• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Open Carry in LA Times

Started by Kat Kanning, June 09, 2008, 07:38 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

margomaps

Considering the source, I found the article to be quite balanced and free of anti-gun hysteria.  Not bad.   :)

41mag

Anyone want to invite the author up to PorcFest?   >:D

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: margomaps on June 09, 2008, 10:52 AM NHFT
Considering the source, I found the article to be quite balanced and free of anti-gun hysteria.  Not bad.   :)

I know. I was surprised.

Dylboz

I've open carried a lot here in Tucson, and never been hassled by the cops, they know better here. Arizona is a profoundly pro-gun state. Shall issue, open carry, pre-emption, no waiting periods and no California or Massachusetts style "assault weapon" restrictions. Our legislature is about to approve a law that lets a gun be carried anywhere in a car without running afoul of the law. Right now, it has to be in the glove box, another compartment with a latching door, or in a case, not to be considered concealed (thus requiring the CCW permit). On the other hand, if it is in plain sight, it's cool. And that's loaded.

I wish everywhere was that way. New Hampshire doesn't seem to have a pervasive gun culture, nor do the cops seem well educated in the state's gun laws regarding open carry. I know you guys are doing good work on that front, but it seems like a long hard battle remains to be fought for acceptance.

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: Dylboz on June 09, 2008, 02:36 PM NHFT
New Hampshire doesn't seem to have a pervasive gun culture,
It does. There are gun shows all the time up here, and lots of gun stores. Its all over the place.

Quote from: Dylboz on June 09, 2008, 02:36 PM NHFT
nor do the cops seem well educated in the state's gun laws regarding open carry.

This is true.

MaineShark

Quote from: Dylboz on June 09, 2008, 02:36 PM NHFTI wish everywhere was that way. New Hampshire doesn't seem to have a pervasive gun culture...

Heh.  NH is the most heavily-armed place (of appreciable size - obviously a police station averages more guns per capita than the whole state average) on the planet, last I checked.

Joe

Dylboz

Really? Well how come those open carriers get so much shit from the cops? Wasn't Dave Ridely held at gun point for a while? I said "seems" because well, that's the way it seems from here. Guess I'm glad to be wrong, I just hope the cops come around.

Also, I should say I wish it was at least as good as Arizona everywhere, it could still be better, by that I mean more free.

MaineShark

Quote from: Dylboz on June 09, 2008, 03:23 PM NHFTReally? Well how come those open carriers get so much shit from the cops? Wasn't Dave Ridely held at gun point for a while? I said "seems" because well, that's the way it seems from here. Guess I'm glad to be wrong, I just hope the cops come around.

Because there are a few jackasses around who think that if they harass us, we'll just give up.  Often imports from other states, trying to force NH to become whatever they just left...

Joe

KBCraig

Quote from: Dylboz on June 09, 2008, 03:23 PM NHFT
Really? Well how come those open carriers get so much shit from the cops? Wasn't Dave Ridely held at gun point for a while?

No.

QuoteI said "seems" because well, that's the way it seems from here.

I guess you only watched the couple of reports were people were hassled, and not all the reports of litter pickups, etc., where no one said anything negative.

Kat Kanning

Zim was held at gunpoint.  I'm not sure if you'd call what he was doing open carry though.  He had a loaded gun in his car and no concealed carry permit.

Dylboz

Kat, in AZ, that's legal.

OK KB, I did see the litter pick up story, which was a publicity event that had advance warning and was expected by the cops. Who was it that was held at gunpoint in that video I saw? I swear it was Dave, I know it was a Murphy's regular. It was all over YouTube!

What the heck is wrong with having a gun in your car? ZIM was doing nothing wrong.

BTW - Are you angry at me, KBCraig?

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: Dylboz on June 09, 2008, 11:30 PM NHFT
Kat, in AZ, that's legal.

OK KB, I did see the litter pick up story, which was a publicity event that had advance warning and was expected by the cops. Who was it that was held at gunpoint in that video I saw? I swear it was Dave, I know it was a Murphy's regular. It was all over YouTube!

What the heck is wrong with having a gun in your car? ZIM was doing nothing wrong.

BTW - Are you angry at me, KBCraig?

Dave was stopped by a couple of cops because he was open carrying. Zim had a cop pull a gun on him.

MaineShark

Quote from: Dylboz on June 09, 2008, 11:30 PM NHFTOK KB, I did see the litter pick up story, which was a publicity event that had advance warning and was expected by the cops. Who was it that was held at gunpoint in that video I saw? I swear it was Dave, I know it was a Murphy's regular. It was all over YouTube!

Ridley was harassed because he refused to present ID, if I recall correctly.

In the big cities like Manch, the cops will sometimes come over and say, "hello" if they see someone open-carrying, in order to make sure the individual doesn't seem altered or somesuch.  A nuisance, but they don't do it often.  They happened to ask Dave to identify himself, and he refused, and that's what they got all freaked-out about.

During that same time period, a number of us we would often be hanging out on the sidewalk in front of Murphy's, so that the smokers could smoke.  So, half a dozen to a dozen folks on the sidewalk in a crowd, 90% open-carrying.  Other than being stared-at by the occasional passing motorist who was up here from Mass, I can't recall any incidents.

Quote from: Dylboz on June 09, 2008, 11:30 PM NHFTWhat the heck is wrong with having a gun in your car? ZIM was doing nothing wrong.

NH law considers a gun in a car to be concealed, regardless of whether it is visible.  Carrying concealed and loaded is illegal without a CCW.  If the magazine was removed, it would have been legal to conceal or carry in a car.

So no, he wasn't doing anything wrong - he was just doing something illegal.

Joe

error

I sent the following LTE to the Union Leader:

It's time for gun owners to come out of the closet.

Many of us own guns to protect ourselves and those around us from criminals. Yet too many of us hide this fact by carrying handguns concealed.

Open carry is a growing movement across the country among gun owners who choose to carry openly, both as a deterrent to crime and to educate people in their communities.

In Manchester, most open carry activists live in Ward 5, near the area where Officer Michael Briggs was killed. These are people who, by carrying their firearms in plain sight, make the statement that they are willing to risk their lives to ensure that violent criminals will not kill a police officer or anyone else.

People who choose to carry their firearms openly deserve our thanks, and those gun owners among us who still carry concealed, or do not carry, should consider carrying openly. You can find more information on open carry at www.opencarry.org.