• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH soil maps

Started by slim, June 10, 2008, 11:20 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

Does anyone know where to find soil maps of NH? I would like to find places where different crops would be likely grow.

Ron Helwig

Quote from: slim on June 10, 2008, 11:20 AM NHFT
Does anyone know where to find soil maps of NH? I would like to find places where different crops would be likely grow.
Soil maps?  :D

I thought you figured out where you wanted crops, then brought in the soil. At least that's what we're doing here at Little Minnesota.

slim

Quote from: Ron Helwig on June 10, 2008, 03:01 PM NHFT
Soil maps?  :D

I thought you figured out where you wanted crops, then brought in the soil. At least that's what we're doing here at Little Minnesota.

I just think it would be easier to move seeds to the soil then moving hundreds of tons of soil.

doobie

1) Take some soil samples around your property.  Bring it to a co-op/agway, many times they can analyse it.
2) Your soil probably sucks.  You'll probably need to use something to reinforce the 'good stuff', aka manure (unless you want yucky chemicals in your food).
3) Soil can easily vary from house to house, most especially depending on how the property was treated when your house/neighbouring houses were built (aka development, vs home built).

KJM

The US Dept of Agriculture maintains a nifty interactive map called Web Soil Survey that might be of use.