• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Dealing with the high cost of food - canning meats

Started by NJLiberty, May 12, 2008, 10:59 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

porcupine kate

Mine is a pressure canner.  I called it a cooker by mistake.

dalebert

I'm interested also. I didn't realize canning required a special device. My impression was just that you get it hot enough to kill everything including the lids, close it, and when it cools, that creates a vacuum that seals it against any intrusion. So much more for me to learn. I've had some really good canned food and I love a good soup. This seems like a great way to save money and be prepared at the same time.

doobie

Quote from: dalebert on May 14, 2008, 12:38 PM NHFT
I'm interested also. I didn't realize canning required a special device. My impression was just that you get it hot enough to kill everything including the lids, close it, and when it cools, that creates a vacuum that seals it against any intrusion. So much more for me to learn. I've had some really good canned food and I love a good soup. This seems like a great way to save money and be prepared at the same time.

Dale,

Your impression *almost* correct, only one flaw in the logic.  Low acidic foods cannot get hot enough for proper storage at 1 atm.  At 1 atm water boils at 212F.  You need 240F to kill the nasties.  Usually using 10 atm and cooking for 45 minutes to 1.5 hours at said pressure/temperature.  More time if you are cooking something containing bones or is very dense.

You can however can high-acidic objects.  One thing you need to be careful about (especially with tomatoes), is that depending on how ripe it is when picked the acidity can vary.

dalebert

NJLiberty

I used to dry more foods than I do now. The six year won't keep her hands off the goodies drying on the racks :)

My daughter is odd in that if you offer her candy/ice cream or fruits/vegetables she is more likely to pick the fruits and veggies, not that that is a bad thing of course. Yesterday we were in the produce store and she was in front of a the display of organic chocolates, dried fruits, and nuts, and out of all that she decided she wanted the roasted peanuts in the shell...go figure. I chose the chocolate  ;)

The price of food here in NJ seems to have stabilized somewhat. Meat hasn't really changed any in a month. The price of milk has gone down about 70 cents a gallon over the last few weeks, back to $3-$3.25 per gallon depending on what you buy. Staples are about the same as they have always been. Potatoes were 29 cents a pound yesterday. Onions were 39 to 69 cents a pound. What is expensive right now are the "summer" veggies, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, etc. I finally bought butter again. We had been without for several weeks because I wouldn't pay what they were asking for it. They finally put it up for sale at $1.67 per pound so I stocked up again. Corn oil is through the roof, over $4 per half gallon, but I don't use that so I don't really care. If I use oil at all it is either olive oil, or canola oil, neither price has gone up there.

George