• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Grafton is new Big Media capital

Started by PattyLee loves dogs, June 05, 2008, 09:17 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Cool

I can only see the top and the ads on KGhostview.

JJ

Dan

Something is happening in Grafton.  This is great stuff.

Has there been more than one issue?  If so, how do you get at older versions?

Do I HAVE to ask the archivist?  He's an ornery sort.

BTW:  I have other technical comments.  Should I drone on about it here?

dalebert

Wait, what? Grafton has a Gazette? I expected news out of Grafton thanx to Free Staters, but does this mean they had news in Grafton BEFORE Free Staters arrived?

Lloyd Danforth

There was a prior publication called the Fuckus Focus, started, I believe, to thwart FreeStaters efforts to keep the Anti-Private Property Statist from further ruining Grafton.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Dan on July 03, 2008, 08:23 AM NHFT
Something is happening in Grafton.  This is great stuff.

Drone here:

editor@graftongazette.com

Send in your snail address tell them you're one of the good guys and, probably, worth a stamp.

TresJay

This is the second issue.  This previous issue can be seen at

http://www.graftongazette.com/GraftonGazette0806.pdf

All good newspaper men historically have been crotchety.  Perry White, Lou Grant, et al.  :) The Gazette Archivist follows that lineage.

You decide.  If it has generic interest to others publishing small newspapers, shout it here.  If you are going to suggest that headlines should be a 1/2 pt larger or that classified ads should be Verdana instead of Courier, you will be referred to the Archivist / acting Complaint Manager.  If it's more like resizing the embedded images for easier download, send it to editor@graftongazette.com.

A friendlier website is desired and not started yet.  Accessing archives, ad submission, and possibly enhanced content are all being considered.

TresJay

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on July 03, 2008, 10:14 AM NHFT
Send in your snail address tell them you're one of the good guys and, probably, worth a stamp.

We got our first request for a snail mail subscription!  The Post Master tells me that some locals are already sending issues to expatriates.  The postage will be between $.90 and $1.00 until we hit 200 subscriptions, then it will drop to $.51.  The editors will be leaving it up to the Archivist / acting Circulation Manager to implement a subscription program and handling fees.

TresJay

Quote from: Russell Kanning on July 02, 2008, 12:18 PM NHFT
I can only see the top and the ads on KGhostview.

I'm sorry to hear this.  I have no idea how to resolve this or where to start looking.  Perhaps the staff of the NH Free Press can help here.  They use the same software to generate the pdfs that I use.  :)

I just had a thought, and created a new pdf.  Could you please try

http://www.graftongazette.com/Russell.pdf

and report your results?

Russell Kanning

Quote from: TresJay on July 03, 2008, 10:51 AM NHFT
I just had a thought, and created a new pdf.  Could you please try

http://www.graftongazette.com/Russell.pdf

and report your results?
now I do not see the banner on the front page
banners and lines on all other pages (as before)
no ads
a box on page 11
some gray at the bottom of page 6

Lex

Jay asked me to see if I could replicate the problem that Russell was experiencing. Here are my findings:

A. KGhostview is a really crappy program. I recommend evince (open source) or Adobe Acrobat Reader for Linux (not open source but is guaranteed to work).
B. KGhostview will display Current.pdf if you turn off anti-aliasing:

1. Open Current.pdf in KGhostview. You will see 12 blank pages.
2. Go to: Settings -> Configure KGhostView...
3. Make sure that "Enable anti-aliasing of fonts and images" is NOT enabled.
4. Click OK. All of the pages should now become visible, but they are no longer anti-aliased so it looks really crappy. See point A. above.

Russell Kanning

I see
I pointed it out in the first place in case the pdf could be improved

Lex

Quote from: Russell Kanning on July 03, 2008, 12:42 PM NHFT
I see
I pointed it out in the first place in case the pdf could be improved

I don't think there is anything wrong with the PDF. It worked flawlessly in every other PDF application I've tried under Linux.

Russell Kanning

Dan

It looked great in evince.

What publishing program are you using?  Kat switched to Scribus-Ng and at least liked it at some point. 

I do criticize the lack of full text justification in your columns.  It's an aesthetic, but an important one.