• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Alternatives Expo at Porcfest 2008

Started by Russell Kanning, June 02, 2008, 01:57 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

jaqeboy

Quote from: Russell Kanning on June 09, 2008, 08:54 AM NHFT
those of us that might use them can choose them to mean whatever we want :)

Yep, that's that there freedom thangie!

jaqeboy

Quote from: dalebert on June 09, 2008, 08:19 AM NHFT
One thing I don't like about it is it seems to perpetuate the myth that all our labor has the same value. There's a term for that misguided view of economics that evades me right now. I'm sure someone will post it. I realize it doesn't necessarily mean that in its actual usage but what's printed on it implies that.

Dale, from my research on time-money systems, there are 2 schools of thought: 1. everybody's hour is the same value, and 2. the "hour" is based on an entry-level or low-skill level person's hour value. When the Ithaca Hour was started, that was about $10 in the county in New York where they are.

People will trade them at the value they percieve them to be worth, eh. If you charge $80/hour for your services, then you'd charge 8 ExpoHours/hour. I know that using the word hour may be confusing, but we've just jumped in and followed the Ithaca model, because it's been tested for a while. I didn't like the final wording either - I would have said it slightly differently, but we didn't have time for another committee meeting and another edit (since we just finished the press run on the certificates at midnight)

jaqeboy

Quote from: lawofattraction on June 09, 2008, 08:30 AM NHFT
Quote from: Kat Kanning on June 09, 2008, 07:30 AM NHFT
I love the "in each other we trust".  :D

I don't really see that as being much different than "In God We Trust", but it is kind of fun...

We thought the word "trust" was good, since no money system works without trust, whether you're trusting the government's treasury, mint, congress and central bank - or whether you're trusting the people you enter into contracts with. This is a system of trust in contract, though our BoD has to work up that set of rules that make up their offer in the contract - First meeting 2PM Tuesday, tentsite P32.

The word value, as in "we value each other" was considered, but we went with trust.

jaqeboy

I don't really see that as being much different than "In God We Trust", but it is kind of fun...

David Grossack was the first to use that slogan (that I know of) when he developed the Universal Trade Hour, just to give him proper credit. He developed the system, printed up a ton of certificates, but decided not to "go live" with the UTH system and makes a living as a lawyer instead.

He's a libertarian and has come to PorcFest before.

jaqeboy

Quote from: lawofattraction on June 09, 2008, 08:25 AM NHFT
I'm curious about the coffee cup... Can you trade one in for a cup of coffee?

AND.... for about 1.2 ExpoHours, you can get the souvenir mug!!! Just checked with the supplier and they're shipping them to us at Gunstock on Wednesday - phew!

We'll have a few trade items to seed the AltEconomy: prepared coffee, 8oz bags of coffee, coffee mugs and popcorn. Then we'll see if the ExpoHour propagates into the greater economy, ie, the site next door and beyond.

If someone has a good large drip coffeemaker that's really clean and a popcorn maker, we might be able to use them as backups. I was going to make the popcorn in some camp cookware, but a popcorn maker would make my job easier!

Russell Kanning

Quote from: lawofattraction on June 09, 2008, 01:34 PM NHFT
Would I be correct in assuming that the Law of Attraction presentation has still not been scheduled? Perhaps I should send Sam-I-am an IM.  ;)
I see it

Russell Kanning

jaqeboy

Quote from: lawofattraction on June 09, 2008, 01:34 PM NHFT
Quote from: jaqeboy on June 09, 2008, 10:40 AM NHFT

We thought the word "trust" was good, since no money system works without trust, whether you're trusting the government's treasury, mint, congress and central bank - or whether you're trusting the people you enter into contracts with. This is a system of trust in contract, though our BoD has to work up that set of rules that make up their offer in the contract - First meeting 2PM Tuesday, tentsite P32.

The word value, as in "we value each other" was considered, but we went with trust.

I think the "in each other we trust" is great. Perhaps it will have the added benefit of making the currency more atheist-friendly than the "In God We Trust" type currencies.

It looks like your board meeting will conflict with the eco-village tour on the Alt Expo schedule.

Would I be correct in assuming that the Law of Attraction presentation has still not been scheduled? Perhaps I should send Sam-I-am an IM.  ;)

Yeah, it's pluralistic, non-denominational, community (regardless of race, sex or creed) money!  ;D

Oops, I mis-stated the schedule - AltMoney (Expo Hours) "Time is Money" is at noon. I mean we can talk about it any time, but this gives anyone that wants to be in on the decision-making a specific time to meet. The eco-village tour is flexible - it's about a half hour away in Barnstead. It's called Namaste Greenfire, since Bruce thinks we should be "green" with fire (passion). Cool place.

LoA (not you) is on with Sam for 6PM Friday evening, video: The Secret at 7PM.

jaqeboy

I probably should start a whole thread for the Expo Hours, but I'm almost all packed up and need to head up to Gunstock.

We did reserve a domain name: expohours.com, but not sure if Fred has put anything up on there yet. No, I checked and it's not showing up yet.

Be thinking of how to issue the money in a way that is fair. AltExpo wants to make some FRN's to cover out-of-pocket costs, and we may be the only one taking them as a "merchant" at first - for coffee and mugs. Maybe we can get some other early-adopter merchants. I know Ron Helwig is bringing up a pickup load of firewood from his land - maybe he'll accept Expos. We sorta need a sign for merchants that says: "Expo Hours accepted here!"

Russell Kanning

I can accept expo hours in direct exchange for my labor in hours.

If I end up not being worth 10 cups of coffee an hour, then I guess my time will get devalued ... maybe I can keep up the exchange rate by threats of force like the evil empire.

jaqeboy

Quote from: Russell Kanning on June 09, 2008, 02:19 PM NHFT
I can except expo hours in direct exchange for my labor in hours.

If I end up not being worth 10 cups of coffee an hour, then I guess my time will get devalued ... maybe I can keep up the exchange rate by threats of force like the evil empire.

There you go - Expo Hour merchant #2!

Now we need an Cambio - a money-changer, so to speak. And, I was thinking we could issue certificates to agents who would do what they could to get them into circulation.

Russell Kanning

we will have to work on a hours to dollars to silver thing .... maybe it needs its own thread

tell us what you guys decide at the altexpo

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: Russell Kanning on June 09, 2008, 02:19 PM NHFT
I can except expo hours in direct exchange for my labor in hours.

'Give me coffee or I will kill you!'... interesting.

jaqeboy

Quote from: Russell Kanning on June 09, 2008, 02:40 PM NHFT
we will have to work on a hours to dollars to silver thing .... maybe it needs its own thread

tell us what you guys decide at the altexpo

Yeah, maybe on a separate thread we can report the outcome of the Board.

Got merchant #3 - Ron Helwig - He's got firewood for sale at PorcFest. He just wants the Expo Hours convertible into something he can pay the mortgage with.... hmmm.

Russell Kanning

he will have to talk to his bank about that one .... maybe request a more stable currency than $s ;)