail to see that ALL people are human and individuals first, yes even cops, even Nazis.    I think  the distinction between you and I, is I accept the possibility that not ALL cops are assholes.  Doesn't mean under the right circumstances I wouldn't think some of them are assholes or need a swift kick, BUT that could apply to any of us, not just cops. 

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: kola on June 03, 2008, 09:18 AM NHFT
how do u feel about nazi soldiers?

any good nazi's?

Are you willfully ignoring my pointing out Oskar Schindler before, or did you just forget?

There were also a lot of Germans, including Nazi officials (ultimately, you had to be a Nazi to work for the government) who worked to protect Jews and help them flee the country, issuing bogus passports, smuggling them out, and so on.

TresJay

Quote from: Free libertarian on June 03, 2008, 08:26 AM NHFT
  I am not comfortable saying ALL cops are assholes.

My personal (anecdotal) experience is that elected cops are not assholes.  The only other "decent" cops I've known (two) were over 50 years old.  Maybe the common thread between these two groups are that they each have nothing to prove.  As for the rest, they are ALL assholes. [If your father/brother/son/uncle/cousin/husband is a cop, I'm certain that he is the one good cop left in the world. Save your rant for somone else.]

Something else occurs to me reading posts from our LEOs here.  They want us to think that cops are only human and therefore there are a few bad apples.  Then, each has whined about how their colleagues harass them daily for posting in a freedom forum.  If most cops are "good guys", wouldn't "most cops" be supportive of freedom?  If they want to know why the public distrusts them, it's because the shoe fits.

Dirty cops are so ubiquitous that it barely makes the news anymore.  I think that only after they've eliminated crime inside the police station should they be allowed to worry about the rest of us.

Puke

Why are guys even trying to get a rational point across to the guy?
Most of his posts only go to the absurd extreme.