• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Critical Mass

Started by maulotaur, May 31, 2008, 01:08 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

maulotaur

I was wondering which (if any) cities in NH have critical mass (biking activist) events.  I went on my first one today - it was rather small and tame but fun nonetheless.  Here is some info for those unfamiliar:

Critical Mass is an event typically held on the last Friday of every month in cities around the world where bicyclists and other self-propelled commuters take to the streets en masse. While the ride was originally founded with the idea of drawing attention to how unfriendly the city was to bicyclists,[1] the leaderless structure of Critical Mass makes it impossible to assign it any one specific goal. In fact, the purpose of Critical Mass is not formalized beyond the direct action of meeting at a set location and time and traveling as a group through city or town streets. (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_Mass)

"Critical Mass bike rides take place monthly in cities around the world. They are free mass participatory events, with no leaders or fixed agendas. However, the broad aim is to celebrate cycling and sustainable transport, and to give cyclists safety in numbers."
(from http://criticalmass.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page)

http://critical-mass.info/

-Paul in VA

Puke

dalebert

I arrived in S.F. for a visit right as Critical Mass was taking over a big intersection. They road out and blocked it off for about five minutes carrying signs. It actually scared me a bit. Very overwhelming. I think S.F. has the biggest turn out nationwide.

Anyway, it inspired me to create a superhero who uses his powers to engage in super civil disobedience. I'm working on the story line now. I may try my hand at drawing the comic and posting it on Anarchy In Your Head.

Friday

Quote from: maulotaur on May 31, 2008, 01:08 AM NHFT
I was wondering which (if any) cities in NH have critical mass (biking activist) events.  I went on my first one today - it was rather small and tame but fun nonetheless.  Here is some info for those unfamiliar:
I'm not aware of any critical mass activities in New Hampshire.  You know it's a really low-population state, right?  It's not really the kind of place where enough people commute via bike in any one town for that sort of thing to have much impact.

I lived in San Francisco for 7 years without a car and participated in Critical Mass many times.  Although I'm sure it pissed off many motorists, most of the cyclists I observed seemed to have a good attitude about it, and it was incredibly fun to, for at least a few minutes, be able to ride through the streets of your own city without having to fear for your life.  Well, MUCH, anyway.  I once witnessed a motorist who just got so tired of waiting the few extra minutes it took for the cyclists to get through an intersection, he just charged forward and ran down a bike in broad daylight with dozens, if not hundreds, of witnesses.  If the girl on the bike hadn't been nimble and leapt off, she'd have been roadkill.  Then the guy kept going, with the bike wedged in his underworks, dragging it.  THEN a posse of cyclists ran him down, ON FOOT, and encircled his car to keep him from getting away, until the cops showed up.

:icon_motor: <-- sorry, I know it has a motor but it was the best I could find

Jitgos

We could always start one. It might just be 3 people riding their bikes up and down main street, but it has to start somewhere.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: Jeremy Couch on May 31, 2008, 10:09 AM NHFT
We could always start one. It might just be 3 people riding their bikes up and down main street, but it has to start somewhere.

It's going to be great having you around, with that attitude!!  :D

Russell Kanning

We can even just ride around and say hi to folks ... we wouldn't even have to block off intersections :)

KBCraig

"Critical Mass" = mobocracy in action? Taking over by dint of numbers alone? Shutting down others who have done nothing to infringe or impede you?

Friday

Quote from: KBCraig on May 31, 2008, 01:22 PM NHFT
"Critical Mass" = mobocracy in action? Taking over by dint of numbers alone? Shutting down others who have done nothing to infringe or impede you?

Taking over what?  Shutting down what?

"Critical Mass" = hundreds of people deciding to commute home by bicycle, at the same time, following the same route.  The exact same thing that people in cars do every day; the cyclists just do it once a month.  They are still subject to the same traffic laws they always are. 

By coincidence, I've been cleaning out some old papers in my apartment and came across some 'zine I was given at a Critical Mass  in July 1993.  It has what I *think* is a spoof headline of the San Francisco Chronicle (it's so well done, it's hard to be sure).  The predictably overwrought headline reads:
U.S. Under Attack by Internal Enemies
I-80 Grinds to Halt as Crazed Bicyclists Occupy Freeway

FWIW, I never rode on a freeway.  I also follow traffic laws and rights of way.  That didn't stop the Berkeley P.D. from pulling me over once (yes, with a CAR).   ::)  They gave me a ticket for not having a headlight on my bike.  And no, it wasn't after dark.

maulotaur

Quote from: Friday on May 31, 2008, 07:36 AM NHFT
it was incredibly fun to, for at least a few minutes, be able to ride through the streets of your own city without having to fear for your life. 

You are so right on that one!  In a city where it is risky enough in a car during the peak times and that much worse to try riding your bike along the roads, being able to ride on the street is a rare experience.  Around here you don't see many cyclists or even pedestrians except in small limited areas like the boardwalk, and I believe it is intentionally set up to be that way.  I have lost count how many times I was trying to cross the highway and somebody is speeds up coming toward me, only to have a red light two blocks ahead.  Having a group of 40 or so really got a lot of attention without causing any major disruptions or problems.  A couple of cops passed us but did not stop or anything.  Now if there were thousands of people doing it (as you would expect in an area of 1+ million), I don't know.  It is really hard to get even a few people together to do anything here.  I would guess that you could probably get that many participants in the Keene area even with the lower population (?)

Paul in VA

jaqeboy

Cycling activists in Nashua have gotten the City Dept. of Public Works/Traffic Department to work on adding bike lanes to some major downtown streets. I think Rosemary Kennet was one of the people involved - a longtime objectivist, LP'er, free speech advocate, meeting promoter (she showed videos at the Chandler Branch of the Library for years). One rail trail is for bikes (runs parallel to West Hollis Street from City Hall out to (not sure how far out it goes).

The big local bike club is: Granite State Wheelmen.

There are were 2 huge bike shops in Nashua, Goodale's and Nault's (which looks like it  has moved to Manch).

There used to be a great bike race through the streets and Nashua was to be a stop on a Tour-de-France caliber race (which, I think didn't go off).

Maybe the Wheelmen would be into working with someone wanting to organize a Critical Mass action in Nashua.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Friday on May 31, 2008, 02:03 PM NHFT
Even if they shut down one intersection for a while .... it is better than being a fed cop for most of your life.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Friday on May 31, 2008, 02:03 PM NHFTThat didn't stop the Berkeley P.D. from pulling me over once (yes, with a CAR).   ::)  They gave me a ticket for not having a headlight on my bike.  And no, it wasn't after dark.
neverending isn't it .... what are they doing? driving around looking for headlightless bikes? I ride a bike with no helmet, no headlight and no taillight in Keene. Maybe the cops ignore that stuph here.

I had a cop pull alongside me ... on the shoulder ... to talk with me while I was on my 4 wheeled bike in Santa Clarita. I was traveling in the right hand lane of a fast moving road. He was worried for my safety. I told him I was fine and cars seem to be safe around me. He didn't really have any reason to get me off the road, but he wanted me off I could sense.

What hit me as funny was that the road was closed on one end for a Independence Day Parade and I was headed there to deliver my quadcycle to my sister to ride it in the parade. So I was on a closed road headed to a party ... riding a red white and blue float with flags and banners and signs ... I don't think I was about to get run over.

KBCraig

Quote from: Friday on May 31, 2008, 02:03 PM NHFT

"Critical Mass" = hundreds of people deciding to commute home by bicycle, at the same time, following the same route.  The exact same thing that people in cars do every day; the cyclists just do it once a month.  They are still subject to the same traffic laws they always are. 

I've never been to SF, and obviously never participated in Critical Mass. But from the reports I've seen of it, the event was about shutting down car traffic by clogging the roads with bicycles and completely ignoring traffic laws (even people who don't care about "laws" recognize that stopping at marked intersections is a good idea).

dalebert

Quote from: KBCraig on June 01, 2008, 11:01 AM NHFT
I've never been to SF, and obviously never participated in Critical Mass. But from the reports I've seen of it, the event was about shutting down car traffic by clogging the roads with bicycles and completely ignoring traffic laws (even people who don't care about "laws" recognize that stopping at marked intersections is a good idea).

That's what they were doing when I saw them the first time. They rode into a big intersection and circled for about five to ten minutes and waved signs. It was kind of scary for some reason.