• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Alternatives Expo at Porcfest 2008

Started by Russell Kanning, June 02, 2008, 01:57 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

John Edward Mercier

Why would he want that?
The more the $ devalues... the less he pays in real terms.

jaqeboy

Well, we've had a tour of the Barnstead eco-village and a couple of meetings of the Board of the Expo Hour Issuing Authority and we've made several resolutions - we'll issue the certificates tonight!

Additional Expo Hour accepting merchants:
Jerry the bartender in the Fun Tent for tips,
Ward for his chili,
Stuart's IT for computer building services,
the Home Workz for home repair services,

everyone's jumping on board...

We posted a more finalized schedule to the Alt Expo Google calendar and are finding a huge amount of interest in the events.

The Expo Cafe tent blew down last night in a microburst of wind - It went down after the top canvas slapped me in the face about 5 or 6 quick times. Errr...

In today's UPS, we recieve our fresh-roasted (Tuesday) AltJava coffee (our blend that we'll serve at the Expo Cafe.

Excitement builds....

More later

Friday

Quote from: jaqeboy on June 08, 2008, 08:05 AM NHFT
We have a hospitality room in the lodge all day Saturday with a Happy Hour cash bar from 4-7!
Correction: the Happy Hour event was planned months ago, and is being sponsored by Freedom Force International and the Libertarian Party of New Hampshire. 

jaqeboy

Quote from: Friday on June 11, 2008, 08:12 PM NHFT
Quote from: jaqeboy on June 08, 2008, 08:05 AM NHFT
We have a hospitality room in the lodge all day Saturday with a Happy Hour cash bar from 4-7!
Correction: the Happy Hour event was planned months ago, and is being sponsored by Freedom Force International and the Libertarian Party of New Hampshire. 
Correction to the correction... Oh, yeah, but that takes it back to the original post, the room was jointly booked by the 3 of us, each to promote it as their own. We had a couple of good presentations there, but were thinking it was going to be on the mainstream path so everyone would see it, but it turned out to be way out of the way - darn.

It was a good room, but the food budget was a killer - we haven't gone over the final accounting with John yet, but we may have to beg for more contributions to get this room up to break-even.

jaqeboy

The Alt Expo was a huge success! Barring the fact that our main expo tent collapsed under the weight of the water on Saturday night, we generally broke even - gotta do the basic accounting, yet. (and see if the tent is repairable, or if it's dumpster material).

We met a lot of great people, some of whom are going to join in various projects presented, including web site development and design, ecovillage development, wwoof'ing, community currency development, historical research and most of them are going to enjoy some continuing excellent AltJava experiences. By the way, more AltJava beans may be ordered from A&E Roastery in Amherst from Emeran or Emily, tel: 603-578-3338. That was a medium roast and you'd probably have to purchase some minimum order size based on whatever their roasting batch size is.

jaqeboy

Oh, and btw, the idea of marking people's mugs on the bottom almost worked - someone got away with mine and probly left me with one of the loaners. If yours says "Jack" on the bottom, it mine! But keep it - it'll all work out.

For those interested in how the Expo Hours community currency experiment worked, I'll try to have a full report on it tomorrow night. If anyone thinks it's something they'd like to continue after PorcFest, let's talk. I just talked to a guy who knew a lot about alternate community currencies in Germany, so I hope to pick his brain on that. One group of folks in a nearby town is considering launching one in their town.

Also, if anyone has photos they took of the AltExpo site and of the Expo Cafe, could you email them to me: Jack@AltExpo.org.